Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 15-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
red_avatar
Administrator

This game was reviewed in the first PC magazine I bought back in 1993 - got only 6/10 though (PC Review) although I think it's worth more than that. It's a game where patience is rewarding although there's several areas where you can get stuck because you forgot to do something earlier in the game (which is incidentally why it received a low mark). That's why I always keep a lot of saves and the solution handy, so I can check to see if I made any big slip ups.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 15-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Flop
Hero Gamer

Great to see it up, but I would've thought you'd put up the first one first. And íf I remember correctly I uploaded this one as well as reviewed it.

Great game, though, I recommend it for everybody.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 15-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #4

What's the secret to saving your game? I've got the save path in the legend.ini set to the same folder as the game (C:\GAMES\Gateway2), and every time I save my game, it goes through all the motions, but selecting the restore function prompts the game to inform me that there ARE no saved games. This game looks totally radtacular, but I'll be very hard pressed to beat the whole thing in one go, aye?

Old 15-06-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Maybe you need to add \Save or something to that line, or create the folder yourself (similar problem arises with Crusader saves and is solved by creating the Save directory manually)? I'm just guessing here, not played it. You using DOSBox?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 15-06-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Jun 16 2005, 12:06 AM
What's the secret to saving your game? I've got the save path in the legend.ini set to the same folder as the game (C:\GAMES\Gateway2), and every time I save my game, it goes through all the motions, but selecting the restore function prompts the game to inform me that there ARE no saved games. This game looks totally radtacular, but I'll be very hard pressed to beat the whole thing in one go, aye?
Are you running the game in DOSbox? If so, the path should be changed to whatever directory the game appears in, in DOSbox.

Edit: Meaning that if you have mounted the c:\games folder as your c drive, the save path should just be c:\gateway2.
Old 16-06-2005, 01:56 AM   #7

Aha, I've got it working; I found out that it kept saving in C:\Games, as opposed to the directory specified in the .ini, and after further experimentation, found that setting ALL of the paths to C:\Games fixed this weird problem. Thanks, peoples of undetermined genders!

Old 18-06-2005, 03:52 AM   #8
Samir.Punk

HEY EVERYBODY, IF YOU REALLY WANNA SAVE AND PLAY THE GAME NORMALLY, DO AS FOLLOW:::::::::Install the game on THIS AND ONLY ON THIS folder:::C:\gateway2
as simple as that.... and it gonna work perfectly(note to don't put space or anything else or the game won't recognize the directory) HAVE FUN....the game is really great.

Old 20-06-2005, 12:14 AM   #9
Diamond

Hope you don't mind me adding onto this thread with another problem. I've downloaded it. Set it to run under DosBox. I have played around with the Legend.CFG file and tried to set all the paths to the correct directory, but when I load up the game, it is a black screen. I still get sound. If I hit escape a couple of times, it will take me to the play screen in full text mode. When I click to the half screen -- the picture box stays blank. Also when the next cut scene comes in, the screen turns black. It's like it can't find any of the pictures/video.

Any thoughts as to why it's not pulling in the pictures/video?

Thanks!

Old 20-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #10
Flop
Hero Gamer

Hmm, what directory did you put the game in, in DOSbox? Remeber that dos isn't fond of directorie names (and file names) with more than eight letters. If the name of the directory is more than eight letters it will probably look something like this in dosbox: gatewa~1, which could be a problem if the path in the ini file is "c:\gateway 2 - homeworld".