Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-05-2005, 03:44 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Recently I have discovered a real gem in the bargain bin. The name is "Original War" and it looks like a blend of C&C, Stronghold and Commandos mixed together with an incredible story.

The game is very well done but tough. Hardcore strategy fans like me will love this game since it is not your standard "build as much tanks you can and ram the ennemy" type of game like Red Alert (and following). In this game, every bit of resource counts and it just happen that your men (and yourself) are part of that very scarce resource. All the scenarios I've played so far are excellent and varied, a trait that I quite love. Never yet in a scenario I was found thinking about what the general aim of the mission was and what I was supposed to do to achieve it.

If you like good Strategy games and RTS mixed together then don't let the cover of the box deceive you. This is a must.

I would rate it 80%.
Old 20-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
snowowl0909

Read about it and it seemed to have got very positive reactions in general,
just wondering, how hard are the missions when you say "very tough"? involves a lot fo replaying?
the personification of the units seem to be one of the big thing in the game, how does that actual play out in-game?
snowowl0909 is offline                         Send a private message to snowowl0909
Old 21-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Toxik
Game Wizzard

its cool
its like u hav 5 gyus to run whole base and so..
so u need to tame monkeys to do the dirty job and build ai controlled things
and another good thing is that the main resource just spawn randomly on the map so u cant just fortify urself in the base and u must send ur people out for crates
which makes ur precious guys very vulnerable to enemy snipers..
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 21-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
uk_john2005
Forum hobbit

I have this game and would say it is more a cross between commando's and Jagged Alliance. Because you are so relianton the few men in your command and each is required to have certain skills it has a roleplaying feel to it as well.

It has a very original story about going back in time, and if I was a game programmer i'd steal the idea and have a game about people going back in time to mine all the oil and transport it to a part of the world that in the future would be under the command of the country that sent the troops. this would be the basis of the fight, but being based on oil and given the situation in the world, I thing you'd get a lot more publicity!

I would rate this game at least 80%, if not 85%. t is hard like commando's was hard. Only because you cannot just build a barracks and get more men as in a standard rts. You get the men you're given and you have to use/protect them them the best you can.

The AI is also a mean son of a .... too, which is also brilliant!
uk_john2005 is offline                         Send a private message to uk_john2005
Old 26-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
JimmyJ
Game Wizzard

I haven't seen this game in any stores or bargain bins, is it available online?
JimmyJ is offline                         Send a private message to JimmyJ