Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Your welcome to write a review yourself. Just PM Kosta and volunteer. I admin I could have spend weeks getting to know this game, but frankly, it didn't seem interesting.
We will probably never agree on this, but if a game loses my attention after an hour, it's a bad game, in my opinion. This might not be everybody else's opinion, but hey, that the benefit of writing a review. You get to say what YOU think of the game.
And I really didn't like Little People Farm and Dylan Dog (Power Dolls was so-so), so yeah, so they Cadavar can fit in the same cateogry as them if you ask me.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 19-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #12
Rikje Suede
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Dec 18 2005, 04:08 PM
We will probably never agree on this, but if a game loses my attention after an hour, it's a bad game, in my opinion. This might not be everybody else's opinion, but hey, that the benefit of writing a review. You get to say what YOU think of the game.
True! And, of course here on this forum we can say what WE think of that game, but why argue about the taste of the reviewer????.
The great thing is: even if the reviewer thinks the game sux, we are all given a chance to download and play it, and see for ourselves! k:
Rikje Suede is offline                         Send a private message to Rikje Suede
Old 19-12-2005, 05:46 AM   #13
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup+Dec 18 2005, 02:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Reup @ Dec 18 2005, 02:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered guy #1@
I think this is a really bad review...
<!--QuoteBegin-Unregistered guy #2

I suppose, that the reviewer never played it for more than 15 minutes.
Why is it unfair to 'trash' a game you don't like? I care to think I gave some pretty good downsides: the poor playability without a gamepad, the lack of music and the meager sound-effects. And for the record, I've played it for more than an hour, ending up with a massive case of RSI.
You can all submit your own rating using the vote buttons. I did so to, only added a bit of comment. Just because the game is 'a classic' doesn't mean it needs a high mark. Heck, all of our games are classic. [/b][/quote]
Needing gamepad should NOT reflect on a game as I already said. That's just plain silly. You can mention it in the review, but letting the score get affected by this is a big no-no. If the keyboard was too hard to use, you should have used to a gamepad which it was designed for.
The first thing a reviewer has to do is accept what takes for the game to play well as long as it's reasonable. And a gamepad is hardly the end if the world. (ask any professional reviewer if you won't believe me)

And a "classic does mean that it's a good game". I think you're confusing the word "classic" with "landmark". A classic is a game that still remains great fun despite its age.

clas.sic n.
An artist, author, or work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance.

Giving a game of the highest rank and excellence 2/5 ? Anyway, my point is that it's unfair on the game to not even have played it with a gamepad as it was designed for, which you even admitted!

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 19-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #14
Wintermute

I agree on the others. It's like: "I played Wing Commander with my mouse and the game sucked because my arm got lame".

I also think, any reviewer has the right for his own opinion. Missing Music surely lowers the rating (i just remember the great MIDI tunes of Might & Magic III) But my question is, why somebody writes an review (really, no offense, the review was ok), when is is not intrested in the game, the genre and the style of the game. Why didn't R

Old 19-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #15
Wintermute

I agree on the others. It's like: "I played Wing Commander with my mouse and the game sucked because my arm got lame".

I also think, any reviewer has the right for his own opinion. Missing Music surely lowers the rating (i just remember the great MIDI tunes of Might & Magic III) But my question is, why somebody writes an review (really, no offense, the review was ok), when is is not intrested in the game, the genre and the style of the game. Why didn't Reup just said "i looked at the game, i didn't like it, why can't somebody else do the review who like such games" instead, than (yes, my english NOT good, sorry) to say "Oh, well, let's get it over with", playing it and getting more annoyed by it every by every minute, wich will also reflect on the review.

But nonetheless, keep on the great work!

Old 20-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #16
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by red_avatar@Dec 19 2005, 08:46 AM
Giving a game of the highest rank and excellence 2/5 ? Anyway, my point is that it's unfair on the game to not even have played it with a gamepad as it was designed for, which you even admitted!
I've been giving this some thought.
You see, the thing is, the game was designed for PC. That means the peripherals are going to vary from computer to computer. Not everyone will have a gamepad/joystick; afaik most PC users use keyboard/mouse combo's. This way of interaction is enough to control the most complex game. Don't you think it is a serious weak point in the game's design if a joypad is mandatory to even enjoy the game? Don't you think the developers could have spent a day or two builing in mouse support, of decent keyboard support? Isn't user interaction one of the most important things in ANY computer application. I've played a gazillion games and NEVER EVER needed a gamepad. So why should I purchase one for a game that has so many other flaws.

Quote:
And a "classic does mean that it's a good game". I think you're confusing the word "classic" with "landmark". A classic is a game that still remains great fun despite its age.
I'm aware of this. But I still think that most of the games on Abandonia ARE classics. We focus on quality not on quantity. We've rejected games we (or reviewers) thought were unsuitable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wintermute
Why didn't Reup just said "i looked at the game, i didn't like it, why can't somebody else do the review who like such games" instead
That might be something for the future. But as I earlier pointed out, everybody's free to submit another (a better) review. Kosta will decide wether or not he'll put it on the site.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 20-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #17
Javaguy
Abandonia nerd

I thought it was a fine review, if you disagree just post your rating. I love some games that have been rated horrible (modern ones like driver3)
opinions change.
still its a nice review, and I give every game I see a 5 anyway
and the why doesnt someone who likes it does a review?
thats silly, then every game in the world will get 10/10 because there will be someone there who likes it. Reviewers give their opinion on the game and we chose to take their opinion, or ignore it, quietly.
Javaguy is offline                         Send a private message to Javaguy
Old 22-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #18

Cadaver rating: 5

Reviewer Rating: 0

Nothing to add to already overwhelming mass opinion on the thread.

Old 14-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Emeraldsson

Hi,
I am at the end of the first level of Cadaver (finally), but after I killed a dragon and pulled a lever, I was asked for some sort of password or a number. I wasn't able to find it with google as usually in these situations. Does anybody have a link or a piece of advice? Thanks!

Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Dec 20 2005, 07:52 AM
Quote:

I've been giving this some thought.
You see, the thing is, the game was designed for PC. That means the peripherals are going to vary from computer to computer.
Hum... I thought it was primarly designed for the Amiga like all the other great other bitmap brothers game then adapted after to PC... :blink:
And with a pad it's really a great game. I enjoyed that one a lot on Amiga years ago.
And there's not many reason for not having a pad these days. :blink: