Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Nigga
Forum hobbit

Listen, people, help me, pleeeeeaaaaase

I use Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, and have installed XCom-3.
Everything is fine... until the game starts!
I can only watch the intro sequence, that's all!!!
After it ends (or I press ESC), the game just exits without any messages!

I've tried to configure it to run without any sound, but the problem still remains!!!

On my virtual PC, I use Windows 95. I thought that's the problem, but even when I installed XCom under DOS, the game acts exactly the same way - just instead of quitting to the prompt, it causes a "Virtual PC fatal error (3)", which causes the virtual PC to reset.

When the game is being installed, all the requirements are ok - even the files/buffers and the CD-ROM speed!

I just don't know what to do...

My host OS is Window XP Professional (SP2). Under it the game runs much worse with the same problem!
This also relates to DOSBox.

The same problem everywhere - intro sequence is shown, but the game doesn't want to start!!! Not even the main menu...

Maybe the problem is that I don't have a real "X-Com Apocalypse" CD, so I use a grabbed CD image in a virtual CD-ROM drive created by Paragon CD-drive emulator??? The CD image was grabbed from an original CD.
That original CD had no problems while installing or running the game some years ago on a Pentium-166 with Windows 98 as an OS.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You can either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Nigga is offline                         Send a private message to Nigga
Old 17-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It seems that the problem might come from your copy of the game.
Try the one up on Abandonia (it's still here, right?).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Nigga
Forum hobbit

Yeah, it's there...

...the only problem is that right now I'm at the work, not at home. And after the downloading has completed I'll need to burn that onto my CD-RW, and...

What the *******! :tai: :angry: :tai: :angry:
I've forgotten my CD-RW at home today!
I won't be able to burn and try Abandonia XCom! :wallbash: :wallbash:

*hit! :'(

"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You can either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 17-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I splited your topic with the old one, ShadowLord.

Please do not resurect old topics from the dead. On this forum the rule is one thread per problem per person. Resurecting old topics only result in big messy thread nobody like to peruse to help the specific person.
Old 18-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Nigga
Forum hobbit

Oh, I'm sorry for that!

I was so disappointed that posted into two threads wanting some help as quick as possible...
Shame on me!

Well, today I have my RW with me at my work. and I'm gonna burn those aliens down on it!!!

Old 23-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Nigga
Forum hobbit

Yeah, with version from Abandonia everything works just fine
As all we thought, it is that Paragon CD image which should be blamed

But there's one point which disappoints me with abandonia version - it's without music!!! :'(

It's such a pity!!! I can't play this game without music...

Old 23-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, what format is your CD-image? ISO, by chance? If your machine can run DosBox (which is way better then VPC2K4, IMO) you can use its internal virtual drive module, IMGMOUNT, to mount the CD-image like any normal CD.
Tried it myself, and it works quite well.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
Nigga
Forum hobbit

Thanks for advice!

But my image isn't ISO, it's in some Paragon-format (only Paragon understands it)
Plus I've deleted it after I've tried everything and it didn't want to work

And also I agree with you, DOSBox is much better than VPC!!!
Well, I always used DOSBox to play games. VPC was just a try to run X-Com 3.

Also, Strife runs in VPC much smoother than in DOSBox (although, in DOSBox it's quite smooth too, but on VPC it's just REAL). So I also wanted to play Strife on VPC as well, but after some minutes of play I was VERY disappointed - the music was SO AWFULLY awful ( )!!! DOSBox emulates sound cards much better, than VPC!!! And now I don't know what to choose - smoothiness of VPC, or music and sounds of DOSBox :blink:

And as for X-Com, it seems that I'll have to find my that old friend with the original CD, and make an ISO copy of it (or ask him to make me a present )

Old 26-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
??????????

problems with x-com3, intro is working fine with vdms but the menu screen is a mess and I can't
start the game. With dosbox sound doesn't work and game slooooooooooowwwww.

I have windows XP professional SP2 and I've tried almost every version of Apocalypse that I've found over the net. Does somebody know where to find iso image of this game. That I haven't tried. Paragon image is on my computer but that doesn't work.

Has anyone encountered this problem I have??

Hope that someone could help me

Old 26-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Yes, I encountered this problem with Apocalypse. I never managed to make it work on this very computer, and I really tryied everything.

The game always runned fine on my Win98 machine and on other XP machine tough.