Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #51
12turtle12
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jul 27 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]301654[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The main reasons of patches is to fix bugs, not to alter the game.

Your definition of patches is very wrong.
[/b]
BP, patches DO alter the game. Both statements CAN be true! Take for instance the Paladin in D2. I believe it was the smite ability that was "bugged" and overpowered. They "fixed" it, which "altered" the gameplay of the paladin character. If you mean it doesn't alter the game by making a HUGE change like removing characters or whatever, then sure, you're right. BUt a patch does alter the game, even if it's not a gigantic all-consuming change.
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 27-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #52
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jul 28 2007, 12:14 AM) [snapback]301654[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The main reasons of patches is to fix bugs, not to alter the game.

Your definition of patches is very wrong.
[/b]
no.. its also cause of game balance-_- not only bug fixes (which i mentioned too). on begining its like they patch main bugs and then later on it comes more closer to game balance
Old 27-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #53
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

BS, changing the gameplay in patches is a poor practice that shouldn't be done by any developer, and most don't.

These things never really change the game for better, unless it's simply adding a feature, like multiplayer in System Shock 2 or Skirmish in Freedom Force, patches should never really alter anything beyond bugs.

A developer should take the time to balance the game before hand, it's idiotic to add patches that alter the balance of a game afterwards, that's lazy and dumb, bugs are excusable to a certain degree, poor balancing is not.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 27-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #54
12turtle12
Game freak

The problem is, a game developer, and the beta testers too, cannot find everything wrong with the game. You don't always have 1000 people testing a game (actually...almost never) Starcraft had patches that dealt w/ unit costs, D2 had patches that dealt w/ over-powered or underpowered powers (LOL). Sometimes it takes 10,000 people buying a game and playing it 20 hours a day to find certain strategies that work. Sometimes those strategies are just cheap, or over-powered, and no one in testing used that particular unit or ability in that way. Wikipedia sez:
Because the word "patch" carries the connotation of a small fix, large fixes may use different nomenclature. Bulky patches or patches that significantly change a program may circulate as "service packs" or as "software updates". Microsoft Windows NT and its successors (including Windows 2000, Windows XP, and later versions) use the "service pack" terminology.

In several Unix-like systems, particularly Linux, updates between releases are delivered as new software packages. These updates are in the same format as the original installation so they can be used either to update an existing package in-place (effectively patching) or be used directly for new installations.

So maybe literally "patch" could mean a small bug fix, but according to this it "may use different nomenclature". So, it's not always the case. A "patch" COULD be something big. It seems to depend on the developer/distributor/owner/etc
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 03-08-2007, 03:05 AM   #55
Falls
Forum hobbit

Really, an RPG is a Role Playing Game, so, though I may be inexperienced, it seems to me a triviality that Diablo is action oriented. Is a child with ADD still a child?
Falls is offline                         Send a private message to Falls
Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #56
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

That's good point and I agree, but MANY people here don't.

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick
Old 06-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #57
Geckotide

Oh, I remember playing this on the PS! I used to love it! I'll have to get it again. Nice review, very informative k:
Geckotide is offline                         Send a private message to Geckotide
Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #58
12turtle12
Game freak

You are thinking of Diablo 1 for the PS - #2 was only released PC if I am correct.

Not sure if this should go here, perhaps I should open up a new topic, but it's a quick question - Has anybody played Sacred? Does anyone know if anybody still plays it multiplayer? I went to a server and it was EMPTY
Old 09-08-2007, 07:12 AM   #59
skaven510
Forum hobbit

I had no idea they had Diablo on the PS. Was it any good? Couldn't of been easy switching spells on a console.
skaven510 is offline                         Send a private message to skaven510
Old 09-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #60
12turtle12
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skaven510 @ Aug 9 2007, 07:12 AM) [snapback]303803[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I had no idea they had Diablo on the PS. Was it any good? Couldn't of been easy switching spells on a console.
[/b]
I don't think it was bad at all. That's actually how I was introduced to the series. I abused the heck out of glitches LOL