Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #411
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

weeel, use dosbox for the game. download it from the site, run the program and type 'intro', there is everything explained

after mounting the drive, run 'setsound.exe', select soundblaster pro or 100% compatible, save it, and run 'ascend.exe'
Old 02-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #412
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

A Beginner's Guide to DOSBox should help you. That's about as simple as it can get.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #413
Shade

a immortal classic this one! sat up all night with it.
and i bet it will get better if i can get the sound on
Shade is offline                         Send a private message to Shade
Old 15-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #414
Guest_LacyCat_*

When I try to finish the install, the game tells me I don't have any sound drivers installed. I don't know what to do.. Doesn't DosBox use the sound drivers I already have installed? Can anyone help me?

Old 15-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #415
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_LacyCat_* @ Jul 15 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]299549[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
When I try to finish the install, the game tells me I don't have any sound drivers installed. I don't know what to do.. Doesn't DosBox use the sound drivers I already have installed? Can anyone help me?
[/b]
DOSBox emulates the (fake) soundcard specified in the DOSBox config file. Default is a Soundblaster 16 card with settings addresse=220 irq=7 dma=1 hdma=5. When setting up sound in the game's setup, you need to match the selected options there with the ones in the DOSBox config file.
Old 16-07-2007, 02:30 AM   #416
Guest_LacyCat_*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jul 15 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]299550[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_LacyCat_* @ Jul 15 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]299549[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
DOSBox emulates the (fake) soundcard specified in the DOSBox config file. Default is a Soundblaster 16 card with settings addresse=220 irq=7 dma=1 hdma=5. When setting up sound in the game's setup, you need to match the selected options there with the ones in the DOSBox config file.
[/b][/quote]

Thank you for responding. Ascendancy doesn't let me get that far. I do understand that DOsBox usually emulates Soundblaster at the settings you mentioned , but when I type in "Setsound" at the prompt (I am in the Ascendancy directory) I get the Sound Configuration page with a message telling me there is an error.. no sound drivers were found. The game will not continue any further. I can't finish the install and I can't run the game , with or without sound. So why doesn't the game (or DosBox) know I really do have drivers and what can I do to convince the game (or DosBox) that they're there?

Old 16-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #417
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sounds like a corrupted or incomplete copy of the game. Did you download it from Abandonia?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #418
Guest_LacyCat_*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 16 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]299610[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Sounds like a corrupted or incomplete copy of the game. Did you download it from Abandonia?
[/b]
Yes. I did. You think I should download it again?

Old 16-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #419
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Corrupted downloads happen sometimes, so yes: Try download it again.
Old 16-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #420
Guest_LacyCat_*

Oh thank you guys for your help. I downloaded it again and this time the files all unzipped properly and i was able to complete the sound configuration and everything. I have no idea what happened the first time around but I'm glad you guys were here .