Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
rlbell
Game freak

I finally understand the adage that adulthood is having the money to buy all of the toys that you wanted as a child, but not having the time to play with them. After desiring it for nearly six years, I finally have a Lego Imperial Star Destroyer (set number 10030).

The box is huge, and the pieces are organised by putting them in four smaller (but still large) boxes. Each box contains several plastic bags of lego pieces. The instructions are about two hundred pages long and they come spiral bound on B-size paper (11"x17" or about 28cm x 43cm). What they did not do was organise the parts in the boxes so that there was some sequence to openning the myriad little plastic bags of pieces (something that they did with later sets). With a parts count of 3104, the prospect of having to lay out all of the bags on a surface is daunting, as I do not have enough uncluttered floorspace.

Adding to my troubles are keeping small children away from it while it is under construction and the fact that the last time I put together a large lego set, the Lego Technic Mobile Crane, I was temporarily unemployed and had plenty of time. Worrying is that my wife will probably not let me buy any more lego; until, it is completed.

No doubt, my misery will turn to joy as the pieces come together
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 16-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rlbell @ Dec 16 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]271858[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I finally understand the adage that adulthood is having the money to buy all of the toys that you wanted as a child, but not having the time to play with them.
[/b]
That's so true :wallbash:

Have fun with all those little bricks k:
Old 16-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

You lucky, lucky bastard getting yourself a Lego ISD. I want one too *sob*

I remember how I as a kid made all sorts of Lego tech stuff, like transmissions and suchlike. Lego is really cool, and I guess it's not only for kids either, seing that universities are using it to build robots and all kinds of stuff. Go Lego!
Old 16-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

That's the set with the detailed interior sextions, isn't it? :blink: Good luck with that.
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 17-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Fourth @ Dec 16 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]271863[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
That's the set with the detailed interior sextions, isn't it? :blink: Good luck with that.
[/b]
Actually, the interior is bare except for some beams to give the thing its shape. It is the exterior that is covered with fiddly little bits of detail. It is also the only place where there is any respite from the monochrome colour scheme of the ISD

My first choice for building anything is to dump everything into a box and rummage around for the correct piece. The sounds of the pieces chattering against each other as you try to find a specific part is very therapeutic. However, there are lots of tiny little pieces and two very small pieces used to put together the ion cannon, so it is not an option. I ended up transferring all of the parts in plastic bags to resealable bags. Picking up the resealable bag, checking that the part that I am looking for is not in it, and dropping it back into the box, should be good for some clattering of pieces.

There are actually three different Lego ISD's. There is the Ultimate Collector's Set (which I am now trying to build), a mini set (only 15cm long, almost cute, but mine suffered a drop to the floor with the resultant escape of small pieces to parts unknown), and a very new set for Star Wars minifigs (which is the one with the detailed interior, but it has less than half of the pieces [My wife would probably consider it to be a severe extravagance if I bought that one, too]).

The only guy that won't play with Lego, no matter how old they get, doesn't have any. I will occassionally play with Duplo, if only to join in the fun of my younger children.

It is not just universities. It gets used to train electricians to use programmable logic controllers. Lego really missed their intended target with the Lego Mindstorm stuff. Fortunately, the people who actually want to buy it have much more money than teenage boys
Old 17-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

what did that thing cost you, if i may ask?

also, Lego rules.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 18-12-2006, 02:37 AM   #7
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Henning @ Dec 17 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]271932[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
what did that thing cost you, if i may ask?

also, Lego rules.
[/b]
You can always check out the Lego website for your geographic region (they have several sites) and find out what it would cost-- Ultimate Collectors' Set #10030.

It cost me Can$399.99, your price may vary. Sales tax dinged me an additional Can$24.00, but there was a promotion on, so shipping charges were free for all orders over Can$100.

Is it worth it? No, but I did not buy for any useful purpose, so value for money was not a consideration
Old 18-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

I used to have so much fun with lego was I was younger. Me and my brothers inherited tons of lego from our older cousins. Some days we would build lego all day.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 18-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I have a bunch of Legos stashed up from my youth. Didn't really do anything with them for a few years, maybe because I'm more of a Warhammer person now (the WH models are much more complex and much more customizable then any Lego one).

I saw many things made out of Legos. I believe I remember some sort of action figure thingy I found on the net some years back. Think a plan for its basic structure might still be floating around my HDD.

And then there is LEGO MECHWARRIOR... (if you never heard of it, check this link - wholeheartedly recommended)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Recently, I stayed at a friend's place, mainly for the purpose of watching some movies, listening to music, getting drunk, and so on. We got to talking later about our childhood habits and found out we had a shared interest - LEGO!
Soooo he shows me these incredible space cruisers he built as a kid, and next thing I knew, we were sitting on the floor surrounded by more cruisers and even more loose bricks and it's 4:30 AM. What a day that was.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder