Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #481
Omnipotent Deity

Has anyone else encountered the problem with this game where it will repeatedly minimize itself?? Its done this since i downloaded it about a week ago...although there was a brief period in there where it was stable, but then i had to reboot the comp eventually and it started this minimizing crap again. Its not a very bad problem, just frustrating as hell, as sometime it will refuse to unminimize for a good 7 or 8 attempts at restoring it.

Any ideas?

Old 24-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #482
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

That's never happened to me. :blink:
But have you tried the following ways to maximize UFO again?
1) alt+tab to leave it, then alt+tab to enter it again
2) (windowsbutton)+shift+M (=restore format of all minimized windows)
Old 24-03-2005, 10:43 AM   #483
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Why not patch the game?

If that doesn't work then I have no idea. If you are running it in Windows 98 (like me) then try it in the MS-DOS prompt.

I have literally no experience of DOSBOX, so don't askl me about that.

However Another Guest might know.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 24-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #484
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I use D-Fend as a front end to Dosbox, it makes things so much easier:
http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm

In a few seconds you can change any setting without having to type any commands.

But I've have no clue as to whether Dosbox will be the solution to this problem. I've never had something like that happening to me :blink:
Old 24-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #485

jsut a question from a rookie...can you shut up the game completely including pc speaker?!

Old 24-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #486
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

PC Speaker? Wow! I just use my outer speakers and turn them down, but try changing the .bat files to turn sound off completely.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 24-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #487
TwoHedWlf

Send a message via AIM to TwoHedWlf Send a message via MSN to TwoHedWlf

Hmmm, lots of hits to kill the brain? Last time I played I had my last soldier surviving, badly injured, bleeding to death only 1-2 turns left until he'd die, managed to get up the elevator to the brain room and fire off an auto shot with a heavy plasma at the brain, only one hit knocked a section out and I won.

I don't see ammo as really being much of a problem with heavy plasmas. Other than near the beginning I don't come even close to running out and each clip holds 30 shots anyway. I don't think I've EVER used anywhere near that.
Old 24-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #488
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Hmm I dunno. It's quite easy to get carried away sometimes.

That's why I like Lasers
Old 24-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #489
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

The big part of ammo shortage has an ugly UFO bug(or maybe purpose) that when you shot at least one shot from your clip in the end of mission you automatically lose it.It dont matter if you fire 1 shot or 29 you will STILL lose that clip. :ranting:
Unlimited shots from lasers are simple,pretty,economical and ecological.I never used plasma weapons after first two plays of UFO
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 24-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #490
Omnipotent Deity

I've never heard of windows+shift+m before so i pressed it a bunch of times and the game seemed pretty stable today... then it crashed, LOL, but i had just saved so i hold no grudge. Is there a list of windows shortcut keys, i keep learning new ones...

As for only using lasers instead of plasma.....OH GOD! Lazers are so weeaak, and plasma ammo is free as far as i'm concerned, use 3 shots to kill an alien get 2 free clips, that's win win. I have designated preferred shooters tho, so i don't end up wasting full clips of ammo on everyone for each taking 1 shot...so far i haven't had any problems.

Here's something odd i realized today, the less you research, the more alien artifacts you'll recover after each fight and therefore the more points you'll earn. So if you don't use certain alien equipment, don't research them.

God i love this game.