Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I woke up today and found my main pc doesn't work anymore. The monitor says "No signal", mouse and keyboard are dead. CD-ROM lights are on, so is the power indicator. I have blasted some cpu's before, but does anyone know if this can be caused by anything other than a fried cpu? It was a decent one and now I'm stuck with a 500 MHz, win98se machine. This is annoying as I used the main machine for more than just games.

Any suggestions?
Old 28-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ May 28 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]232706[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I woke up today and found my main pc doesn't work anymore. The monitor says "No signal", mouse and keyboard are dead. CD-ROM lights are on, so is the power indicator. I have blasted some cpu's before, but does anyone know if this can be caused by anything other than a fried cpu? It was a decent one and now I'm stuck with a 500 MHz, win98se machine. This is annoying as I used the main machine for more than just games.

Any suggestions?
[/b]
Overclocking it?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 28-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

No, not that I'm aware of I haven't entered the cmos/bios or board or anything. I let it run during last night, due to some heavy duty dl-ing and auto scan/updates/fixes. It worked like a charm for some weeks, but this morning it was just an ex-PC. Can it be anything other than the CPU? I really couldn't afford a new one with the same speed.
Old 28-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if i were you i would bring whole case to service and let them test every part of it
btw maybe cable which connects monitor with case is broken, does hdd work when you turn the computer on?
Old 28-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
oclane
Forum hobbit

Thumbs down

um you wont be able to get in to overclock it hhhhhm what kind of power suply fan or prosser do ya have
oclane is offline                         Send a private message to oclane
Old 28-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Processor: Athlon 1600 something. Hard to tell now, isn't it I got it from a mate who didn't need it for quite a while. That really sucks, because I have to get a new CPU in case he wants it back. Monitor cable ok. Same as I use now on the other PC. THe fan WAS acting weird, even before I got it. All indicator lights are go. Yes, I think I will have to take the *#¤&@ to the PC quack. Sounds expencive.... But whatever, I need the speed for my 'home studio'.
Old 28-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well.. "indicator light". i meant if is the hdd diode (red usually) blinking then probably computer is running and you have something with your graphic card/connection to monitor, if it's not uhm blinking then problem is in soemthing else
Old 29-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Does your graphics card wotk with another PC?
Did you try remobing it and installing a standard PCI graphics card?
Did that change anything?

I had a similar problem when my GPU got slightly dislodged from its AGP slot.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You could try removing everything but the proc (disconnect drives, remove PCI-cards, remove video-card, memory etc.) . Boot the thing. If the BIOS doesn't start to bleep (the beep codes should be in your mobo manual), either your mobo or proc is busted. Then, add the memory. The beep-code should change. If nothing happens, your memory could be dead. Go on adding one device at a time.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 02-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I would get the whole thing tested what os were you running.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98