Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Win 3.11 will do with a generic VGA driver. Any card will do, 1 MB memory being about what you need.
However, you'd be better off with Win 95 - trust me on that. There is a number of Windows games you wouldn't be able to run on 3.11, not to mention a bunch of useful programs.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
dr_doom_man

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 7 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]242092[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Win 3.11 will do with a generic VGA driver. Any card will do, 1 MB memory being about what you need.
However, you'd be better off with Win 95 - trust me on that. There is a number of Windows games you wouldn't be able to run on 3.11, not to mention a bunch of useful programs.
[/b]
well, i already have it running on a generic vga driver, but most programs have problems, and they say that they would run best with 256 colors. i try'd switching to all the other drivers included (which all said 256 color next to them), but they really messed windows up, and i had to use the windows\setup in dos to fix it. If there is any way to use 256 colors under the default vga driver than let me know.

oh, and i might just use windows 95, but i was first going to at least try 3.11, you know, "for old times sake". I never actually had a computer with windows 95 on it, i just skipped dtraight from 3.11 to 98, plus i still have all sorts of old floppys and cd's for our old 3.11 programs, so i just kinda decided i would start at 3.11 and go from there. Plus its not like i am going to do anything even remotely modern modern on that computer, I have a pentium D 3.2 Ghz, nvidia 7800 gtx and 2 gigabytes of ram for that ....
dr_doom_man is offline                         Send a private message to dr_doom_man
Old 10-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

i remember having the option to change colour on my graphics card in WIN 3.11. however when you changed it computer rebooted and then loaded windows with propper colour numbers. I know it was 1MB and was a very good company that i think fell appart (cause ATI & other started their vicotry march)

i am not sure what's with these generic build in ones.

how much RAM you have? 32 MB goes good together with WIN 95. I never did like win 3.11 too much although they had some interesting features for the time - like immediate DOS access .
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 27-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
marcin1337
Lurker

wow why no salvaging thats dumb i mean if i just take a ride 4 miles i can salvage how much i can and i got a LOT! like 4 highgrade copper heatsinks a load of ethernet cords sum 128mb GPUS and 1 intel p4 1 ghz computer and a at a otha place i found a lot of software and i even found a working laptop tv tuner!

and btw how is this a new computer wahts the point it not good at server hosting and u can just use cpu killledr if ur computer is too fast

marcin1337 is offline                         Send a private message to marcin1337
Old 31-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
and btw how is this a new computer wahts the point it not good at server hosting and u can just use cpu killledr if ur computer is too fast[/b]
The point? Well, playing old games on a 100% compatibile system.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr_Doom_Man @ Jun 23 2006, 06:33 AM) [snapback]239000[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, i didn't know where else in the forums to put this, but this weekend i am going to see if i can get me a brand new old computer. I am not sure whether or not i will get all of the necessary parts, but i am going to try my hardest.

I call it Dumpster Diving. You see, the dump near my house has a computer section, that has a "absolutely no salvaging" sign over it, so me and a good friend figure that we might as well lighten their load of old computer parts. we will have to sneak into the dump at night, hop a fence or two and "break into" the computer section. I have already done this once before, and i made out with some old processors, a harddrive, and a bucketload of ram, although last time I had no intention of building a completely new computer. well, considering my last success, I decided that I would go back with the intention of building a completely old-game compatible computer.

out of anticipation I have already rounded up my dos 6.22 and windows 3.11 install disks, and my windows entertainment pack cd. I should have an update on sunday as to what i find, so cross your fingers. if you have any last minute suggestions (ie parts to look for, etc.) then reply away. if not..... reply away!
[/b]
I like you're style, kid. Remmember tho, that if the guys who run the place keep shooting at you long enough - they're gona get lucky, so run like the wind, man.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 01-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #17
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

I advise bringing the P90. It's perfect for that purpose.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 14-08-2006, 03:45 AM   #18
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Ohand if you get shot at if you have somthing big and the guys shoot ing you is gaing on you chuck it at him if it kbocks him out grab what you were carrying and run if you kill him hide the body. k:
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98