Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

I love The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. I love the vast amount of things you can do. I was curious to know what everybody else thought, so I started this topic .
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 19-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Sartoris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V3r3k @ Dec 18 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]271973[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I love The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. I love the vast amount of things you can do. I was curious to know what everybody else thought, so I started this topic .
[/b]
Personally, I think it is one of the worst games ever made, and here are the reasons:

1) bad (really, really bad) story
2) uninteresting characters (I mean how much time has passed since Fallout, Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate, even Jagged Alliance - these games and many more had such memorable and diverse characters, while I couldn't give a damn about those in Oblivion, they're all the same, except for their faces - which are really badly done)
3) AI: non-existent
4) creatures level-up alongside you so that you can be level 20 and still have trouble killing a stupid skeleton with a rusty mace
5) BAD STORY (man, I really hate it)
6) boring enemies (except for the in-the-painting-weird-quest enemies, which were kinda cheesy, but a break in the legions of same old enemies
7) boring copy-paste quests: fetch this, retrieve this, kill that...only the underground has some nice ones, but nothing like in the games from the golden days (the pregnant alley, anyone?)
8) game was done by people who masturbate while making a pretty castle with shiny graphics and can't write an intelligent piece of dialogue
9) characters do not lead individual lives, but only follow a pre-made path of activities and make stupid with small-talk with other dumb characters while making weird and totally-unrealistic hand gestures
10) a huge world where you can't do anything you would really wanna do: oh sure, pick a few chests, steal this and kill that: originality anyone? Non-existent.

So far, The Failure of the Decade.
Sartoris is offline                         Send a private message to Sartoris
Old 21-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

No opinions. Just great.
Great graphics, great world (probably a bit monotony, but you could say about every game like that) - it's far better than its predecessor Morrowind.

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick
Old 21-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sartoris @ Dec 19 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]272133[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V3r3k @ Dec 18 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]271973[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Personally, I think it is one of the worst games ever made, and here are the reasons:

1) bad (really, really bad) story
2) uninteresting characters (I mean how much time has passed since Fallout, Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate, even Jagged Alliance - these games and many more had such memorable and diverse characters, while I couldn't give a damn about those in Oblivion, they're all the same, except for their faces - which are really badly done)
3) AI: non-existent
4) creatures level-up alongside you so that you can be level 20 and still have trouble killing a stupid skeleton with a rusty mace
5) BAD STORY (man, I really hate it)
6) boring enemies (except for the in-the-painting-weird-quest enemies, which were kinda cheesy, but a break in the legions of same old enemies
7) boring copy-paste quests: fetch this, retrieve this, kill that...only the underground has some nice ones, but nothing like in the games from the golden days (the pregnant alley, anyone?)
8) game was done by people who masturbate while making a pretty castle with shiny graphics and can't write an intelligent piece of dialogue
9) characters do not lead individual lives, but only follow a pre-made path of activities and make stupid with small-talk with other dumb characters while making weird and totally-unrealistic hand gestures
10) a huge world where you can't do anything you would really wanna do: oh sure, pick a few chests, steal this and kill that: originality anyone? Non-existent.

So far, The Failure of the Decade.
[/b][/quote]

I completely disagree. I don't care what you think, but I do care that your saying things like that and putting other people off it. Don't listen. Everything is great! The AI is more advanced than anything I have seen anywhere else! Its the best RPG ever (No offence Diablo 2!).
Old 22-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V3r3k @ Dec 18 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]271973[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I don't care what you think, but I do care that your saying things like that and putting other people off it.
[/b]
If you don't care about what other people feel about the game, why start a topic? IMHO Oblivion is a pretty decent game, which has its flaws (as do all games), but I also think people are entitled to have another opinion.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 22-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Himmler
Trollmaster General

Quote:
I was curious to know what everybody else thought, so I started this topic[/b]
Quote:
I don't care what you think[/b]
LOL.
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 22-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Himmler @ Dec 22 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]272370[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LOL.
[/b]
LOL I didn't mean it that way. What I mean't was that he can think what he wants about it but saying things which clearly are not true about TES4 makes me angry :angry: .
Old 22-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Sartoris

The best RPG ever? :wallbash:

And you dare mention Diablo's name in the same sentence with Oblivion? First of all (and the most important), Oblivion is NOT an RPG, it's not even a game. Why? Because, as I said, and you failed to give any valid counter-arguments (except for the immature and ridiculous "I don't care what you think") to my statements, Oblivion does NOT have a story: check out Planescape: Torment and then pass judgments on the quality of a game's story. Oblivion does not have characters, merely pieces of graphics that lash out at you or speak whatever the script tells them, without keeping track of your actions (because of the dumb speech-craft game). Have you ever met the characters from Fallout, those realistic (yes, even the obviously fantastic creatures of Fallout have realistic personalities), flesh-and-blood characters that live their own lives, or at least try to present an engrossing simulation of it? Arcanum's characters? Some from Baldur's Gate? Those from Outcast, or the Ulitma series? Because those had personalities. Oblivion's do not. I can't even remember their names, let alone what each of them was about, or what agenda they were following (if they even had some agenda apart from walk around town, make stupid small talk, eat a piece of bread at an inn, go to sleep, then repeat a thousand times).

You said nothing to counter-argument my statement about Oblivion's quests: they are uninteresting, drawn-out, and often meaningless. Sure, you don't have to do all of them, but is that really what you want to find yourself doing in a game? Dropping a quest for it's sheer lack of originality, and trying real hard to forget all about it, just so your image of the game does not get damaged? That's called being blind to the weak parts of a product. And so you are obviously not being objective.

Try to really analyze the game, without the whole "OMG what shiny graphics" effect clouding your judgment, and then you'll see how its structure falls apart at the first touch of an objective analysis.

And what's all that about me scaring off people from Oblivion? I'm WARNING them, or at least giving them a second opinion. I thought that was the purpose of this topic, to give our OPINIONS about Oblivion?
Because otherwise the topic should be titled "Blatant praising of Oblivion without an ounce of criticism" or something...

Sartoris is offline                         Send a private message to Sartoris
Old 22-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #9
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V3r3k @ Dec 22 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]272392[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Himmler @ Dec 22 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]272370[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LOL.
[/b]
LOL I didn't mean it that way. What I mean't was that he can think what he wants about it but saying things which clearly are not true about TES4 makes me angry :angry: .
[/b][/quote]
things that aren't true in your opinion. yours might be different to other people's opinions. from what i can see, he was just stating his opinion. in my opinion, oblivion isn't "all that" (same with morrowind though) beacuse there is such a thing as being able to do "too much" within a game environment (i mean how much do you get lost in morrowind/oblivion??)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 23-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Wow,wow,wow... That's kinda outrageous. :angry:

Diablo 2 IS a game, and Oblivion not?! The contrary! Diablo 2 is the best sh*t world have ever seen! I played it only to see its add-on Lord of Destruction. Apart from that Diablo 2 is worthless (except videos - they are great indeed). And to compare Diablo and Oblivion - it's like comparing arquebuse and machine gun. Both of them are shooting, but it's obvious who is better.

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick