Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

I have a question for you then:
Do you enjoy your pointless life?
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 14-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
carpetsmoker
Forum hobbit

Generally speaking: yes.

Note that I don't act according to what I just said, I'm doing m best to save the rainforest, care for the hungry, pollitically active ect.
In the end however, there really isn't any point in that......oh well...gotta do something, otherwise I'll get bored....
carpetsmoker is offline                         Send a private message to carpetsmoker
Old 14-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

So are you trying to find a purpose in that?
Or do you just not care that when you're dying you can look back on your life and say "hmm, that was kinda pointless."? :bleh:
Old 14-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
Himmler
Trollmaster General

"I don't need to "Get a life!" ...I'm a gamer, I have MANY lives"
my point in life is to boost the moral of some people. at least that's what i've been doing by now...i'm like a guide to them and that makes me pretty much happy.
the real poin in life is to enjoy suffering...life is a big pain in the behind...but when you realise it's over you'd wish you had another ...therefore torture=pleasure
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 14-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grinder @ Aug 14 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]248544[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, I guess if we don't look at the religious aspect, we can say that a goal in everyone's life should be to try and improve the world so their heirs can live a better life. Kind of an altruistic view, but that's what life is all about - cooperation. Think of the world as a sort of OpenSource community
[/b]
I think is not only about "leave a better world behind us", even because, like carpetsmoker said, the whole universe is going to dead and humanity is doing is "best" to damage the Earth.
Loving is something which make happy our life now.
As for example, when you fall in love with a girl, even before saying her that you love her and you not even think about receiving something from her, you just feel happy :wub: ! You feel better, stronger and living is great! :brain:
Think if you could be able to love in that way also your friends, parents, pets, strangers, trees, clouds, and so on... You would not have to think about leaving something to your heirs cause you will enjoy every single moment of your life.
Well, I have to admit that I'm not in that way and that humans are not perfect, but as i said, we have great potential

Something I can't understand is who reason like carpetsmoker (don't take me wrong, friend )
Why care for others hunger or politic if it's perfectly unuseful? :blink:
I can imagine many other ways (funnier) to waste the time! Those chemical machines invented tons of entertaning things...
Old 14-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #16
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

I agree with that, but at least his beliefs are firm.
Old 15-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #17
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Carpetsmoker's theory is basically just what i said, 'cept maybe a bit more straightforward. I reckon religion was invented by people who thought themselves so important that there had to be something more than just death when they died, something reserved for important people like them. It gave them hope and i guess just something to live for really. But in reality there is just us and this crazy random phenomenon called life. Whether there is actually any point to it is something that's up to you to decide.
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 15-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #18
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Aug 15 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]248636[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I reckon religion was invented by people who thought themselves so important that there had to be something more than just death when they died, something reserved for important people like them.
[/b]
Please, could you try to be less harsh in your comments? And for experience, I know that is better don't start talking about religion in this forum, or a flame-party will start in no time
You are free to say what you think and I'm happy you doing it, but you can be mere polite.
And only to let you know: I'm religious, but I don't feel more important than you
Old 15-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #19
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Sorry if my words sounded harsh, but i tried to put them in as polite a way as possible. I never said i thought people who followed religion thought they were better than everybody else, or if i did i didnt mean it. I was thinking more about when the religion was actually founded, years and years ago. I don't think people like kings and that liked the idea that when they were dead they wouldn't be able to rule their people, and they made religion so they could still rule when htey were dead. Perhaps I'm being a bit over the to; people need something to believe in. It gives them hope, and therefore a reason to keep going. Sorry if I offended anybody; I dont judge people by their religion just to let you know.
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 15-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #20
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Well, medieval catholics were pretty stuck up, and the whole colony and crusade thing did a lot to damage their reputation, especially outside of Europe, but there's no need to conclude from that that christians are evil. Or that thing you said.

As Quintopotere said, discussing religion here is not a good thing to do, so let's just leave it at that. What I wanted to reach with this topic was a general discussion about the point of life regardless of religion, and without atheists saying that there is no god and christians saying that there is one and you're all going to hell and muslims saying you're all going to hell anyway, so let me at least try to convert you infidels.

My point is, let's try and find a general solution to the question from a philosophical PoV, and just don't bother discussing the issue of religion too much.

BTW Blackhole, I don't feel more important than you, either. Well, not just you.
just kidding