Old 18-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Order a T-shirt and we'll forgive you
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 18-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
The Regent

Well, someone has to defend this game...I guess it's gonna be me.

First of all, I've only ever experienced one bug in this game. The one dealing with a certain blueish stone. I don't know why my version runs so well, but I'm not gonna complain. k:

Second, the story isn't bad. Hyperdrives stop working so aliens join you in your quest to find out why. You meet new enemies and new friends, and you also learn why hyperdrives no longer work. Also if you pay attention to what the precursor says, he explains why they are what they are... SPOILER --> As for the Orz, it seems they are the Eternal1s or are working for them.

Third, the puppets aren't bad...just kind of 'blah' in certain cases. The Syreen may have been changed badly and the Pkunk turned into super-hippies, but the Spathi are still funny and so are the Orz with their comments about *squeezing the juice* and *special sauce*.

Lastly, there's the combat. It's the same as the other SCs. I, for one, don't like the combat system in SC games. It's too easy to get blown up and your starting ships just aren't up to the task. Your best bet in this game is to get some Constructor ships before taking on any of the later fights.

Old 18-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #13
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

ugh it made me turn my head away, and click on the X in the top right corner when i saw no digital effects. i realise space is expencive and also download bandwidth, but game without sound effects? no thanks. i am the kind of person that usually turn off the music when playing the game. among rare games i didn't turn it off are Heroes of Might and Magic, C&C and offcourse Morrowind.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 18-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by The Regent@May 18 2006, 05:46 PM
Second, the story isn't bad.
Come on, I'm not going to discuss every aspect of the plot, but the way you win the game, going to every race and asking them for a little of "brain volts"... I felt very stupid doing that.
Old 19-05-2006, 04:16 AM   #15
Guest_Nathanael

Umm the game wont work for me and its incredibly slow on dosbox. Can anybody help?

Old 19-05-2006, 04:35 AM   #16
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I still dont end the download 30Mb and counting.
Firstly i want congratulate Japofran by the excelent review that he has done. I liked to read it.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Star Control 1's story was integral to Star Control 2.
Its true that in SC2, you are told that the war between the alliance of free stars and the Ur-quan with their battle slaves has ended with the defeat of the alliance. The SC1 is only an strategic game without plot you can play as free stars or as Hierachy(Ur-quan´s side). But you are not told of anything inside the game about the war. In SC2 there are plenty of info about the war and plus the war got a winner(SC1 you can win with both sides). what if i won SC1 with the alliance of free stars? i cant play SC2. SC2´s plot is independent of SC1, it´s related but independent.

Quote:
The creators of the saga, Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford, left the second part's story purposely unfinished, but for some reason they didn't get to make the third part themselves.
There are many stories about the last step of the denveloping of SC2, guesst is right in all. PR3 and FF have done the impossible to end SC2 coz they were a kind of cutted off by Accolade. Accolade doesnt agree to make SC3 with them (guesst has told the full story). Accolade made his own SC3. Later SC2 code get in the net and the ur-quan master projet born to remake the game.

Quote:
now the Ur-Quan seem old instead of fierce
I make the translation of all the Ur-quan dialogues of SC2 to spanish. When i got them finished, a friend of mine that speaks english really well told me that the language used by Ur-quans is a kind of anchaic english. I have to retranslate all to an archaic spanish like the one used in the "Mio Cid". So Ur-quans are old and they only enslave people they are not fierce as black ur-quans or Kohr-Ar. They enslave people to protec them, they arent as Thrradash that like war or Korh.Ar that kill every sentinet life for their own security.
41 MG, now

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! there are not more the captains operating the ships during battles. :ranting:
Old 19-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #17

I didn't know Paul Reiche III did the Star Control series. I know he's behind Archon and Mail Order Monsters and I'm a big fan of those games.

Old 19-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #18
hfric

So it i understand right only the speech was riped ? and all the other things are there .
hfric is offline                         Send a private message to hfric
Old 19-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #19
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by hfric@May 19 2006, 02:45 PM
So it i understand right only the speech was riped ? and all the other things are there .
If I'm not wrong all digital sounds were ripped, including speech. The only remaining sounds are the MIDI music.

Thank you Laiocfar for your good opinion of my review. I still see difference between the appearance of the Ur-Quan in both games. In SC2 they were very fearsome even in 320x200, in SC3 they're kind of pathetic. The Spanish in El cantar de Mío Cid would be excessively archaic. The Ur-Quan used some fogeyish words here and there but didn't speak as in the Middle Ages, not even like Shakespeare.
Old 19-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #20

The Ur-Quan as league members was a bit... weird. Now the Quans obviously had to be in there, but its as if they really didn't know what to do with them. Personally I had always imagined that SC3 would be alot like SC2 and the Quans would this time just be these random 'pirate' forces still following their doctrines, but not as powerful anymore. But they went with that whole league deal, and if they had dropped the Urqies, well... ther'd have been hell to pay.

However given how they where treated, they might as well HAD dropped them.

If you build a Quan colony, it'll split off and become a Kohr-Ah colony, only they are really green Ur-Quan pretending to be Kohr-Ah and there is some hint of the Dnyarri possibly still being alive. However, stupidly enough, you can never sort this out in SC3!

The Urq's just have their civil war and there is nothing you can do about it! As a sideeffect it also means in practice you can have only one Quan colony.. But heck, there is no need to build colonies in SC3 anyway. Its pointless.

Also notably missing from the league where the Yehat and the Shofixti (Why wouldn't they join?) The Druuge (Sure, they where bastards, but they'd have joined.) And the Zoq-Fot-Pik (Again, why didn't they join? They where also one of the most hilarious races in SC2. Then again, the geniuses behind 3 would have just copied all the old frungy dialogue and added nothing new.)

Also speaking of SC3 dialogue... Anyone notice what a complete DORK they turned the Captain into?
He had some silly answer options in SC2, but they where lovable and funny. These miss as often as they hit. If not more.