Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-01-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by wendymaree@Jan 8 2005, 09:58 AM
It was originally done by Sierra but I think the company you mentioned are now distributing it along with a slightly different name and improved graphics.
Yes, the Software Farm is distributing it now -- run by the people that originally designed the game for Sierra. And I think you're correct that it's under a slightly different title, but from the screenshots on the website the graphics don't appear to be updated. Looks exactly the same as the game I played back in the late 80s.
edlglide is offline                         Send a private message to edlglide
Old 09-01-2005, 03:05 AM   #12
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, the content of the graphics is definitely the same. However they've advertising them as 3D on the distribution site, and they do look somehow less pixilated and smoother....?
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 09-01-2005, 03:09 AM   #13
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

They look the same here. They might've fixes some minor flaws in the graphics, but that shouldn't be noticable. The 3D is purely because you can walk around in 3 dimensions, and in front and behind other objects, thus, technically, being 3D. These games've always been called 3D for that reason, actually
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 09-01-2005, 08:09 AM   #14
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by wendymaree@Jan 9 2005, 03:05 AM
Well, the content of the graphics is definitely the same. However they've advertising them as 3D on the distribution site, and they do look somehow less pixilated and smoother....?
Yeah, I don't think the graphics are different at all. They certainly look exactly the same to me; I think I could go get my old Apple II GS and boot up Gold Rush on it and it'd look just like those screen shots. Speaking of that Apple, I really did have some great games on it........Gold Rush, Pirates!, a handful of King's Quests........LOL.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:12 AM   #15
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

They could be the same graphics but of a higher resolution, perhaps?

I'll write to the distributors and ask them.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #16
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

Possibly, and asking would certainly put an end to the discussion.......but I'm looking at the screen shots on the website now and they don't even appear to be a higher resolution to me. They sort of do when they're small on intro screen, but if you click on one of the images to enlarge it they just look the same as the original 1988 version.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #17
mikebarry
Game freak

I don't see the slightest difference in the graphics (unless of course, you're referring to the monochrome version ...I can remember good ol' green and black Apple... ). Chances are that any visual distortion is a result of the screenshot process, as the Gif colors may vary ever so slightly from the actual colors. That or it's your eyes/mind. Just a guess.
mikebarry is offline                         Send a private message to mikebarry
Old 09-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #18
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Hmmm...you both could be right. In fact, if the graphics had been enhanced they'd advertise this on the distribution site as it'd be a definite selling enticement.

Btw, did you notice where they have a page offering to sell other people's software? We could upload the Abandonia game there when it's finished

Edit:

Just noticed this on the page with larger screens which I think answers the question:

'California Gold Rush's graphics are not high-res by today's standards, but the colors are lively and animated objects bring the screen to life.'
Old 10-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #19
mikebarry
Game freak

The game would probably be more successful on Abandonia, as I'm pretty sure that The Software Farm isn't nearly as popular...or nearly as cool B)
mikebarry is offline                         Send a private message to mikebarry
Old 10-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #20
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by mikebarry@Jan 10 2005, 07:40 AM
The game would probably be more successful on Abandonia, as I'm pretty sure that The Software Farm isn't nearly as popular...or nearly as cool B)
Especially considering Gold Rush is the only thing on the entire website. I'm surprised it's even still in business if they haven't updated it since 2000 and they're selling it for 19.95.