Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 17-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #31
Saccade
[BANNED]

Tetris block as character doesn't work as well - no genetic alteration of the type - BUT - they could genetically alter into a tetris block!

And the idea of the optional objective making it easier at the end (like Arena storyline in Oblivion) is an excellent idea I would never have thought of.

Thanks!

Keep them ideas coming guys!
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 19-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #32
esgmaster
Super Freak

You could have puzzles at the end where there's a huge garrison, but if you get Caleb to join you you only have to open the door, one where there's an engineer you have to trick into opening the door, but if the girls from The Last Half of Darkness join you, you have to figure out the code yourself, and one where there's a ultra tough guard, but if you get Freddy Kruger to join you, just have to open the door.
esgmaster is offline                         Send a private message to esgmaster
Old 19-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #33
Saccade
[BANNED]

So, multiple solutions to the same puzzle...
Depending on how you played the game so far..?

That sounds good.

It could lead to several different endings. Even at any stage in the game. (eg. you could just decide to go home to bed with Carmen Sandiego when you catch her to get her Chronoskimmer)

dammit - just gave that answer away...

BUT: If you had all the characters from the games you'd saved (Prince of Persia, Guybrush, Max Remmington, Carmen, Caleb, etc...) you could totally kick some major arse and get the highest score possible in the game.

hmmmm - this is getting complicated.
I think this is going to take me quite a while to finish writing even just the descriptions and dialogue.
Even longer to put it into Text Adventure Development System...

At least I have made a start and am doing a little each day (I am writing one major scene description, at least, each day).
But I must still write my three pages of my own work a day - that takes priority.
And, in the evenings, I make notes for games reviews and write stubs to elaborate upon.

I think I am doing more writing now, that I am not a contracted writer (just commissioned), than I ever have done...

Abandonia is good for you!
Cheers guys - Keep 'em coming!!!
Old 20-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #34
punch999
The true Shadow President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanifestdestiny View Post
what's it made in?

I made it in 2004 using Game Maker 6.0 I was crazy inexperienced in it (Not to mention 12 years old) But yeah it's here on the forum somewhere. Just need to go fishing.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 20-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #35
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Wooo, im here, im excited!

(your naked act was the whole bollocks and frolicing nonsense, it's in my siggy)

Woo this'll be neat though, but in good abandonian fashion, i suppose you'll

a. Be putting in popular communist members, such as the usual Chat Box group

b. Putting in some scenes that will be sort of taken from old games (e.g mayhap you did a puzzle and got sucked into a game? I'd love to be thrown in like, Fallout, regardless of the factthat you can't download it)

EDIT: Nevermind, i just read Saccades latest post, i should really read before i post, shouldn't i?

c. Putting in catchy, and sometimes annoying music, like most old games have!

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 21-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #36
esgmaster
Super Freak

Have when the player is in a game they can control the character from that game and at the end, and if you're trapping forum members in games trap me in X-Com 3.
esgmaster is offline                         Send a private message to esgmaster
Old 21-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #37
The_Lemming
The King of the Lemmings

You could have forum members trapped in the various games by members of the ESA. (Have me be trapped in Lemmings, please!)

And maybe at the end of the game, your goal could be to rescue Kosta, who has been kidnapped by the head of the ESA!

"When Microsoft starts making software for Linux, it means I've won."
--Linus Torvalds
The_Lemming is offline                         Send a private message to The_Lemming
Old 21-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #38
Saccade
[BANNED]

I don't think this game will have anything to do with Kosta Krauth, Lemming...

But it will now involve Lemmings in some form or other! As characters or puzzle pieces (or both, perhaps, idk..?).
I'm trying to keep Forum people out of the script as much as possible as, even though it is an AB based game, I don't want it to be limited by how well you know someone.
There may well be some forum puzzles in there, though!

At some point you will have to visit the AB forum to finish a puzzle.
You'll may also have to download a few of the games in order to know what to do next.

eg - how will you know where to put the sword for Prince of Persia's to find unless you have played the first level of the very first PoP?
It's in a certain position and near certain things. You also don't leave PoP until you have not only left the Sword for Him to find, but also a "secret" area that you'd only know if you'd explored the first level - that's how you get in, and out, of that part of the game.

I've started looking at actually programming this into TADS and have made a start on the first chapter, so that I can post it; so people can tell me what they think.
I think that the TADS side of it is going to take quite a while longer than the actual writing of the game.

There's not going to be an estimated finish date on this project for quite some time...
But I hope to have an estimate on when the first chapter (which will be a complete game, just with a hanging ending and stuff) soon, though.

I'm going to work on it when I can't sleep when I'm on holiday in a few weeks. If my foot is still fubar'd that I can't go trekking and climbing, I will probably be programming the TADS bit during the days too.

I just got a new router and I think that it has solved my FTP errors, so I'm going to concentrate on uploading my backlog of stuff until then.

Still gonna need ideas and suggestions for the rest of it though! Idk how long to make it, as its a Text Adventure.
Seven is a lucky number and Eight is magic. But seven is also a prime number and there are a few (fairly easy) maths problems in there - especially to do with the mapping. Since one of them involves Prime Numbers, I think that Seven is a good number of Chapters / Ranks / Missions for the game to have.

This is turning out to be a much larger project than I first anticipated, but I will finish it and post it around.
Not only will it be (what I think is) a fun piece of Interactive Fiction, it'll also be some Viral advertising for Abandonia! If people play it, they will have to visit here (so long as they read the FAQ or don't get the hint from the title of the game...).

I forgot about Lemmings - that's a good one, thanks.

Being "sucked" into the game you are playing is a good one, Fubb - it has given me the opener and starting descriptions that I needed - so thanks Fubb.

It may not be X-Com III, esgmaster, but I am planning on using a few of the forum people as NPC's - I'll make sure that you hold the key to solving a puzzle to do with UFO or something similar that can be downloaded from Abandonia!

Nice one guys - please keep them coming!
Old 21-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #39
Saccade
[BANNED]

If anyone wants to take this project over from me - I'll give you all I have done so far (and TADS isn't that difficult to figure out if I can do it!).

I've just had a major drop in enthusiasm that feels as if it won't recover.
Old 21-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #40
punch999
The true Shadow President

lol Welcome to the real world. Don't post about your genius projects until you've actually done a lot with it. It's screwed a lot of people and made them look like idiots, Me,chickenman (If anyone remembers he made about 10 games on abandonia he never finished) and various other people.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Closed Thread