Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Moving the "download" button and the extras (including forum link) to the bottom of the review page. Since some of the reviews contain additional info on game controls or information neccesary to get the game running, we often end up with dummies who ignore the review, just download the game and later complain on the forum when the answer was under their very noses from the start.
2. Dividing the database entries for review text into two: one for the review text and the other for any technical notes that may be helpful/neccesary for running the game. Display-wise, the review would be shown first and then the technical stuff just like now. Why make a change when nothing changes _visually_? Read the next point.
3. A change in the download page linked to from the "Get It!" button on the review page. Specifically, making it display several lines of text based on the compatibility data present in the database plus the content of the technical notes entry for that game (if any are stored in the database).
4. Making the compatibility icons more prominent! Right now they are far too easy to overlook.
5. Same like HOTU does for a long time, turn the Producer/Publisher names into links to a list of games developed and/or published by the given company.
6. While we're talking about the Oldwarez List, inputting search parameters in the URL may be useful - that way, a user can post a link to results of a specific search in the list (which isn't possible at the moment)
7. And finally, yet another suggestion for the list: making it more obvious if a game has an entry on Abandonia or not. Maybe an icon or something.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ May 23 2007, 03:21 PM) [snapback]291014[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
1. Moving the "download" button and the extras (including forum link) to the bottom of the review page. Since some of the reviews contain additional info on game controls or information neccesary to get the game running, we often end up with dummies who ignore the review, just download the game and later complain on the forum when the answer was under their very noses from the start.
2. Dividing the database entries for review text into two: one for the review text and the other for any technical notes that may be helpful/neccesary for running the game. Display-wise, the review would be shown first and then the technical stuff just like now. Why make a change when nothing changes _visually_? Read the next point.
3. A change in the download page linked to from the "Get It!" button on the review page. Specifically, making it display several lines of text based on the compatibility data present in the database plus the content of the technical notes entry for that game (if any are stored in the database).
4. Making the compatibility icons more prominent! Right now they are far too easy to overlook.
5. Same like HOTU does for a long time, turn the Producer/Publisher names into links to a list of games developed and/or published by the given company.
6. While we're talking about the Oldwarez List, inputting search parameters in the URL may be useful - that way, a user can post a link to results of a specific search in the list (which isn't possible at the moment)
7. And finally, yet another suggestion for the list: making it more obvious if a game has an entry on Abandonia or not. Maybe an icon or something.
[/b]
Interesting propositions!Here is a run down of what is already in the plans that you have mentioned:
1. Interesting idea but would that possibly cause twice as much "How do I download?!?" posts instead? Its easy to change that around using skins so we can give it a test run and see how people react. Perhaps it would be better to point out the technical details somehow better.
2. Great idea, we'll certainly do that so that we can eventually make up our own separate compatibility pages. I'll add it to the feature list
3. Excellent idea... it would draw extra attention to it
4. They haven't been designed for the new layout yet... I guess we can make them bigger
5. Already planned
6. Already planned
7. Already planned

Well, I think with that we got nearly all the bases covered Let me know if there's anything else that crosses your mind. Especially if you have an idea about how to store the compatibility info better instead of just plain text...

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 24-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
1. Interesting idea but would that possibly cause twice as much "How do I download?!?" posts instead? [/b]
Not when the extras box and the link to the discussion thread are likewise moved to the bottom. Before getting to the forum link, the user would come across the download link first.

Suggestion no 8... Similar to the compatibility info being displayed on the download page, using code that displays information on the top of the review page if the game is not downloadable. Something like the following two:
Quote:
Originally posted by For ESA or otherwise protected+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(For ESA or otherwise protected)</div>
Quote:
This game is currently protected by its copyright owner and/or their legal representative.
This means you cannot download it from here, at least for the time being.
Do not ask for help in obtaining this game on our forums.
Its' status may change in the future, making the game itself downloadable again.
[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-For sold

This game is still sold.
This means you cannot download it from here, as long as the store still has it in stock.
Do not ask for help in obtaining an illicit copy of this game on our forums.
If you want it, you should buy it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i realy like the suggestions 2-8 but the first one i dunno i think they wouldnt read it anyways, even if it was on the bottom of the page. they would just scroll down and look for 'download' icon. and if you want to make it as big as the text (that its realy difficult to find the download button if you dont read everything), fine, they wont find the download button and game discussion button niether, but then you can except "How do i download?!!?" posts in random forums such as blahblah or troubleshooting, since there is visible forum button on the left.

i also think that more visible important notes is better solution (like the 3rd suggestion, if i got it right. that it would be written in new window when you click 'get it' button)

and by the way, doesnt the 8th suggestion sounds a bit... 'strict'? i mean, we r not an accountants company or nazi clan. maybe it would be nicer without red bold letters (that just sounds realy..hostile) and something more simmilar to
Quote:
We are sorry, but since the game is sold, you can't download it from abandonia [/b]
Old 24-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally posted by For ESA or otherwise protected+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(For ESA or otherwise protected)</div>
Quote:
This game is currently protected by its copyright owner and/or their legal representative.
This means you cannot download it from here, at least for the time being.
Its' status may change in the future, making the game itself downloadable again.[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-For sold

This game is still sold.
This means you cannot download it from here, as long as the store still has it in stock.
If you want it, you should buy it.

-- Reed Richards
Old 24-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

where s the sorry? :bleh:
Old 25-05-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
Data
retired

why sorry ? Isn't being sold a good thing ?
Old 25-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Data @ May 25 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]291281[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
why sorry ? Isn't being sold a good thing ?[/b]
In the latest demographic development paying for something that somebody once has had a load of work with is considered as not appropriate.

I agree with you Data.