Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #1
mnb11

Default Third person PC action game with a winter level and warrior/samurai protagonist

Hello everyone,

I just found this website via reddit's tipofmyjoystick - I've tried my luck 4 times over there, but nobody was able to find my game, and, even if I'm slowly starting losing hope about ever seeing it again, I've decided to give it a shot!
So, let's start with games I already ruled out:
  • Tenchu
  • Onimusha series
  • PoP 3D
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Arabian Nights
  • Way of the Samurai
  • Severance:Blade of Darkness
  • Rune
  • Dynasty Warriors

- I played it on my PC (Athlon XP, 256 MB of RAM, GeForce 4MX, either Windows 98 or XP) in early to mid 2000's, probably around 2003/04. I've got it from my uncle from Germany, along with some other games I can't remember.
- It was a third person action adventure game.

- I'm pretty sure that main hero resembled a samurai, or at least some kind of warrior. He used sword in combat, that's for sure. In a way, he always reminded me of Prince from Sands of Time trilogy. I'm also almost certain that he speaked in cutscenes.

Sadly, aside from that I don't remember much, but here is what I've managed to gather.

Things I'm almost 99% certain of:
  • a winter level
  • part of another level with small bridge and enemies on it (and possibly lava underneath)
  • breakable things (vases? pots?) with bonuses (health?)

Things I'm not so sure about:
  • on that bridge mentioned earlier streams of lava could shoot upwards onto the bridge and hurt you (or it was just some sort of enemy attack)
  • a possible sequence with boulders rolling at main character
  • game started in some place that resembled either a shrine/temple, Alladin-esque palace or a prison. Or all that mixed up.
  • simple puzzles (pulling levers to open things, etc.)

Is there any chance remembers this game?
mnb11 is offline                         Send a private message to mnb11
Old 01-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Let me make two wild guesses:

Heretic 2
O.D.T.

Unfortunately, I cannot found anything else without extensive Moby searching...
Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
mnb11

Sadly, it's neither of those games, but I really appreciate your help!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Oh, two quick questions.

1. Was it the _big_ game (like, filling whole CD) or small one (like, several floppies/part of compilation/shareware)?

2. What perspective it was? I got idea somehow that it's third person 3D, but actually nothing in your text claims it...
Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
mnb11

1. Definietly a bigger, commercial title (wasn't shareware or freeware, that's for sure). Can't really tell much about the way of it was distributed, as my uncle had it zipped along with some other games on his hard drive - he probably just pirated it.

2. But I wrote that it was third person Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. It was a typical 3D third-person action game, with camera showing and following whole character like for example in PoP 3D, not over the shoulder view or something like that.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb11 View Post
1. Definietly a bigger, commercial title (wasn't shareware or freeware, that's for sure). Can't really tell much about the way of it was distributed
Well, it was mostly about visibility. While most bigger releases almost definitely are on Moby, smaller ones are mostly falls into cracks. So while big are almost surely can be found, second type are not guaranteed. Ok.
Quote:
But I wrote that it was third person Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. It was a typical 3D third-person action game, with camera showing and following whole character like for example in PoP 3D, not over the shoulder view or something like that.
Well, I taken it just that, but then understood that it can be much wider variety. Abe's Oddysee is 3rd person. Diablo 2 is 3rd person too. And Tomb Raider. And even Final Fantasy 3! While every one is totally different sort of "3rd person".

Ok, I'll check it later then.

Oh, quick question: how about Die by the sword and Soul Reaver 2 (or any other Kain game)?

Last edited by Smiling Spectre; 02-08-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 02-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
mnb11

Sadly, it's also neither of those, nor any from the Legacy of Kain series.
I feel bad that I can't give you more tips ;/
Old 26-08-2015, 04:35 AM   #8
Megaten
Abandonia nerd

Tien, maybe?
The game was in English, correct?
Megaten is offline                         Send a private message to Megaten
Old 27-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #9
mnb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaten View Post
Tien, maybe?
The game was in English, correct?
Oh man, I'm forever in your debt, I just checked this, and lo and behold - it's my game, after like, 12 years.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, CASE CLOSED!