Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #281
Momoftrips

[quote=kmonster;447764]I never used any keys for those doors since the skullduggery skill doesn't improve this way. Return when you've gained a few levels and your skullduggery skill gets higher. Just don't jam the locks while your skill is still too low, save before trying the lock and if it doesn't work reload from before your first try and go elsewhere.[/QUO

Yes, I try to remember to always save before trying a door! Once you've been killed a few times for not remembering, it gets easier! Since I didn't see any green on the tumblers, I didn't even try the lock because I was afraid that I would jam it, so I just tried the knock-knock and if that didn't work, I just moved on. I might try that "pause,end" that was suggested. Thats a really good idea! Its just frustrating because I don't ever recall having this much trouble in New City before. The setting is at Med-maybe before it was on easy and I just didn't realize it! I'll just go as far north as I can before that gorn General stops me and then make my way back. I'll see how many levels I can get that way. Thanks for the tips!
Momoftrips is offline                         Send a private message to Momoftrips
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #282
Sacred_Path
Forum hobbit

I just wanted to ask if the version on this site is Wizardry Gold? Because I seem to have the diplomacy bug.

I'm in New City and want to buy some weapons at Arms of Argus. So I walk into the store, then cast "Charm" on Rossarian to get a better reaction. Then I use my Bishop (diplomacy ~10), choosing the "truce" option. I get the message "Rossarian appears pleased". However, then it's back to the same screen; I still only have the options truce, bribe, force available. Am I right in suspecting that I should have gotten the "trade" option by now?
Sacred_Path is offline                         Send a private message to Sacred_Path
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #283
Scatty
Treasure hunter

No, it's a normal version of Wizardry 7. Wizardry Gold is much larger, something like 40MB or more.
It's also not a bug you're describing, it happened all the time to me, too. Sometimes it requires more than one attempt of negotiating before things go up (or down to fight), especially at low Diplomacy skill. Just start another negotiation again until it comes to a result.
Charm only helps a bit, it doesn't guarantee a positive result.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 03-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #284
Sacred_Path
Forum hobbit

Ah thx. It confused me a bit that it's an .iso the manual is a windows .hlp file.
Sacred_Path is offline                         Send a private message to Sacred_Path
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #285
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Yeah, it's one a bit awkward to use version of Wizardry VII. If you have any trouble installing or playing it, there was a link somewhere on previous pages by Paco, I think, to an easier-to-use version of it. Or you can download this version from The Ultimate Wizardry Archives box, it's also quite easy to use (details are at the bottom of it's review) - Link.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #286
Sacred_Path
Forum hobbit

Hey, talk about coincidence. While waiting for an answer I really downloaded the abandoneer version and played it up to about the same point. And it's sort of... different. So it's from the Wizardry Archives, I thought it was the floppy version.

Things I have noticed about the Abandonia .iso (compared to the Archives version):

- It runs fast. I had to set DosBox down to 2000 CPU cycles, and still the text was very fast. The Archives version I run at 8000 cycles, and that's just about right.

- The sound was off (well the volume). I really had to fiddle around with the settings (setting music to very quiet, sounds to very loud, turning up speaker volume). Everything ok in the Archives version.

- It's easy to roll high scores. I got 22 points on every 5th-6th try. In the Archives version, I have rolled for two hours and haven't seen 22 points a single time yet.

- It's easy (maybe has something to do with the above). I steamrolled through the game, now with an identical party in the Archives I have a much harder time. Hitting enemies is more difficult, and they hit you more often. In the Abandonia version, on level 5, I slapped Savant Guards and Gorns left and right. Now I have to be much more careful.

- Spells never backfire. The only thing that happened in the Abandonia version was fizzling, but spells never backfired (I didn't even know they could). Now in the Archives version, spells have backfired a number of times.

I think I'll keep playing the Archives version as it seems to be more consistently challenging (Wiz7 is supposed to be hard for a new party, right?)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #287
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Wow, that ISO version sounds like a very easy one. I never played it, so I always thought Wizardry VII is as it is with the Archives version. I had also many years ago Wizardry VII bought in a box on more than one floppy (don't remember now how many), it was pretty much the same as the Archives version. Lost it later, hence why I bought The Ultimate Wizardry Archives after that.

Are you sure you played both versions on the same difficulty? Easy and Hard play quite a difference as far as I know, you can set it in the options.
If it was on the same difficulty I wonder what kind of version that ISO might be. Pretty interesting.
Though rolling highs at 20 and more IS supposed to happen very rarely no matter the difficulty, so there might be something wrong with it.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #288
Sacred_Path
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Are you sure you played both versions on the same difficulty? Easy and Hard play quite a difference as far as I know, you can set it in the options.
If it was on the same difficulty I wonder what kind of version that ISO might be. Pretty interesting.
The difficulty was the first thing I checked when I noticed I hit/ penetrate very rarely, but it's set to "normal" in both cases. BTW both versions show version number 1.20, so they're both patched.

Quote:
Though rolling highs at 20 and more IS supposed to happen very rarely no matter the difficulty, so there might be something wrong with it.
Yeah, it definitely seems to happen too often with the .iso. The thing is it's a fresh install, not an archive, otherwise I would have said they probably applied the "algorithm fix" from the Cosmic Forge Editor that allows you to roll high scores more often.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #289
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
The thing is it's a fresh install, not an archive, otherwise I would have said they probably applied the "algorithm fix" from the Cosmic Forge Editor that allows you to roll high scores more often.
That doesn't mean much, you can take the game files, modify the files and then put them into an ISO.
Just downloaded the archive from Abandonia and checked the ISO, it seems there are some installation files, together with text file manual, included in the ISO and the game itself is in a sub-folder, so it might be some, tampered with, version after all.
I know for a fact of a hacked "1M edition" version of Neverwinter Nights that includes all Premium Modules, during special installation, being playable without any internet connection (they did require it originally), as an example, so things like that can be done.

Last edited by Scatty; 04-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #290
Sacred_Path
Forum hobbit

Got a question about level scaling in this game,

does level scaling only apply to random encounters, or to set encounters (like the Rattkin ambush outside of New City) as well? I'm asking because I grinded my way up to level 7 in New City, then tried to go to Munkharama (in search of some better weapons!!), but I kept running into encounters with like 15 "floaters" who roasted my party in two rounds. Did I shoot myself in the foot with leveling up too early, with no good equipment? I'm still using my starting equipment, only for the priest I got a shiny morning star from the shop.