Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Ultimate Carl

Default Help Finding Three Games (With VERY Vague Descriptions)

Okay, so I'm not so good at remembering, but I wanna try and find some of these again. So, thanks in advance if you can help any.

The first I remember getting the shareware off of one of those "1000+ Great Games!" that I bought in the mid 90s. It was... I THINK an RPG, but you may not have leveled up and stuff. I'm pretty sure you did, though. I definitely remember it being medieval fantasy. DOS-based. top-down view, and I don't remember it being turn based. I THINK you could pick classes, but I can't remember 100%. You could pick up items lying around, and I don't remember music. The only area you could go around in the shareware was a kind of forest/cave. I also remember it being really hard, but that may have just been because I was a really stupid kid.

The second game came off of the same disc, also shareware, but this one ran in Windows. I think it had some generic name like "3D Fighter" or something. But, it was a 3D (VERY, VERY basic. Think Star Fox-esque, single-color polygons graphics) beat-'em-up that I also remember being very difficult. The characters had big block heads, but the fronts were textured 2D images of faces, while the rest of the bodies were just solid colors (usually blue for pants, maybe some brown shoes, and the rest was red. I think the fists at least were flesh colored). There was an option to load in pictures from your computer to use as the face textures, so you could theoretically play using your own face.

The last... I don't remember where I played it, or even when really, but it's been at least four years or so. I think it might have been DOS... Either way, I remember playing it fullscreen. It was newer than the other two, or at least by a more professional company, because the graphics were better. 3D, I think, and around early Playstation quality. It was a 3D shooter, but different because I remember it had a very unique camera. I remember it being a sort of isometric, bird's eye view... But it would always stay behind your character and would follow you. So it wasn't quite a usual isometric, and it wasn't quite your normal 3rd-person. Set in modern day or at least near future, as a lot of the guns were pretty normal and not lasers and stuff. I also remember it being really hard, and I THINK it had a darker theme, where enemies were zombies and other types of monsters, but I could be remembering wrong. I also remember... Having to run to a truck? That may not have been an objective, just something I did because I was gonna die.

You know, I said something about how all of those were hard... But I was probably just a bad gamer as a kid. Anyway, sorry for the vagueness of these descriptions, but this is honestly about all I can remember about these games, other than that I really liked them. Take certain things I said with a grain of salt, because my memory is a bit fuzzy. If you can think of a game that sounds CLOSE but doesn't match up exactly with one or two things I said, suggest it anyway because I'm probably just remembering wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Ultimate Carl is offline                         Send a private message to Ultimate Carl
Old 25-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
MugsyNJ1

The first game is too vague for me to venture a guess...

The second game sounds like 4-D Sports Boxing.

The last game sounds a lot like Resident Evil 2..Especially the part about running to the truck since there are a lot of outdoor locations in it.
MugsyNJ1 is offline                         Send a private message to MugsyNJ1
Old 25-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Ultimate Carl

Unfortunately, neither of those are right. Thanks for guessing, anyway!

I'll look into 4D Sports Boxing, though, it seems kinda' neat.
Ultimate Carl is offline                         Send a private message to Ultimate Carl
Old 25-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Carl View Post
The last... I don't remember where I played it, or even when really, but it's been at least four years or so. I think it might have been DOS... Either way, I remember playing it fullscreen. It was newer than the other two, or at least by a more professional company, because the graphics were better. 3D, I think, and around early Playstation quality. It was a 3D shooter, but different because I remember it had a very unique camera. I remember it being a sort of isometric, bird's eye view... But it would always stay behind your character and would follow you. So it wasn't quite a usual isometric, and it wasn't quite your normal 3rd-person. Set in modern day or at least near future, as a lot of the guns were pretty normal and not lasers and stuff. I also remember it being really hard, and I THINK it had a darker theme, where enemies were zombies and other types of monsters, but I could be remembering wrong. I also remember... Having to run to a truck? That may not have been an objective, just something I did because I was gonna die.
Could it have been SIN or SIN: Wages of Sin?
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 25-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Ultimate Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Nah, I specifically remember it not being first person... But thanks for the guess!
Old 26-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
Tamrhind

Lightbulb Name of the Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
One I remember that had a weird - and, for me, hard-to-control - cameras was "Die By The Sword", a mediaeval knight errant kinda game, sort of RPG-FPS hybrid. from what little I remember
Tamrhind is offline                         Send a private message to Tamrhind
Old 26-07-2008, 02:58 AM   #7
Ultimate Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamrhind View Post
One I remember that had a weird - and, for me, hard-to-control - cameras was "Die By The Sword", a mediaeval knight errant kinda game, sort of RPG-FPS hybrid. from what little I remember
I always wanted to play that, and I even borrowed it from a friend once and couldn't get it to work on Vista. It sounded like Rune: Viking Warlord and I LOVE that game... Unfortunately, it's not what I was thinking of. Thanks for trying, though.

Geez, I know this is REALLY vague. Thanks for all the guesses, though, really. Sorry for not being more helpful!
Old 27-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
4bit

#1 sounds like Castle of the Winds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds
4bit is offline                         Send a private message to 4bit
Old 27-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you could use game browser from mobygames, it has pretty neat filters, maybe you will recognise something
Old 27-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Ultimate Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bit View Post
#1 sounds like Castle of the Winds.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds
Not it, but definitely seems neat. I'll check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
you could use game browser from mobygames, it has pretty neat filters, maybe you will recognise something
Wow, I didn't know they had this. Thanks, I'll try it!