Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I don't start many threads.

Anyway just recently the ABC held "My Favourite Film". Australians voted for their favourite all time films and Donnie Darko came in at number 5. The panel on the show did not believe that this film, although they did like it, should be on the top ten. Personally I felt a little insulted by this as it is most probably my favourite film, and thankfully SBS are showing it in 40 minutes so I may watch it once again.

I was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on the movie.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 07-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Nikson
Game Wizzard

We had to analyze the movie for Multimedia class in Year 12. It's definitely a cult movie, it bears no similarities to blockbusters, but it is an excellent film in its own right.
A complex plot that is hard to understand even after several viewings.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 07-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I loved it, but the Director's Cut completely ruined it for me by making all the neat mysterious stuff explicit. It would probably be in my personal top 10 - it's certainly an absolutely amazing debut as both writer and director, and it has Drew Barrymore bothering to act for a change - I've never understood why she does so much crappy work. I guess it pays better than the good stuff. Plus Noel thingy from ER is in it as eye candy for the ladies.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 07-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've only seen the director's cut, 4 times too. Don't know what version they'll put on TV, I assume the normal one.

Anyway I'm off to watch it again.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 07-12-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you get a chance to see the theatrical release (well, the original one since the DC was actually released in cinemas) go for it, it's much better IMO.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well the one just on TV was different to the one I have previously seen, it didn't have the extracts from the Philosophy of Time Travel book, so it must have been the original.

The thing I love about this movie is you can never know what truly is reality in it. I'll be thinking about this for another couple days, as I always do.

Also I'm wondering if you know of any good psychological thriller books, I just read Surrender by Sonya Hartnett and have been thinking about that since I finished it. Looking to get into some more.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, I have it and I agree it's a great movie, but sorry it wouldn't be among the top 100 on my list (sorry, too many other movies are better - at least in my book).

It would be among the top 500 though and if you consider how many movies there are in the world that's still top-notch (I know I've seen over 50.000 movies in my life thus far - yup, that's a lot - that means that at least one year of my life was spent just for watching movies - without sleeping).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It was an okay movie, though a bit vague. I couldn't really understand why the guy who lend it to me was so lyrical about it. It was nice, dark and mysterious, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it groundbreaking... just a decent, weird movie imho.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 07-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Dec 7 2005, 02:18 PM
(I know I've seen over 50.000 movies in my life thus far - yup, that's a lot - that means that at least one year of my life was spent just for watching movies - without sleeping).
Just estimating, but given an average running-time of 90 minutes, this would be not just a year but almost 9 years, in your case a third of your actual life-time thus far... You sure you didn't slip in one "0" too many?

@ topic: It is definetely a good film, but it also wouldn't be among my alltime-favourites.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 07-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's one of those movies that really gets to some people I think, while other people just think it's OK. I'm like that with American Beauty, I absolutely adore that movie (it's probably my favourite film) but a lot of people think it's good but not great. Depends on your taste, really.

I was christmas shopping today and I saw the original version for ?3.97 in Music Zone (along with Eddie Izzard's Circle DVD which I got for my sister) - that's pretty much the same price as renting it; can't go wrong for that!