Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-02-2007, 01:43 AM   #31
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I don't think on old 8086 is going to run the internet well if at all. If it works though well done but it most likley will be dog slow.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 26-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #32
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

It'll be a good experiment anyway. There are a couple of things I would like to program myself, so I have my own rudimentary TCP/IP system running on this machine. It's a way to learn the technology.
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon
Old 26-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #33
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Do those programming things include an instant messaging/IRC client for DOS? That would be way cool :w00t:
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 26-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #34
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I've been tempted many times to buy an older model laptop off eBay, like a Pentium 133 or something, and set it up with DOS just so I can play my old school games without having to tweak DOSbox or any of that. Has anybody else here ever done this?[/b]
Usually people do that with desktop units and not laptops. But if you mean generally, as in "buy an old machine and use it to run DOS games" ... Then yes, quite a few of us did.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #35
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Henning @ Feb 26 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]281035[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Do those programming things include an instant messaging/IRC client for DOS? That would be way cool :w00t:
[/b]
Oh no - I meant I have a couple of ideas for programming projects, not that I have DOS programming utilities with internet apps built-in. I am influenced by the efforts of people like Jaromil of Rastasoft.
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon
Old 27-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #36
win98
In the loop on hardware.

I might be getting a 486 which I will use as an interneted dos machine.
Old 27-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #37
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazedloon @ Feb 26 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]281052[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Henning @ Feb 26 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]281035[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Oh no - I meant I have a couple of ideas for programming projects[/b][/quote]That's what I'm talking about - an MSN client for DOS. But i suppose that's asking just a bit too much
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 27-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #38
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

I think telnet/ssh is the most I could expect from this very old system with no hard disk and restricted to DOS memory. If I connect it by serial port to my 64-bit Linux desktop PC it would serve already as a dumb terminal. If I just manage to connect it to my Ethernet router with the parallel port adapter, I would regard that as a very secure emergency fall-back in case of a "Terminator 3" type situation (*absolute worst case scenario LOL). Particularly, the absence of hard drive would mean there's no possibility of storing harmful spyware on my computer and more reliance on remote servers, and the worst thing that could happen would be a boot sector virus (easily cured).
MS-DOS is probably the ideal OS for this sort of setup, but I would prefer 16-bit Minix or a Minix clone if possible, so that's what I'm looking for at the moment.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 AM   #39
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Dumb terminal eh?
That sounds like a brilliant idea I might use that on the 486 I may be gettting if I get it.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #40
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

486-DX is definitely from the heyday of the internet.