Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #41
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

I admit I don't understand why developers feel that urge to bring Adventures into 3-D.....and most times making an awful job.

I can count on the fingers good 3D Adventure games.
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 24-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #42
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I agree with the cacodemon! The best adventures are in 2 D!!!
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 24-08-2004, 02:53 PM   #43
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

its rather foolish to believe 3d is the reason the adventuregames are bad.
its just that the older ones are better (a lot of old games are better than new ones... thats why we are here and places like abandonia exist, remember?)
3d is just a feature of an evolving gameworld.
The old adventuregames were just better, and since 3d wasn't as advanced back then they were in 2d
so the old games (which were in 2d) were better.
3d doesn't change much (unless your some melancholic nostaligia-queen who bursts out in tears at the very though of an evolving gameworld)
its the creators that usually just stop trying.
Stroggy is offline                         Send a private message to Stroggy
Old 24-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #44
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I think 3D adventure games are worse than 2D games are because it takes many more people to make a 3D game so lots of people do what they think would be good for the game, so when it's all joined together the game is a ugly mix of lots of different styles of gameplay and graphics. The three exceptions to this are: 1. Grim Fandango 2. Discworld Noir 3. Escape from Monkey Island
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 24-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #45
FreeFreddy

Not much fresh stuff for new ideas left... All the best ideas so far were implemented in the old games, so the new games really need the creators to become enlightened in order to invent something really impressive.

Old 24-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #46
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
its rather foolish to believe 3d is the reason the adventuregames are bad.
its just that the older ones are better (a lot of old games are better than new ones... thats why we are here and places like abandonia exist, remember?)
3d is just a feature of an evolving gameworld.
The old adventuregames were just better, and since 3d wasn't as advanced back then they were in 2d
so the old games (which were in 2d) were better.
3d doesn't change much (unless your some melancholic nostaligia-queen who bursts out in tears at the very though of an evolving gameworld)
its the creators that usually just stop trying.
No, I love the way most games are evolving (even more complex, elaborate and intriguing), and for sure playing Neverwinter Nights is much more rewarding than playing Ultima 0 Akalabeth.
The point is that the way 3d adventures are developing makes them depend mainly on keyboard control (Monkey Island 4, Simon the Sorcerer 3d) rather than classic mouse control. It makes them work like some sort of complex Tomb Raider (and I never enjoyed that much playing TR), making them lose the charm they used to have. Maybe You're right about the fact I'm nostalgic, but that's because I miss some new Adventures really well made.
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 24-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #47
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I like that the developers are going new ways.

It's just that I feel adventures should be 2D. FPS should be 3D. In order to create a 3D environment a lot of disk space will be used. Disk space that could instead be used to make a funnier plot and more options for you to take.
Old 24-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #48
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:

No, I love the way most games are evolving (even more complex, elaborate and intriguing), and for sure playing Neverwinter Nights is much more rewarding than playing Ultima 0 Akalabeth.
The point is that the way 3d adventures are developing makes them depend mainly on keyboard control (Monkey Island 4, Simon the Sorcerer 3d) rather than classic mouse control. It makes them work like some sort of complex Tomb Raider (and I never enjoyed that much playing TR), making them lose the charm they used to have. Maybe You're right about the fact I'm nostalgic, but that's because I miss some new Adventures really well made.
doesn't have to be keyboard controlled.
Gabriel knight used a mouse... you still had to move the camera around using the mousekeys though.
I personally don't think 3d should be limited to fps.
I mean the new 3d rts games look great.
and since adventuregames aren't all that frequent, 3d is the only way it can still appeal to the young masses.
and since adventuregames zre limited I think we should be happy they still release some adventuregames (regardless of how they look)

as for the new adventuregames being to odd.
thats the only way new adventuregames can escape the gamereviewer's cage of "average games"
a lot of new adventuregames are branded the unfortunate brand of "same old, same old" and thrown into the average bin.

Many adventuregames mix 2d and 3d.
just look at syberia and grim fandango.
pre rendered backgrounds, but 3d characters.
and Myst IV is still 2d but is using some sort of faux-3d effect on objects (same goes for syberia 2)
Stroggy is offline                         Send a private message to Stroggy
Old 24-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #49
xndr2181
Game Wizzard

I pretty much agree with everyone else, I think when people decided to make games 3D they ruin a certain element of the game. Examples Alundra 2 and Suikoden 3. Anyway, I we should get back to talking about Larry cause we're If you guys really like this discussion, make a new topic in the Blah Blah Blah section about 2D to 3D games.
-Sean
xndr2181 is offline                         Send a private message to xndr2181
Old 24-08-2004, 04:50 PM   #50
FreeFreddy

Heh, that's always how it comes - in a wrong thread, and then the discussion is almost at the end there too. :wink: