Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Dmaner

I think it may be a bit more modern than those games, since I remember playing it on Windows 98. About the graphics, I remember that you didn't actually "walk" through the dungeon, seeing the walls and monsters, but you had an overhead view of it, and a small compass which you used to move around. I also remember the towns you could visit where red dots on a map of the land...
Dmaner is offline                         Send a private message to Dmaner
Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #12
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You said it was a local company, maybe you could tell us where "here" is?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Dmaner

Well, "here" is Buenos Aires, Argentina. The compilation's name was "250 Juegos Shareware", a green, black and yellow cd. But I don't think that is much of a clue.

EDIT: About the release date, another clue: the cd also brought the shareware versions of two games: Tyrian v1.0 and Sapiens.

Last edited by Dmaner; 07-12-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

was it more like a diablo clone? or a more classic and strategic rpg

like, if it was fast something action paced with rpg elements, something more "rpg", like baldur's gate maybe
Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
Dmaner

Nono, it wasn't at all like the diabñlo games. You didn't get a party (at least not in the shareware version) and you didn't get an animated character that you could move... you just "encountered" enemies and reacted by choosing what to do, by selecting on a menu (not real time, is what I mean).
Old 15-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Oh, it becomes interesting.

How it is looks then? I mean - what have you on screen? Static first person, like in, say, Bard's Tale? Or maybe overhead view with one static character, like Ultima? How battles going - Bard's Tale-like? "1. Attack, 2. Cast Spell, 3. Retreat" and so on?
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 19-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
Dmaner

The details are sketchy, but I remember that the view while exploring a dungeon was from the top (you could see the rooms of the maze you had explored all at once, the rest were dark). That game, Bard's Tale, looks quite similar to what I remember, at least the enemy encounters, so I guess it had that static first person you mention. The battles I don't remember much, but they definitely weren't real time and you at least had "Attack" and "Retreat" options. I believe it had much better graphics, since that one looks like a very old game, but it sure rings a bell. Do you know of any similar games released as shareware?

When exploring the dungeon, I think you moved by clicking on a NSEW compass. Travel between towns was done with a map. I remember that in the map there was a frontier you couldn't cross in the shareware version.

Also, I don't remember having a party at all, but maybe that was only because I played the shareware version.

Thanks for the interest!
Old 20-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
Herduk

I got an old CD with a bunch of old shareware games and one of them is similar to your description, but graphics is the old ASCII rogue-like style.

If i got a minute or two in the week, i'll post the name
Herduk is offline                         Send a private message to Herduk
Old 21-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
Herduk

Ok, i found the name: Wizard Lair, but as i told, it's an ascii rogue-like style game
Herduk is offline                         Send a private message to Herduk
Old 22-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
Dmaner

Heh, it's a nice game. But I remember mine had some graphics at least Thanks for trying!