Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

OK, this is just something that popped up into my head. I keep hearing that people have trouble configuring DOSbox to run old DOS programs. I have a laptop running FreeDOS (full installation), that I reserve for DOS programs only including games and music stuff.

I think it's possible to run FreeDOS from a LiveCD (burn the ISO, and pop it in the drive so it boots from CD-ROM), so you could try running your DOS programs through it like that.

If you get any mileage out of this suggestion or it helps you in any way, please send me a link to a good RPG from the old days which isn't already on the site. Thanks

:blink:
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon
Old 29-12-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
catchaserguns
Games Master

But would it run on Windows XP. Windows XP does not have true dos.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 29-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
InsaneFury
Forum hobbit

QUOTE(catchaserguns @ Dec 29 2006, 03:21 AM) [snapback]272707[/snapback]
Quote:
But would it run on Windows XP. Windows XP does not have true dos.
[/b]
Nope, it wouldn't. It would effectively replace Windows XP in the sense that you boot directly into FreeDOS, as oppose to loading Windows XP first.

Don't think FreeDOS is an alternative to DOSbox: it's not. It's more like saying a motorcycle is an alternative for a car: though in both cases it might run your game fine, the hassle and prerequisites to get it working are different for each.

Furthermore, think about having to reserve a partition for the DOS games, since FreeDOS doesn't have native NTFS support, which at all is read-only anyways. So no chance of saving games and editing config files. I'd say stick with DOSbox, unless you know what you are doing. But if you are, you're probably already not running DOSbox, but a FreeDOS/MS-DOS/PC-DOS/Windows 9x variant.
InsaneFury is offline                         Send a private message to InsaneFury
Old 29-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

What Fury's saying is right. However, I have a laptop running FreeDOS as the main OS and it's good. Very good. So you might want to consider ditching Windows and replacing your OS with FreeDOS just to run DOS stuff (which it does perfectly).

If you don't want to scrap Windows and just want a FreeDOS LiveCD, I still say go ahead and burn the CD, just as long as you get the free Japanese driver for USB support within FreeDOS. This is a complete one-shot solution, and a good one (if you can configure the support for a USB memory stick).

:blink:
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon
Old 30-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There's also a VMWare virtual appliance for FreeDOS, so you can run it without config or install from VMWare player (free download). I haven't tried this particular appliance (yet). I have some good experiences with FreeDOS myself. DOSBox still remains my personal favorite because of the easy sound-blaster emu/setup. In FreeDOS you still have to install drivers and use the SET BLASTER variables etc.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It can also be installed on Virtual PC 2004 (free DL from Microsoft, one of few programs where they actually did something right)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
haakjay
Forum hobbit

I have a virtual pc running FreeDOS. Works fine.

Doesn't XP have true dos? If you open cmd and then type command don't you get true dos?
haakjay is offline                         Send a private message to haakjay
Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
velik_m
Game Wizzard

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 2 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]272989[/snapback]
Quote:
It can also be installed on Virtual PC 2004 (free DL from Microsoft, one of few programs where they actually did something right)
[/b]
That's because they didn't write it, they just bought it.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:42 AM   #9
JJXB
Pi-voh

QUOTE(velik_m @ Jan 6 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]273587[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 2 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]272989[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
That's because they didn't write it, they just bought it.
[/b][/quote]
from connectix if i recall right? (after sony sued connectix to buggery for Connectix Virtual Game Station)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Doesn't XP have true dos?[/b]
No.
Quote:
If you open cmd and then type command don't you get true dos?[/b]
Nope, you don't.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman