Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

OK, the idea is simple.
There are so many people on abandonia from all over the world, that I'm sure everybody has a story, a legend, or just a silly superstition they's like to share and we'd all learn more about other cultures in the process.

So here goes:
I'm from Slovenia, and we have a really wierd legend about our "national hero" called Kral Matjaz.
The story says he was a good king, who fought off Turks and brought eternal freedom to our land. Then he went to sleep in a cave and when his beard will grow so long it will run around him for seven times, he'll wake up and correct all the wrongs, that will happen in between.

OK, but here's the historical fact: this was actually Matias Korvin (a real Hungarian king) who really fought the Turks but lost. He forced Slovenes to pay taxes to him even though he never was a sovregin of any of the teritories that are now a part of Slovenia.

Who's next?
Wanna hear legends!!!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 10-11-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

There's something like that in England, one of our king's, Richard the Lionheart (a Frenchman incidentally) his reputation is of a good strong and wise king. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth, he never set foot in England himself, he just fought wars in the middle east and when he needed money he taxed us English into poverty. There's no real mythology around him but his body is buried in London and his heart in Paris.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 10-11-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Nov 11 2004, 01:37 AM
There's no real mythology around him but his body is buried in London and his heart in Paris.
Richard the Lionhearted? No mythology?
The entire story of Robin Hood deals with the crusades of Richard and his taxations (just goes to show the story is really unfair towards prince John)!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 10-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

In Iceland, we have many stories about elves and trolls and stuff. The elves are usually said to live in rocks, but still there's this old tradition about the new year.
Not many people do it anymore, but my family does :bleh:

At midnight new years eve, one of the family walks around the house, saying:
"Komi ?eir sem koma vilja, fari ?eir sem fara vilja".
it means something like that:
"Come they who want to come, leave they who want to leave".

So, the story says, that elves move on the new year. And by walking around and saying this, we're keeping them happy

Of course, we also have the crazy santas I wrote about in Jokes :w00t:
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos+Nov 10 2004, 11:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sebatianos @ Nov 10 2004, 11:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-R Havell@Nov 11 2004, 01:37 AM
There's no real mythology around him but his body is buried in London and his heart in Paris.
Richard the Lionhearted? No mythology?
The entire story of Robin Hood deals with the crusades of Richard and his taxations (just goes to show the story is really unfair towards prince John)! [/b][/quote]
That's not a myth, that's a legend It just proves my point about Richard the Lionheart being remembered a a good king when he wasn't.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 10-11-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Milos
Abandonia nerd

I'm from Serbia and we had a hero Marko Kraljevic and he has a horse Sarac and he was killing Turks and that's all I know about him.
Also there vas Milos Obilic(like my name) who was captured in a great Kosovo battle,and he asked to be brought to sultan(thats like king) and when he came to sultan he bravely sacreficed his life and killed sultan with his hidden knife( I don't know how he smuggled it).
And that's all I know but there is probably more because I didn't payed attension on history classes. :bye:
Milos is offline                         Send a private message to Milos
Old 10-11-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

C'mon,
you guys (Serbs) should have much more interesting miths.

Don't have to look in history books, just tell about victory over NATO in 1999.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 10-11-2004, 11:44 PM   #8
Milos
Abandonia nerd

And about battle at Kosovo field(kosovo polje), that was the last battle before five century ocupation of serbia by turks.Until today is not known who actually won that battle, but Serbs were much less in nimbers but given turks a fair fight,Serbs were heavily armored with large swords and flails unlike the turks who were lightly armored and with ligth scimitars wich together with superior numbers led them to "victory" :not_ok: .
And during that long ocupation Serbs had made many ressistance groups(ustanike,hajduke ,uskoke) and also made two large rebelions(ustanak) driven turks from, first led by Karadjordje and second led by Milos Obrenovic(not Obilic).
At the end turks were driven from serbian land and never returned( i think).

There was a book called "Na Drini cuprija" full of legends and myths written by Ivo Andric who receved Nobel prize for that book.It is about bridge who survived many years(hundreds) and seen many legends battles myths historical moments and so on.Nice book for those who love that kind of stuff.

I cannot write any more

:bye:
Old 10-11-2004, 11:49 PM   #9
Milos
Abandonia nerd

That was trully a victory.Nato who was so excited about their F-117 receved such a blow when we shot down tree of them with our low tech equipment,and many more other planes wich cost them more than they did damage to us.

They said that F-117 was "invisible", and we said "sorry for shooting him down we didn't see him"

There is lot about that but I can't write all.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:51 PM   #10
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Do you know who all fought against Turks??

And it looks like only in Serbia it's not known who won that battle (until today?)

That's a real myth and reason Serbs are not so sure is because they rewrite their history very often.

History is not written by writing down folks songs (that's the way Serbian history is written).

LOL
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue