Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The world is in chaos. Muslims and Europeans are about to go to war and this is what we are discussing?
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Quote:
Originally posted by The Niles@Feb 6 2006, 12:49 AM
The world is in chaos. Muslims and Europeans are about to go to war and this is what er discus?
you have no feelings Niles.... <_< why did you even bother posting?

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 05-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Because I am surprised by the lack of current events threads on this forum.

Maybe you should take a look around yourself. You will find a whole world out there with bigger problems then your own.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 06-02-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by The Niles@Feb 5 2006, 11:49 PM
The world is in chaos. Muslims and Europeans are about to go to war and this is what we are discussing?
At least love is a subject that can be discussed, even if it is not entirely within our ken. For myself, I can not explain how I know that I am in love. If I am in love, I just know it. For better, or for worse, I have experienced love at first sight on six occassions. The first four times, the young woman in question only wanted to be my friend. The fifth time, it was mutual. The sixth time remained a beautiful friendship, and I made a point of never asking how the sixth woman felt. I invited three of the first four to my wedding with the fifth (it was before I met the sixth woman).

The funny thing is that I still cannot believe that people can see each other for the first time and immediately know that they are in love.

The situation between the moslems and the europeans is a depressingly simple one. Moslems hold some things sacred, and the european press not only believes that nothing is sacred, but feels that its viewpoint is the only valid one. Moslems view pictures of The Prophet (let alone caricatures of him), with the same feelings as Moses looked upon the golden calf. The moslems asked that these profane images not be printed, and the response of the press was to spread these images to an even larger audience, while calling the moslems a bunch of intolerant bigots. What response were the newspaper editors expecting?

The violence of the moslem mobs is inexcusable. The first printing of the cartoons could be excused due to ignorance, but to defend them and republish them shows a deliberate cultural insensitivity, if not outright malice. So, the outrage expressed by the moslem world is hardly surprising.

This extremism is not peculiar to the moslem world, just ask an american about flag burning.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by The Niles@Feb 6 2006, 01:49 AM
Naturally.

Muslims and Europe... How is that devided? Muslims are a religious group and EU is a democratic comunity based on liberal views which charish the religious tolerance - everybody can believe whatever they want. There's a large number of Muslims in Europe, so if Europe would go to war with Muslims, it would acctually go into a civil war against itself.
Why would you want to discus such a silly thing?
It's payback time for the crusades, when Europeans had nothing better to do then to go cross the sea and fight people because they had their own uninteligent christian prejudices. It was bound to happen.

So carring for the silly little things a love is always a good thing. Love is the answer against the prejudices of the world (love, respect and tolerance) and if people would spend more time improveing their own lives and would really be honest about their own emotions there would be far lesser chances of any wars to break out.

So, when do you know you're in love...

There are many stages. First one is phisical attraction. This would mean you won't be able to take the eyes off that person and everytime s/he looks at you you'll be feeling really weird (like having stage fright).
Second stage is romance. This is the part most often talked about. It's the time of courtship, when one or the other (or both) make little (or bigger) things to convince the other person they're the right one. It's the time of dating, the time when the rest of the world dissappeares.
And then comes the difficoult time - living together. You won't know a person well enough, until you live with that person for a while. That's when you get to know the habits of that person. It's hard to adjust yourself to living with another (and vice versa). Many people who rush into relationship find this extremely difficult, that's why so many relationships fall apart.
After you finally adjustet to the other person comes the settling down part - and a life long partnership. Then come all the joys of a family life.

There are other kinds of love as well (but I assume you ment the love between two people - probably of different genders - who wish to spend more time together). If you were to talk about loving nature, then you should probably join a Greenpeace site or something...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by The Niles@Feb 5 2006, 11:06 PM
Because I am surprised by the lack of current events threads on this forum.

Maybe you should take a look around yourself. You will find a whole world out there with bigger problems then your own.
The thing that makes me wonder the most is why you haven't made that thread yourself :blink:

But you have to remember that the world isn't just about the bad things. Of course, the things that are happening now are horrible. Believe me, I know it. My country has been threatened, and I'll be moving to Denmark soon myself.
So at least I'm not prancing around all happy and jolly, although I'm not discussing those matters here. We all know how discussions here tend to go, especially those concerning religions. This is a very delicate matter! I wouldn't want to discuss it here. I discuss it with my friends and family, but not with people that I don't know at all, people that might judge me or people I might judge.

So why not just keep this place nice, sweet and free of worries? I'd much rather discuss love, books and where Omuletzu went, than this.

I know I'm terribly off topic, but I just had to get this out. I'll stop now
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Seb, I cannot agree more k: Tolerance and the willing to listen to the other side's opinion is something lost to this world. Something that surprisingly I found here on Abandonia. See? We discuss matters calmly and more frquently than just fight and argue about it. Here are people who willing to listen and discuss not just flame.

As for the muslims, I really don't know. Me not being a religious man for exactly THIS kinda behavior. Religion is bad, makes people fight. I don't say having faith in something is bad or God don't exist, but the commercialization of a faith is the worst thing. And it's dangerous, as you can clearly see. I believe all people should be left the chance to find his/her own belief, a thing that could be relied on when the time comes, not just some zealots stone cold beliefs. Religion caused the most wars around the world, from little tribal desputes to Crusades and the WWII's holocaust.

Love is the exact matter. Every single people feel love sometimes, and that's what keeps them going. The love term is most commonly used beetween two people, but love can be towards God, towards a moment in live, a pet and so on. If love didn't exist, we would be long extinct...

Quote:
I wonder how many special people can there be?
That depends dude. There is a rediculusly small chance that you find your lifelong mate at first love. It is a small chance but it is possible however. Some people never finds it, thus has more special someones in his/her life. That always depends on if you feel good together in the long run. There is no exact number, you have your own destiny dude k:

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin@Feb 6 2006, 12:47 AM
And Niles, maybe it's because of those negative things that are going on in the world that we need a topic like this.
I agree. People may die, but love never will.
And, are you referring to the whole mohammed thing or just the man being shot in Afghanistan?
Anyway, I don't think this thing should EVER be discussed here. This is an international forum with maaaany different religions and opinions, and discussions about such things can only end in mayhem. That is also why I think you should not have posted that cartoon. Funny or not funny, the timing is not right. As you said, there's people killing each other already, and you are posting cartoons. Just not cool.

P.S.:
Everything in this post is my opinion and in no way meant to be offensive to anyone.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 06-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Playbahnosh@Feb 6 2006, 08:22 AM

As for the muslims, I really don't know. Me not being a religious man for exactly THIS kinda behavior. Religion is bad, makes people fight. I don't say having faith in something is bad or God don't exist, but the commercialization of a faith is the worst thing. And it's dangerous, as you can clearly see. I believe all people should be left the chance to find his/her own belief, a thing that could be relied on when the time comes, not just some zealots stone cold beliefs. Religion caused the most wars around the world, from little tribal desputes to Crusades and the WWII's holocaust.
Before you claim that religion is bad, it is important to realise the following:

Hitler --> athiest
Lenin --> athiest
Mao Tse Tung --> athiest
Stalin --> athiest
Pol Pot --> athiest
Saddam Hussein --> athiest

Athiests were responsible for killing more than a hundred million people in the last century, and most of them were citizens of their own country.

There are some who would add Pope John Paul II to the list of twentieth century mass murderers for not endorsing condom use (he advocated not going to prostitutes and saving sex for marriage), but relgious figures are conspicuous by their absence from the list of people that have killed millions of people.

I am sorry to correct you, Sebastianos, but religion is not tolerated in europe. You can practice any faith that you choose, but only so long as you do not express that faith in public life. This is not tolerance, it is the universal oppression of all faith. Are religious symbols still banned in French schools?

Quote:
And then comes the difficoult time - living together. You won't know a person well enough, until you live with that person for a while. That's when you get to know the habits of that person. It's hard to adjust yourself to living with another (and vice versa). Many people who rush into relationship find this extremely difficult, that's why so many relationships fall apart.
After you finally adjustet to the other person comes the settling down part - and a life long partnership. Then come all the joys of a family life.
If you enter a relationship with the expectation that it could fail, you are sowing the seeds of failure. That is why couples who live together before getting married are more likely to divorce than couples that just get married. If you have doubts about the success of living together, save everyone the trouble and just break up. If you have no doubts, just get married.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 06-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell@Feb 6 2006, 02:57 PM
You can practice any faith that you choose, but only so long as you do not express that faith in public life. This is not tolerance, it is the universal oppression of all faith. Are religious symbols still banned in French schools?
Why is it neccisary for people to express their religion in public? Religion is, in my opinion, a private matter. It's nobody's business whether I'm atheist, muslim, protestant, catholic, buddisth, whatever. It's my own business and nobody elses. I really don't see the need of people advertising their faith.

About John Paul II. You think he should encourage people to go to prostitutes and have sex before marriage? Ok, he's too radical in the condom thingy in my opinion, but avoiding prostitutes and sex before marriage makes sense to me. I'm not saying that I wouldn't, (have sex before marriage, that is, prostitutes aren't really the thing for me), but it actually a pretty smart thing.
And I'm pretty sure that the fact he says "don't use contraception" isn't really stopping people from doing so.... So I wouldn't really call him a mass murderer.
But.. off topic... sorry

The ironic part about many wars in history is that many of them were fought for love... but ended up breaking more hearts than healing...
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin