Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-02-2005, 03:19 AM   #31
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I usually go with 4 teams of 3 or 3 teams of 4 so it really depend of the amount of available soldier... But I usually go with 4 robots and 8 humans. The 4 robots are because at the very beginning they are really superior to humans and can soak up damage well so I ideally want one per team. It's usually the crazy soldier who cover his teamates while they flee and I often use robots in situations where a walking bomb can't be avoided. Robots have a lot of health and usually survive a walking bomb hit while normal human squaddies can easily die at the beginning because they don't have enough health (yet).

When the flying Marsec armor get available then the whole setup change. I buy 3 Marsec elerium guns and 3 psy guns along with a set of 3 Marsec armor (the red one) and fit a Mutant squad of 3 as my last (fourth) team. Mutants have nice Psy powers but are really defficient when it comes to physical training so having them kill easy targets from a distance (after I used their Psy powers) usually bring aim and endurance up to an acceptable level after several missions. The real reason why I outfit them with the Marsec armor is because they can fly with it and it weight almost nothing. If I were to equip normal armour to rookie Mutants they would have trouble walking instead of running like the others, being able to fly counter this. If I could I guess I would only equip the Marsec torso armor so they fly but the weight of the normal armor really makes a difference so I usually end up giving them full suits. Also it doesn't make much difference once you get the personnal shield technology.

For the guns I usually try to take a balanced loadout of small guns and big guns. I never take rocket launcher and I never did in any Xcom game either. I never even considered once to take those clumsy and inneficient weapons, I always wondered why others would. Probably because they are "cool". Anyways, back to the point: at the beginning I give weapons to squaddies depending of their attributes. If I spot a squaddie with high strenght and aim then I give him a big gun. If he only have high aim then he gets a sniper riffle. If they are lacking aim then I give them the minigun (the gun which fire red bullets really fast) so they can take care of the Brainsuckers on close range and gain aim points this way. And it works, I often get guys who used a minigun since the beginning to take a sniper rifle once they get veteran. Then there is usually lots of rookies to take the minigun for him anyways.

Also I always equip my squaddies with a medpack and a grenade. Then it depend if they can take more weight without hurting their speed too much. If they can take more then I add a stun grenade, then a second grenade and then a second stun grenade. I also always place them in the shoulders, the stun grenades to the right and the normal grenades to the left, but that's just me. I do know that it was less costly in Xcom 1 and 2 in TU to take something from the shoulders than from the belt but I don't think it actually change something for Apocalypse if you play real time...

The grenade is essential because it's the last trench of defense for a squaddie if he is getting brainsucked and without anybody to help him around. Poping a grenade with the timer at 0 and immediatly dropping it to the squaddie feet will probably injure the squaddie but the Brainsucker will die from the explosion. I prefer an injured squaddie to a new ennemy in any rate.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #32
Anjinsan

I know this could be a noob question, but here it go:

How can I stop the Alien Infiltration in the Organizations? Like, Marsec has 17% infiltraded.
Turn them my allies will avoid the alien infiltration? I dunno really wha to do

Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #33
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

For an organisation to be taken up by Aliens they need an unit somewhere in one of the organization buildings. Aliens can't go around this, it must be done. What I usually do is check the graphs a lot and moniter infiltration very closely. I usually do everytime I finish a mission but most often than not it only take a second or two since I'm only spotting for organization with infiltration near 50%. Bellow 50% an organization is still pretty safe, above 50% you're in trouble and need to find that nasty Alien(s) who escaped your grasp. The trick is to find out where exactly the Alien(s) might be hiding.

More often than not if you are only a half decent spotter you will be able to see where exactly the UFOs beam down their friends. Once this is done the Alien(s) will usually try to infiltrate the attacked building but not all the time. Other times they will send small teams to also infiltrate adjacent buildings and speed is really the key here. The sooner you'll arrive with your team, the smaller the map will be (also influenced by the number of squaddies and Aliens on the map) and the smaller chance you will have for Aliens to get away to other buildings. Also do not forget that Aliens can flee the battlefield just like your squaddies. Sometimes they get away that way and flee to adjacent buildings.

So, what I usually do is to get to the city map and point at the last building which got Aliens beamed down to it. Then I select the half infiltrated organization so their buildings are highlighted on the map. If a building is near that point then it's pretty much that building you need to storm.

As long as there is Aliens in the building you storm then the organization won't mind much that you get there and kill them. If there is not, however, their standing VS you will drop a little each time you do this. It is worth checking all the buildings until you find the right one tough even if you need to make that organization hate you. You are there to defend the city after all, and you can always increase standing with donation money later on. It usually cost way less to bring an ennemy organization to like you than to try to get allied with one.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #34
Anjinsan

Thnx for the exaplanation

So, I have to search for Aliens in the adjacents buildings from the mission? Ok, I'll do it, and before I will save.

But... can I decrease the percentage of the alien infiltration? like 20% to 5%?

Old 13-02-2005, 06:15 AM   #35
hanut
Forum hobbit

This has got to be the best game i have played! I love X-COM games but this one is really the best of the UFO series. It marks a change from the world level to city level play . this basically means instead of controlling the world or planet you control the city. This is really fun as you can go and raid the building of the faction that hates you and watch them do a slow burn. Anyone got marshmellows?
hanut is offline                         Send a private message to hanut
Old 13-02-2005, 06:23 AM   #36
Mentor
[BANNED]

This was horrible. HORRIBLE. Everything about it just screamed slipshod and money-grubbing. The city-level thing was such a crappy reason to limit the environment, and the characters were lacking in the original two game's originality, as limited as that actually was. It was trying to be Syndicate with aliens, and failed miserably.

It was worse than UFO: Aftermath, and that's saying something.
Mentor is offline                         Send a private message to Mentor
Old 13-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #37
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

While Apocalypse is by far the worse Xcom game you are really far from reality by saying it was worse than Aftermath. Apocalypse is weak when related to Xcom but good enough a game in itself.

Anjinsan: the % will drop with time as long as there is no Alien trying to take the corporation over. With enough time it will go back to 0%.
Old 14-02-2005, 03:18 AM   #38
Anjinsan

Thnx again for the help

Well, I really think that Aftermath is worse than Apocalypse

and don't think the 3rf edition is limited... the environment is much better than Enemy Unknow, u have lot of Organizations to deal, 3 races of soldiers and a more organized staff for researchs...

I sugest Mentor more patience and more hour of play to be envolved by Apoc.

- Yes... X-COM 1 are the best

Old 14-02-2005, 03:56 AM   #39
Mentor
[BANNED]

I played that game (Apocalypse) for six days, just to get it over with and beat it. Then I played a marathon of X-Com 1 and 2 and some Breach 3 for good measure to get the horrid taste out of my proverbial mouth.

IT SUCKED. SUCKED.

EDIT: And I just remembered, it isn't the worst of the X-Com games. Anyone remember X-Com: Interceptor? The flight sim? THAT was the worst X-Com game. Apocalypse comes in a close second.
Mentor is offline                         Send a private message to Mentor
Old 14-02-2005, 05:17 AM   #40
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

In my book the Xcom serie stopped at Apocalypse just like the C&C serie stopped at the original. The others were only milking cows which borowed a name to boost sales and turned out to be awfull games.