Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Rogerwilco
Forum hobbit

Default Theseus - Return of the Hero

Not sure exactly where to put this, or if it even belongs on this forum . . ..

Anywhoo.... Theseus - Return of the Hero

It's Abandoned, was once a commercial game but the makers are now giving it away and calling it Freeware.

There's a website about the game + a download link..
Here:
http://www.sigma-team.net/games/acti...-the-hero.html

Here's what they say about it:

Despite all the human efforts to resist monster invasion, the blood-thirsty creatures keep occupying new territories. Theseus, the hero of this game, arrived in a small European town and got into the very middle of such a battle. Of course Theseus immediately joins the fight against the aliens.

In the Theseus - Return of the Hero game you will find:

- 10 missions, mostly taking place in open spaces;
- lots of playing locations: forest, village, highway, city battles etc;
- 6 types of weapons;
- ability to upgrade the main character;
- inventory shop where you can buy newest equipment between missions

A Review by Gametunnel:

Alien Shooter was one of the most talked about and enjoyed games of 2003. While we are all eagerly awaiting the amazing looking sequel Alien Shooter 2, Sigma Team hasn't been content to create just one sequel. Instead they have been hard at work creating another character in the Alien Shooter series in their soon to be released Theseus - Return of the Hero.

here to give you a little sampling of what lies in store for you as we return to what is becoming one of the best series in independent gaming.

Theseus departs from Alien Shooter in a couple of ways. First off, the game is set in America, and the music lets you know it right away. The sound-track holds close to the theme of guitar heavy riffs found in Alien Shooter while adding a distinctively American sounding track at the main menu that lends itself to creating a different feel from the first moment that you start up the game. The main character, Theseus, is a war hero and comes across as Rambo with a shaved head instead of the more special ops looking characters from Alien Shooter.

The graphics, while clearly built on the same engine as Alien Shooter, also moves outside the laboratories in Alien Shooter and its two expansion packs to the great outdoors. The outdoor environments include environmental effects such as night-time and rain, both of which bring new character to the game. However, for me I found some difficulty distinguishing all the action happening on the screen from the backdrops, making it a little difficult to navigate through many of the outdoor areas.

For those who craved the indoor environments found in the original, you�€™ll be happy to see the last couple of levels of Theseus where the game heads back indoors and actually takes on a more of a horror theme, leading up to an impossible confrontation with a huge boss. Playing your way to the last levels is definitely worth the time spent as I found the last levels to be some of the best in the game.

Game play remains mostly unchanged from Alien Shooter in Theseus. The endless throngs of enemies fits well with the Rambo-styled theme, and the game remains a blast everything to survive game. New game play elements have been added with rescue missions and a more sequential story leading to an ultimate conclusion, but at its heart this is still a blast-em or be blasted game. Notably there are several elements in the version we got to play that point to an expanded story being added, so we�€™re excited to see what things may be added to the game before it is released

One of the best parts of the original Alien Shooter was the many weapons. One of my biggest disappointments in the expansion packs was the lack of any new weapons. Theseus takes on that challenge and replaces many of the weapons with new guns that wreck total destruction on their targets, including the new Ion Cannon. Speaking of targets, you�€™ll quickly find that you can blast at more than aliens as there are animal carcasses littered all over the initial levels, half-eaten and ready to be blasted.

My personal favorite moment of Alien Shooter, and the thing that I think leads most people to purchase the game was the turret gun. Clearly Sigma Team agreed with the sentiment and you'll find some cool stationary guns in the game including a mounted machine gun and an abandoned tank.

Overall Theseus is looking like a solid addition to the Alien Shooter series. The release date has been pushed a couple of times, but currently it appears that the game should see the light of day just in time to steal away some of you Christmas cash this year.
__________________________________________________ _______

Theseus it a top down shooter with plenty of action. The graphics are good, movement is smooth and the controls are easy to master, using both Mouse and keyboard.

If you're into this genre, give it a shot.

Minuses (small ones)were:
No brightness control.
Cannot change the control keys, though the ones embedded are "standard"
No map
Overall done well, but I'd put it a small step down from "regular" commercial games.

For me, the big minus was the action. Too much. Even setting the mission on Easy, and after a few minutes all I was doing was blasting away at hoards of monsters.

But if you like that, get it.

28MB download, Pentium II or above.
Cheat codes are at the website
Rogerwilco is offline                         Send a private message to Rogerwilco