Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #101
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Fruit Pie Jones@Oct 18 2005, 03:57 PM
I was just certain that Raffles was going to point out that the Latin root of semester means "six months," so the concept of a "spring semester" is fundamentally flawed, because spring doesn't last for six months no matter where you live. Although I'm somewhat disappointed, I recognize that this is prescriptivism taken to an unrealistic extreme, so perhaps I should hold Raffles in higher regard for not doing such a thing, regardles of how tempted she may have been. :bleh:
Or, you just saved me the trouble of saying that no one cares.
Not to be offensive, it's just that everyone except those insanely picky scholars don't care at all.

The only thing they care about is that they call other people dumb online for misspelling a word, then misspelling "misspell".

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 18-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #102
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Oct 18 2005, 10:59 PM
"misspell".
You're sending a postcard to Miss Pell? I didn't know you met her too
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 18-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #103
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I assume you think I did spell it wrong, well on the contrary...
Dictionary

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 18-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #104
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

ok, ok.... Could you guys get back on tópic, please? Post your address here or pm if you want to get any postcard....

damnit... forgot to buy my postcards, again sorry! so far I got 4 addresses: Romano, Sebastianos, TheChosen and Danny252; anybody else?
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 18-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #105
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy+Oct 18 2005, 08:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Blood-Pigggy @ Oct 18 2005, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fruit Pie Jones@Oct 18 2005, 03:57 PM
I was just certain that Raffles was going to point out that the Latin root of semester means "six months," so the concept of a "spring semester" is fundamentally flawed, because spring doesn't last for six months no matter where you live.* Although I'm somewhat disappointed, I recognize that this is prescriptivism taken to an unrealistic extreme, so perhaps I should hold Raffles in higher regard for not doing such a thing, regardles of how tempted she may have been.* :bleh:
Not to be offensive, it's just that everyone except those insanely picky scholars don't care at all.

The only thing they care about is that they call other people dumb online for misspelling a word, then misspelling "misspell". [/b][/quote]
Sorry to be getting this even further off-topic, but really, Piggy, but what exactly was the point of that comment? FPJ is certainly not an insanely picky scholar, as you seem to be implying. He just happens to care about spelling and grammar, and there's nothing wrong about that. If you ask me, more people ought to be picky about the sort of English they write, really...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 18-10-2005, 10:37 PM   #106
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles+Oct 18 2005, 05:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A. J. Raffles @ Oct 18 2005, 05:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Oct 18 2005, 08:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fruit Pie Jones
Quote:
@Oct 18 2005, 03:57 PM
I was just certain that Raffles was going to point out that the Latin root of semester means "six months," so the concept of a "spring semester" is fundamentally flawed, because spring doesn't last for six months no matter where you live.* Although I'm somewhat disappointed, I recognize that this is prescriptivism taken to an unrealistic extreme, so perhaps I should hold Raffles in higher regard for not doing such a thing, regardles of how tempted she may have been.* :bleh:

The only thing they care about is that they call other people dumb online for misspelling a word, then misspelling "misspell".
Sorry to be getting this even further off-topic, but really, Piggy, but what exactly was the point of that comment? FPJ is certainly not an insanely picky scholar, as you seem to be implying. He just happens to care about spelling and grammar, and there's nothing wrong about that. If you ask me, more people ought to be picky about the sort of English they write, really... [/b][/quote]
If you ask me I was being sarcastic and silly, but it seems that for the past two months you haven't realized my more "outlandish" behavoir, disregard any comments you see as not up to your standard.
And my post really didn't have less of a point than FPJ's, so there's no reason to be hypocritical and chastise me for making off topic posts while you yourself were doing the same previously.

In other regards, take what I say more lightly, and don't take it into consideration too much, or you'll be overdoing it, as most people seem to do in certain cases. And as for the spelling and grammar thing, there's really no need for over extensive accuracy in a online board simply existant for discussion between individualy beings, as it was being discussed before, it's purpose was undeniably needed because the discussion about "semesters" was in progress.

In a more on topic side - I'm too nit-picky about giving my address out, and what would my parents think if I get a post card from some place off in Norway or England?

My Site -
Old 19-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #107
lethe
Game freak

This topic kinda hits the undying wish I have of visiting all the places in the world, and even the one of living in most of them as well.

You're all evil!
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 19-10-2005, 06:34 AM   #108
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Oct 18 2005, 10:37 PM
If you ask me I was being sarcastic and silly, but it seems that for the past two months you haven't realized my more "outlandish" behavoir, disregard any comments you see as not up to your standard.
[...]
In other regards, take what I say more lightly, and don't take it into consideration too much, or you'll be overdoing it, as most people seem to do in certain cases. And as for the spelling and grammar thing, there's really no need for over extensive accuracy in a online board simply existant for discussion between individualy beings, as it was being discussed before, it's purpose was undeniably needed because the discussion about "semesters" was in progress.

In a more on topic side - I'm too nit-picky about giving my address out, and what would my parents think if I get a post card from some place off in Norway or England?
Outlandish? How so? Well no, not really. I was only thinking that maybe your older brother had taken over your account during your absence...

That's two very nice and elaborate sentences that you have there, but they don't make any sense to me, I'm afraid. You may have misunderstood my point there (and I am being serious about this): When I said people ought to care more about how they write, I didn't mean they ought to write like a thesaurus and make lavish use of punctuation marks. But it's very easy to become sloppy about your language in a medium like this, and sloppiness about how you write is simply a bad habit. Yes, the sole purpose of forums like this one is to be a platform for people to communicate, but you will run into situations where you have to communicate with people outside internet forums (even if it's just a job application), and then you'll be struggling with those bad habits you picked up. But suit yourself.

Well, your parents would probably just think that you've put your name on one of those chain letters. Or joined some weird foreign postcard-cult, perhaps.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 19-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #109
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

If I may contribute once again to the off-topic side of this conversation, Raffles is right; I'm not an insanely picky scholar, but I do care about spelling and grammar. However, I don't care about these things simply for the purpose of needling people; I'm interested (on an amateur level) in the English language and its history. I like finding out information about the origin of a particular word or phrase, especially one that I've used for ages without really thinking about it. (WordOrigins.org is an excellent website for this sort of thing, if I'm not the only one.) An appreciation for correct spelling and grammar goes along with that interest.

I also agree with Raffles' other point: communication is a necessary part of life for social creatures (which we are), and a solid grasp of the mechanics of your language will help you to be an effective communicator.

One more note: I have a great deal of respect for those of you who speak English as a second (or third or fourth or...) language. It's the only one I speak, so if I ever make a derogatory remark about your skills with the language, feel free to put me in my place.
Old 20-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #110
Ines

Wink

I appreciate some of the great English I got to read on these pages, especially because English is my second/third language. What a treat this was and what an interesting discussion. Spelled or misspelled. Although I also get pretty notorious about spelling and grammar myself (ask Kosta :whistle: ). Thanks for the site connection on etymology.

Thanks for the few good laughs too.

To continue on the topic, I am in the country where post service doesn't exist, and postcards (not greeting cards) can be bought only in places that are a mix of a museum and a galery. The postcards are in most cases from 70s, maybe 80s, or even before those (ancient ) times.

I would love to send or all of you a postcard from Kinshasa in DR Congo, not to mention how thrilling would it be to receive some.
It is so good to know a post office is there, although you may never want to use it to send mail. Now I understand why. Three months ago my family sent me a birthday card - never saw it. :help:

Snail-mail is great!!
Ines is offline                         Send a private message to Ines