Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-02-2005, 04:15 AM   #1
Nhim

Hi! I'm new to this terrific site, and i've jsut downloaded Dune 2. The main reason being i'm currently reading the book for the first time (God it's Great!), and i'Ve been thrown back to the time when I used to play the game a lot. One of my favotite games of all times. Anyway, i've managed to set it up so I get the music score, but I can't get the voices. The best I can get is a single «Dune...» when it appears, but I don't have any music then (that's when I select Sound blaster pro for the sound, even though I don't have sound blaster pro.) I have an old computer that runs with Win 98, so I figured I could play this game fine. My sound perepheric is a ES 1868 audiodrive plug and play (WDM). I think my audio card is an ESS audio drive, but i'm not really an expert on these matters, I just want to play the game :ranting: ! Is there anyway I can get the voices to function normaly without changing the sound card? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I can still have access to dos if I want to, although I do everything using windows. Thanks for any help you can give! :bye:
Nhim is offline                         Send a private message to Nhim
Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 AM   #2
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I belive that your sound card is SOund Blaster compatible, all you have to do is to find proper settings for it. Do you have dos drivers installed, and when you boot system do you see sound settings screen just after Win98 logo?
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 05-02-2005, 04:22 AM   #3
Nhim

Well, I don't now if I have DOS drivers installed, because its not really my computer, its my girlfriends, but I don't recall seing any sound setting screen after the dos logo, it all happens automatically.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
xoopx
Hero Gamer

the music is adlib (as far as i can tell, its hard to mistake that sound!) so you should use DOSBOX to run dune2. it has the best adlib emulation. this sounds like a bit of a standard answer, but its the best way.
also make sure you have music turned on in the options-game controls.
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 07-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Nhim

Thanks, but how much space does DOS BOX take? Would it be really necessary? because I can still have access to DOS just by selecting «quit to DOS». And its an old computer and doesn't have that much space.

Plus I now notice a new problem: The mini map on the side screen does not work. It stays black and only shows my main base.
Also, the read me says to copy the patches in the directory, but I don't see the patches in the files I downloaded. Man! Who would have thought that running an old game would be so complicated!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

On the old computer you are better to use DOS, as DOSBox will not work well.

Open computer, write down everything about sound card and search on the net for DOS drivers and programs for DOS. Or if you like, search for Everest software, which will tell you a lot about hardware on that computer.

Mini map should work later, when you got satelite image, if I'm not mistaken. :crazy:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 07-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Look Here First and look at the quoted guide at the bottom of the second post for tips about running DOS games under Win 98.

k:
Old 09-02-2005, 12:50 AM   #8
Nhim

Thanks for everything! I should be able to make it work, now. And yes, now that you mention it Anubis, the mini map only works when you'Ve got the radar, my mistake :P