Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Being really impressed by the drawings shown here, I want to show some of my art to you guys. As I'm not that good at drawing I decided to take some photos of my painted Warhammer / Warhammer 40k miniatures instead and post them here. Feel free to commend on these pictures, and if someone has tips how to improve my painting skills, I would be glad to hear suggestions.

The first pic is my Warhammer 40k Space Ork Waaaghboss. I love Orks!

Here are some "normal" Space Orks of various types:

From Warhammer Fantasy my Bretonian Standard Bearer:

and a Bretonian Archer:

The miniatures have a height from 1" to 2" and are painted with 'Citadel' acrylic colours. For painting one miniature I need from 5 hrs to 12 hrs, depending on the details and the size of each one.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 13-03-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

IMO they're a bit 'clean' looking - these guys (especially the Ork) are in the middle of a battle; they should look a bit dirtier! I used to play WH before I realised what a massive waste of all my money it was (played p&p RPG's instead, they're much cheaper) and painting/customising the models was the best part. I spent ages customising my undead army. I always thought custom banners look much better than the crappy stickers they supply, though it is a lot of work, but worth it if you get it right!
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 14-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I agree with Beef-boy. The Brettonian Standard Bearer would be much better if you dry-brushed his uniform with Skull White along the edges.

As for the Ork, use more colours.
When I paint Orks, Goblins, Hobgoblins and so on, I first use Goblin Green as the subcolour, then I ink the entire thing. From then on I use up to 6-7 layers of green - from the darkest black-green to a light yellow-green paint, just to get the skin correct. After that, it is time to paint the rest of the model.

Most of my colours are self-made.

My best advice to you would be to learn the dry-brushing technique, and to mix your own paint.

I'll take some pictures of some of my models when I get back to Norway.

From what I can see from your models, you have a lot of skill already.
Keep it up k:
Old 14-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
I used to play WH before I realised what a massive waste of all my money it was
you are absolutely right...

Quote:
painting/customising the models was the best part
and even more with that.

My miniatures have never been into battle (that's to explain their "clean" look LOL ), I only collect and paint some of them. I have a small Space Ork Army (about 500 points), the rest are single miniatures. But a little bit more dirt would surely not suffer. I tried a dirt-effekt on the tires of these vehicles:

And I would really like to see some of your models, Tom!

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 14-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik+Mar 14 2005, 01:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tom Henrik @ Mar 14 2005, 01:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I agree with Beef-boy. [/b]

Beef-boy? Makes me sound like a superhero sidekick. Maybe Robin's slightly older gay lover...

<!--QuoteBegin-Tommyboy

My best advice to you would be to learn the dry-brushing technique, and to mix your own paint. [/quote]
Inks and drybrushing are the way forward, especially for skin and armour. I had my own mix of ink for skeletons, applied over a bone-coloured base slightly darker than the bone citadel colour then some drybrushing on top - it took hardly any time to do a whole skeleton and looked pretty good.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 14-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Great vehicles!

The tire effect is very good! (You can improve the effect by gluing grass and dirt to the undercarriage of the bikes. Like when you drive off-road, you will discover that a lot of mud is thrown up behind the wheel).

Also, I see that you have tried to make the metal look more used, by adding Dwarf Bronze. Great idea! Another tip when you paint metal is to use Black Ink a lot. The ink will go into the cracks, and bring the metal out. That way you will get the details of the plating around the bike more visible.
Old 14-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Mar 14 2005, 01:46 PM
Another tip when you paint metal is to use Black Ink a lot. The ink will go into the cracks, and bring the metal out. That way you will get the details of the plating around the bike more visible.
That goes for armour too, or maybe a dark brown if you want a bit of rust/dried blood on there too.

I had the right-hand Ork vehicle model with a load of customisation at one point for this Ork racing game someone I knew had made up - that was fun.
Old 14-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The paintjobs are a bit clean, but there is something worse: they look _flat_. Practice more on highlighting/shading.

:evil: Seems I have something to post around this part of the board tomorrow...

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
TaloN
Hero Gamer

orc skin tip:

take a green wash after painting with orc green. apply thickly and allow to dry into every change in skin. it gives the skin some texture.
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 14-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

:w00t: i think bobbin has done very nice colorings... i can imagine how difficult it is
to color such figures, and just like with drawing a picture, it needs a lot of patience
and a stable hand...!!!

ok, maybe some 'dirtier' nuances would have emphasized the touch of reality of
these figures even more, but nevertheless this is impressive work - especially
the vehicles!! k:

and i must say, i like this new type of art...i mean, up to now, we've "only" had
"ordinary" art, but this is something completely new for this forum (plz, don't
get my wrong...you know i love the stuff we've assembled so far, but this here
delivers a fresh approach, nonetheless!)

maybe you could also present some nice battle scenes?

Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe