Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Default Pickle Wars

Originally shareware, released for free by the publisher after they decided to stop selling it. No longer supported.
http://download.mvpsoft.com/attic/registered/

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Cool Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Originally shareware, released for free by the publisher after they decided to stop selling it. No longer supported.
http://download.mvpsoft.com/attic/registered/
I can help with getting this up and ready... Review, etc.

I am currently busy, however, with several other requests and a large scan and file upload, along with review, for Breach 3. It might be a bit.

Get it up if you can, though! This is one of my childhood games!

"...this forum seems like a bunch of jumbled posts all bound together, except a toddler has been tearing "Posts" out of the "Binder"."

"And here we are, in the shadows, patiently awaiting a reply to appear, in it's natural habitat."

"Why quote someone else when you alone have enough ridiculous posts for the whole forum's user base?" -All Quotes StaaViinsZ
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Unhappy Unfortunately

Unfortunately, I must prove you wrong, Admin.

go to this link: http://www.redwoodgames.com/

This site is the Game dev's site, where she is apparently, this is what kills me, STILL SELLING THIS AND OTHER GAMES OF HERS. EEK!

Eh, so I don't know if Abandonia is going to be able to have this one... sad but true.

"...this forum seems like a bunch of jumbled posts all bound together, except a toddler has been tearing "Posts" out of the "Binder"."

"And here we are, in the shadows, patiently awaiting a reply to appear, in it's natural habitat."

"Why quote someone else when you alone have enough ridiculous posts for the whole forum's user base?" -All Quotes StaaViinsZ
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If publisher released it for free and someone else is selling it, then it is the one that sells that is doing something wrong. Unless they have permission from publisher in which case publisher won't allow free distribution anymore.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Exclamation Hey, You've Got Something There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
If publisher released it for free and someone else is selling it, then it is the one that sells that is doing something wrong. Unless they have permission from publisher in which case publisher won't allow free distribution anymore.
Okay, so I thought about your post...
Well, I discovered a few things:

www.MVP.com doesn't appear to have any way to get to the download page listed, although it still exists and certainly works.

Redwood games does still sell Pickle Wars, Math Rescue, etc.

The question here is: Who owns the rights?

Does the Developer (Redwood Games) own the rights to these games, or has she not obtained them from MVP Software, the Publisher, and she is "illegally" selling them, thinking they are so old, and since she made them anyway, no one will care.

Is it possible it is a Joint-ownership? Weird stuff... Somebody might wanna contact Redwood Games (Which consists of one person, the Game Developer) and say something.

Waiting hopefully, StaaViinsZ

Later Add:
If this turns out to be Freeware, however, I am entirely open to helping out with some of the process of getting it on the site... E.g. Review etc. As I said previously, I am a bit busy right now. I'm going to try to get some of my Breach 3 stuff done, for whenever it is no longer sold, and then we'll see.

Last edited by StaaViinsZ; 06-09-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 21-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Default My "Resolvation"

Okay, so this week, I talked to the Dev/Programmer of Pickle Wars.
Here is what was said:

StaaViinsZ Writes:
"""""""""""""""
Dear Karen,

I am a friend of a site called Abandonia.

At first thought, you may think "Well, since someone is still selling Pickle Wars, it's not legally (or morally, at least) Abandonware.

Here's the problem: A while back I was on the forums, when I discovered our Admin had listed a thread for Pickle Wars.
(SEE: This page: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=29702 )
Being one of my childhood games, I was ecstatic to think that perhaps it was no longer being sold and was eligible for the AB site.
On the thread he posted this link: http://download.mvpsoft.com/attic/registered/ Saying that it was now freeware as the publisher (MVP Software) had decided to no longer sell it.
This sounded great. Then, I realized that you where still selling it. At Abandonia, we post old DOS games (fulls) that are considered to be "abandoned".
Unlike some other sites, we DO NOT post any game that is (A) still being sold or (B) Protected by the ESA.

Now, here's where it gets a little complicated. You are still selling it, yet the publisher has re-leased it as free-ware.

So is it free-ware-- or not?

Is it okay to download the full version from their server-- or not?

Is it okay to put it on AB-- Or not?

Moreover, who owns the rights?

Does MVP own the rights and therefor it's free-ware-- or do you own the rights and it is not?
Or is it shared ownership? They can do whatever they wish-- You can do whatever you wish?
Perhaps it is legally free-ware, but as you are the game dev., you still sell it, as technically it is okay to sell free-ware if you were, say, the rights owner, or game developer?

This issue is very important to me.

Pleas respond as soon a possible and please do not ignore this message.

You can also post on the AB forums, if you like. I have heard guests can post there, but I'm not totally sure if it works or how you go about it.

I hope you can explain this somewhat convoluted issue.

Thank you,
StaaViinsZ
""""""""""""""""
Karen Writes:
"""""""""""""""""""
I own the copyright and I am still selling it. Abandonware should not be
distributing it.

Karen

PS - the owner of MVP software died in a car accident. He only had
distribution rights which ended with his death.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""
Karen Writes:
"""""""""""""""""
Thanks for giving me the heads up. Here's a copy of Pickle Wars from me
(all legal)

http://---

Karen (Crowther) Chun
Redwood Games
"""""""""""""""""""""""
StaaViinsZ Writes:

Wow! Thanks!

I will post this correspondence to the forum, (Besides your download link, that will be omitted) so that everyone knows what's going on with it.

So do you think you should talk to MVP software to ask them to remove that full off of their download server?

A long while back, my Dad was looking for Non-violent "alternatives" on the PC in gaming, and somehow, he must've found Pickle Wars. As a Kid, I liked it so much, (Maybe even him as well) that I believe we bought the full version. (Years ago) Others he found were Chicken Invaders, along with a Platformer that featured a Miner and mice, I think, that I've yet to find, and a Pac-Man "Parody" game that had a character that drank cokes for health, which I've also yet to find.

Your game may not have the best graphics, but no matter what, it'll always be remembered as a classic in my family.

It must be one of the reasons why I like retro gaming now.

I have one question: The soundtrack (Song) on level 1 is, admittedly, one of the weirdest I've ever heard. I know it must be playing some famous song that I can't quite recognize. Plus it has a lot of notes that seem to be "Dissonant".
It is definitely not my favorite, but I do like it, and it is the most unique level soundtrack I've ever heard. No one else quite did anything like that.
Do you know who did that song, and what the idea was behind it?

I know it's ancient, but I thought I would just ask you, since it's not like anybody else would be better to ask.

Thanks for a classic!

Stephen W-----
"""""""""""""""""""""
Karen Writes:
Bobby Prince did the music.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""''

So this clears up everything, no doubt?

Admin, please respond so I know you got this message.
Looks like Pickle Wars isn't eligible for AB yet, eh?

STUVAN

Old 21-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah, it seems like it is still sold... Which brings me to the old topic: GET THAT BREACH 3 IMAGE UPLOADED AND SCAN SOME MATERIAL!!!!

What? You thought I forgot about it and you'll slip out easily?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river