Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Metal: Needed or Unneeded?
Slayer 5 4.81%
Metallica 21 20.19%
Gwar 2 1.92%
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society 8 7.69%
Anthrax 1 0.96%
Slipknot 4 3.85%
Other (please specify) 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #51
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Well, since I'm more of an old school Rock'n'Roll kind of guy, I'd say bands like Mot?rhead and AC/DC (please, no debate whether they're metal or not :P), but lately I found Anthrax a bit interesting as well. For the record, I used to be a Sabbath and Maiden fan. Still listen to their music every now and then.

But truth is: No other band rocks like the deranged accadacca. Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUiehLy-cLY
Old 19-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #52
Himmler
Trollmaster General

Emperor (top of the list), Negura Bunget, Burzum(yeah), Opera IX, Ragnarok(Blackdoor Miracle), some Gorgoroth(not much ...few songs), Helheim, Einherjer, Finntroll, Falkenbach, Ancient(mostly Svartalvheim album), Krieg(The Blue Miasma ), Bathory ( :wub: ) and some others.
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 19-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #53
Cloudy
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moonstrider @ Aug 19 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]249555[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I like metal a lot !

I'm mostly into doom metal though, especially stuff like early Anathema, early Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride (my #1 favourite of all time ). And a lot of the classic stuff too, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Count Raven and Sleep.
Sunn O))) is also great, but they being metal, or even music, is a bit questionable. :P
While I'm at it at the noisy stuff I might as well mention Khanate and Burning Witch.

I listen to a some black metal too. Mostly old stuff, like early Ulver, Darkthrone, Ved Buens Ende (brilliant experimental stuff), Satyricon (the old stuff is as brilliant as the new the new stuff is the final proof that they have become total cocksmokers... :wallbash: ) and Mayhem (Freezing mooooooooooon !!! Damn good Attilla is back. ).

As for deathmetal I like a lot of overly technical stuff (something I in most other genres can't stand :P ).
Atheist (something inbetween prog and death), Mithras, Suffocation, Nile, Death and Origin are among the favourites.

I HATE that so called "new metal". Slipknot has made so many ignorant, stupid kids that think they know what metal is. Korn was good on their first album but 98% of the other numetal stuff sucks in a way that there are no words to describe... The funny thing about most of those bands is that they can't play live at all. :P I've seen several live videos that proves that and even saw Slipknot live on a festival once. Bands that can only play well in a studio where they can stitch their songs together from an abnormal lot of takes earn no respect from me... :not_ok:

[/b]
I like you! You like a lot of the same bands as me. Sunn o))), Ulver, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Nile, Death...

As for the death metal thing, I agree also, I love technical death metal, but in other genres of metal, and music in general, overly technical stuff annoys me a bit. In death metal it just seems.. right :P

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeathDude @ Aug 19 2006, 07:28 AM) [snapback]249571[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The thing is stuff like nu-metal, isn't metal at all. It has more elements into rock and chord progression especially and is far from metal to begin with. There are some excessive genres out there, but really there has to be some differeniation, especially when you get bands like System Of A Down and people saying they are metal, which they clearly aren't. So in some cases there has to be some distinctions, otherwise you start comparing a band like Dream Theater who are progressive with a band like Judas Priest.
[/b]
Agree also. Nu-metal isn't really metal, it's mainstream rock. That isn't to say it's all bad though. Some of it is pretty good.

And also, I would say System of a Down are metal. But I haven't listened to any of their more recent stuff, only the first 2 albums, so for all I know their style has changed.
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy
Old 19-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #54
Moonstrider
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shunk Eat Enemy @ Aug 19 2006, 04:32 AM) [snapback]249564[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well gee thanks for the comment, your a real jerk. I'd start flaming you right now but i don't feel like being banned.
[/b]
Hey, there's no need to flame me, it's just my personal opinion... And it wasn't a personal attack on anyone. And yes, I sort of blame media too. It's the know-it-all journalists fault that these bands are labeled as metal in the first place. Sorry if it offended you...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloudy @ Aug 19 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]249626[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I like you! You like a lot of the same bands as me. Sunn o))), Ulver, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Nile, Death...

As for the death metal thing, I agree also, I love technical death metal, but in other genres of metal, and music in general, overly technical stuff annoys me a bit. In death metal it just seems.. right :P
[/b]
Have you ever been to a Sunn O))) concert ? If you ever get the chance, go there. And you should check out Earth, Burning Witch and Khanate too. They have some common bandmembers, and as you might or might not know, Sunn O))) started out as a Earth tribute band. And if you like early Ulver you should definately check out Ved Buens Ende.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloudy @ Aug 19 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]249626[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Agree also. Nu-metal isn't really metal, it's mainstream rock. That isn't to say it's all bad though. Some of it is pretty good.

And also, I would say System of a Down are metal. But I haven't listened to any of their more recent stuff, only the first 2 albums, so for all I know their style has changed.
[/b]
In my opinion, recent System Of A Down has lots more similarities to hiphop than metal, from the chord progression to the singing and even the videos... That goes for most numetal bands really.

Remembered one more good numetal band though. Rage Against The Machine.
Moonstrider is offline                         Send a private message to Moonstrider
Old 19-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #55
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

System of A Down I would put more into hard rock although some call it nu-metal as well, but definitely aren't metal.

I know a big debate on a metal band is Tool. A great band and one that I enjoy listening to, but again common misconception they are metal, they are more hard rock, even with the crazy time changes and chord progressions, not to belittle the band, they are still wicked. k:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 20-08-2006, 03:02 AM   #56
Iowa
Game Wizzard

Moonstrider: Well, because my username is based off of a Slipknot album, I guess you know where this is going...

I really do disagree with your dislike for Slipknot and "new" metal, personally I think Slipknot carries a very unique style in that even though most of the tune to their music is absolutely incomprehensible (try listening to "Heretic Anthem", you'll know what I mean), it carries a great beat ("Surfacing") and [in their self-titled] really neat lyrics ("Sic"). Furthermore, my personal 'Knot experience is enhanced by the inability to stop listening...I don't even know why. I could understand your opinions, but i'd like to know just how much Slipknot you've heard before you make such accusations. Who know? Maybe you have listened to alot of them and are making a theory based on fact...if so, then i'll simply say "if that's the way you think" and walk away. However, you could be making assumptions based on their worst songs ("Eyeless", "Circle") or have not much experience...if that's the case i'll just shake my head and say "you're really making the wrong descision and missing out" and walk away, either way we avoid fighting. Don't you see how my method works?

To address the talk about "nu-metal"...well I don't particularly think it's metal either, but I do like it.

Never heard any black metal...but I wouldn't mind giving it a go (nor would I any other type of metal [except for glam, hate that crap!]).
Old 20-08-2006, 04:22 AM   #57
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Agreed on glam metal, dark time for metal, it was. Haven't heard a ton of black metal, not really a huge fan of it.

Band that I hate hearing people call metal? Kiss, honestly they are not metal, yet get classified in, bleh.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 20-08-2006, 05:16 AM   #58
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I honestly don't believe that glam is even called metal in a time when bands such as Korn are being debated...I think Korn is more metal than Twisted Sister will ever be.

I also don't think that guys dressing up as girls [and taking it so far, even Manson would cringe] is classified as a publicity stunt, no, publicity stunts draw the line at violence, drug abuse, and sex scandals.

To anyone who is wondering what exactly i'm talking about, watch VH1 Classic, and you're sure to accidentally stumble upon Poison's "We're Not Gonna Take It" video...*shudders* I actually felt myself go cross-eyed.

Oh, and when I was addressing Moonstrider I left out a point: I think live music sounds like crap anyway, so I wouldn't care even if Slipknot was bad at making live music. If you do think they're bad, though, watch "Heretic Athem Live"...at least I think that's the one...if it's not here's what i'm getting at: the drummer's set rises up into the air (with him on it and still drumming the entire way through) and starts moving and twisting and turning upside down until it completes its image: the Slipknotagram. Face it, it doesn't get any more awesome than that!
Old 20-08-2006, 05:35 AM   #59
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Korn isn't metal though again fall into the nu-metal category.

And that song was not done by Poison, but by Twisted Sister "We're not going to take it."

Live music can be good but it's not easy to find great live albums, some of my favourite ones though.

Iced Earth- Alive In Athens- One of the best live albums of all time, will go on a limb to say that, 3 Disc and really strong performance all around from everyone in the band, any metal fan needs to check this one out.

Iron Maiden- Rock in Rio- Another superb live show with a great setlist, the entire bands sounds awesome as a 6 piece and Bruce D sounds insanely wicked singing, 250,000 people were at this concert, and a few million more watched it on tv.

Dream Theater- Live At Budokan- One of there best live concerts minus a subpar performnce by the singer, but a sweet set list with about 18 or 19 songs, the band was superb and really the dvd itself is incredible, the way it was filmed looks like your watching a movie, very professional and some sweet special features on the dvd.

Dream Theater- Live Scenes From New York- Another great dvd from them, they played the entire Scenes From A Memory CD and with band commentary on the concert, some great bonus tracks, including the 24 min song Change Of Seasons performed in it's entirety, just a sweet concert that really needs to be seen to see how a great concept album can be told.

Megadeth- Rude Awakening- Megadeth's only real live cd and dvd collection, incredible set list, although the band itself was strong, minus Al Petrelli who was decent at times and butchered some solos of Marty Friedman's but still incredible all around with the energy and music being solid.

Old 20-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #60
Iowa
Game Wizzard

That's odd, I didn't even know good live albums existed I find it hard to believe you after hearing Rammstein: Live Aus Berlin. I know i've heard other live songs, but I can't put a finger on them right now...but I will say that Marylin Manson's "Antichrist Superstar" is pretty much the only live song I like.

Oh, and Deathdude's right, WNGTI is by Twisted Sister...still creepy though...