Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Bought that thing with my PC half a year ago and still cannot figure out why the trouble occur.

Basically, when I attach the mouse through a supplied USB-PS/2 connector and start the computer, the optic sensor flashes once or twice but it does not "activate". In other words, the mouse does not work.

Odd thing is, that when I try to use USB port instead, the computer detects it, installs the drivers... and in about 5 seconds some BSOD variant flashes on the screen for a brief second, followed by an immediate reset.

Now the weirdest part. If I start the computer with a regular non-optical PS/2 mouse attached, wait until it loads the XP logon screen and then unplug that mouse and plug in the optical one, the thing actually works without any problems.

Now, even though this problem is _sort_ of solved that way, the need to constantly switch the mice when I am turning the computer on and off simply drives me nuts.

Now, what might be the cause and what is the solution for it?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

LINK

Try this link for BSoD, Reup supplied me with it when I had a problem with BSoD.
Old 28-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

Try getting another mouse and see if the problem goes away. It's not worth to go through so much trouble over something as cheap as a mouse.
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 29-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, I'll try to get this BSOD and not down what it says - if I am fast enough.

However, this is not just any optic mouse. 5-button 2-roller thing that costed me about three times as a normal one.

The original mouse has been exchanged for another one as soon as the problems surfaced - no change.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

Could you return it to shop, so that they return you your money?
Old 25-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sorry for reviving, but I still have not managed to get rid of these issues, and they seem to be even more serious.

A friend of mine has asked me to backup the data from his cellphone. According to the manual, the OS should read the phone as an external HDD. Guess what? It did detect the phone, indeed, but immediately after that jumped up with an error message implying that "device does not function correctly". What a complete BS.

After disabling the reset on critical errors function of Windows, I found out that the BSOD popping up after connecting the mouse held the following description of the critical error:
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I have no *MEEP*ing clue to what this means, except that IRQ means interrupt - but I cannot figure out how can it relate to the issue.

-- Reed Richards