Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
darkness5544

Default problem running xp games on vista

I have a windows vista home premium x64. I am trying to run the games it lists for xp (doesn't run in dosbox, has to be windows). The computer has given me an error on this and some other old games like doom. I ran it in compatability mode and as an administrator. The computer then gives me an error saying it can't find the file, even though I'm looking right at it. I have tried warcraft I and II, photoshop LD, every doom before 3, and various other older games and programs, but it gives me the same error, or can't find some dll file or even though I installed it twice, says it didn't install correctly. Is there a different way to fix this?
darkness5544 is offline                         Send a private message to darkness5544
Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact it's a 64-bit OS. Try using MS Virtual PC.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

virtual machine will work but don't forget that using dosbox is always better
i wonder why does it have to be windows in case of doom and warcraft 1, because it's dos games..

also, this doesn't seem like compatibility issue with 64 bit system. photoshop should run pretty well on 64bit systems. i would suggest reinstalling os
Old 25-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
virtual machine will work but don't forget that using dosbox is always better
i wonder why does it have to be windows in case of doom and warcraft 1, because it's dos games..

also, this doesn't seem like compatibility issue with 64 bit system. photoshop should run pretty well on 64bit systems. i would suggest reinstalling os
Ah, reinstall OS?
Ha ha this is a very good advice..
No, no do it, amigo..
My simple advise is: Before every important step, DO Restore point.
The best way to keep yr OS in good health..:thumbs:
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 26-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
Two Sheds

I have problems occasionally with dosbox and windows 7 (right shift doesn't work, some games the colour messes up in full screen in win 7). I have xp installed as well in a dual boot configuration. If you have an old copy of xp then you can try installing it and having your computer dual boot with xp and vista.
Two Sheds is offline                         Send a private message to Two Sheds
Old 26-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Hi,

I have ME, XP and 7 on 1 PC.
Still i prefer XP but step by step go to platform 7. No any problem to play with DosBox with 7 and no problems to play Ultima 8. The only problem is when by Alt+Enter try to use fullscreen. Anyway this is not fatal problem for me because my monitor is 24 ".

-Right shift - Try to pull out the button and check for any small debris. Attn- this operation must done only when PC is off and el.power to PC off.
This advise is only for desktop PC.
:thumbs:
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 26-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
The only problem is when by Alt+Enter try to use fullscreen. Anyway this is not fatal problem for me because my monitor is 24 ".
Change output= in dosbox conf.
Try output=overlay or something.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 27-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Two Sheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
Hi,

-Right shift - Try to pull out the button and check for any small debris. Attn- this operation must done only when PC is off and el.power to PC off.
This advise is only for desktop PC.
:thumbs:
It's a laptop, and a pretty new one at that. I don't think that is the issue, the right shift works fine 100% of the time in all apps except dosbox so I suspect it may be the keyboard mapping or something. When I boot up in xp the right shift works in dosbox so I don't think it is anything to do with the physical keys, rather the software in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Change output= in dosbox conf.
Try output=overlay or something.
I may try that, although I have a large monitor so most games I play in a window and the game that I was having that issue with (wing commander II) I usually play under dosbox on xp since it's easier to get my ps3 joystick working with xp than 7.
Two Sheds is offline                         Send a private message to Two Sheds
Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
nextinline
Super Freak

Vista (any version 32bit or 64) nativity don't support DOS games, only word ones in windowed mode so use DOSBox
nextinline is offline                         Send a private message to nextinline