Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #241
kyrubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
I simply rushed extended fuel cells and rushed for the ocean and terran planets around. Guess who won?

I have to admit that I did way more diplomacy in that game though. That's what you need to do when you are in a big disadvantage versus your enemies.
-EoF
There is a bug that prevented the AIs to settle surrounding planets correctly.
Also, the diplomacy was partially unfunctional (you could "threaten" your way to victory). I've tried to improve the AI ship designing decisions as well.
All should be corrected by now and the game should probably be less easy.

By the way, which game has such a significantly better AI in your opinion?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #242
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
By the way, which game has such a significantly better AI in your opinion?
Unfortunately, none that I've played so far.

A computer will never be able to be superior to a human imagination and ability to put seemingly unlinked information into the same context. It is because of this that most AIs of good strategy games "cheat" a lot. Otherwise the game gets way too easy way too fast...
Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #243
Laserblitz
Lurker

Default Help, I nned details on how to install

Hello, long time MoO fan who has not been able to play my favorite game since windows XP ruined all my fun.

I am very excited since I found Abandonia and MoO :thumbs:

I am new to the wonders of Dosbox and the commands are confusing

Yes I read the tutorial, but it was written for someone who is already dos savy

I have tried to peice the instruction together from the scattered posts here, but alas it did not work

I (and everyone else who will read this thread in the future) would greatly appreciate it if someone could take the time to write down the directions in clear step-wise fashion

Thank you
Laserblitz is offline                         Send a private message to Laserblitz
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #244
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserblitz View Post
I am new to the wonders of Dosbox and the commands are confusing

Yes I read the tutorial, but it was written for someone who is already dos savy
This tutorial looks pretty simple to me.

But in case you still have difficulties:

1. I assume you have downloaded the zip archive from AB. Extract the archive (use 7-Zip, WinRAR, whatever...) to a location of your choosing (I suggest you create a folder called Oldgames in your user folder especially if you have Vista or Win7 and extract the zip there).

2. Download and install DOSBox-0.73 (if you haven't already).

3. After installing DOSBox, go to Start menu, search DOSBox-0.73 -> Configuration -> Edit Configuration (use e.g. Notepad to open the conf file).

4. Scroll down to the end of the conf file where it says:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

and type these two lines:
mount c "x:\...\Oldgames"
c:

(replace x:\... with the correct path you chose in step 1)

5. Run DOSBox, type cd moo (I assume the game files are now in Oldgames\moo) and hit enter -> type orion and hit enter.

6. If you did everything correctly the game should have started now.

7. If you want to get music/soundFX you have to run the game's setup program -> cd moo -> install -> Reconfigure Hardware Options -> SoundBlaster -> Address 220 -> SoundBlaster -> Address 220 -> IRQ 7 -> DRQ 1
Old 09-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #245
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 20-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #246
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

This game is now being sold on www.gog.com

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."

Last edited by Paco; 20-04-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added correct Url
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 21-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #247
punkassbitch
Abandonia nerd

Default RIP

Ahhh what a great site this was. With GOG taking over the abandonware business this site put up the good fight but alas it will soon be gone. Thanks guys it was great knowing ya.
punkassbitch is offline                         Send a private message to punkassbitch
Old 21-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #248
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Gog's been around for year and a half and we haven't closed up shop yet. There's still abandonware, and there will be abandonware even if GOG gets all games from all major publishers in its' catalogue (which isn't happening any time soon).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #249
Talkie
Forum hobbit

Default Wrong Ending

Hello,

I'm playing from a Cd-Rom version, and I noticed recently something very bizarre by looking at a Youtube video showing the ending animation (there are 2 different endings, but it's mostly just the text that is different).

In my version (1.3), it's always the same guy that shows up (with a different color for clothes depending on the color you played). I always assumed he is human because, obviously we players are all humans (I assumed other races just hired us to control the universe for them even though we're human...yeah, I guess that was kind of idiotic..).

But, on the Youtube videos, I found out that each race gets its own
ending animation (basically, just a change of the facials within the monk
clothes). In the ReadMe file of the 1.3 version, it only mentions they were aesthetic changes to the ending animation clothes. Has anyone else been aware of this oddity/bug/whatsoever? Does anyone know if the version here or the Gog version (or anywhere) has all the "different endings" proper?

Thanks.
Talkie is offline                         Send a private message to Talkie
Old 28-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #250
Alexis78
Forum hobbit

I finished Master Of Orion using always the "brainy" guys, the Psilons, and when it shows the endings appears a Psilon in that monk clothes. I have now a floppy version 1.0, but some time ago I downloaded a patch to upgrade it, but I don´t remember if with the new version the endings changed.

I think that at least floppy disk version 1.0 has different endings for sure but I only saw that Psilons ending.

Edit:

I just want to say that this game was very good for me when I understand the game mechanics; when you know the controls, the options, etc...playing in Easy mode tolds me each option in the game, like a tutorial, that was very good! I played in a copy, borrowed from a friend of mine, that has a lot of original games (Darkseed, Alone in the Dark, Prince of Persia 2 ...in big boxes!) but he had a copy too. This was a great one for me, I am happy to played some excellent games mixed with a lot of bored games, like always!

Last edited by Alexis78; 28-04-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Alexis78 is offline                         Send a private message to Alexis78