Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: what do you think about C2H5OH?
I don't care! 5 14.71%
I don't care 'coz it hasn't been discovered in my country yet. 3 8.82%
H5 what? 10 29.41%
I stopped drinking alcohol! 1 2.94%
I stopped drinking anything! 0 0%
I am shivering 'coz I don't know what to do! 0 0%
I care a bit but the scientists will take care 'bout it ... 1 2.94%
yes, I admit I like it. 12 35.29%
other... 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #31
iepeulas

Yay E85!!! :Brain:

Hmmm, I'm not allowed to consume ethanol and drive, yet they want my car to drink 170 proof and drive....

I like to consume alcohol, its tasty Just don't over do it, and don't drink if you plan on drivin or operating heave machinery.
iepeulas is offline                         Send a private message to iepeulas
Old 20-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #32
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yeah, or going back to school. The same thing goes for smoking weed.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 20-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #33
Himmler
Trollmaster General

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Feb 20 2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah, or going back to school. The same thing goes for smoking weed.
well i drink at school...it's 6 feet away ..right next to my school..i got time to drink a beer in a break :bleh:
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 21-02-2006, 05:02 AM   #34
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Aristharus@Feb 20 2006, 02:06 AM
I doubt they'd add methanol in it. That's a bit too toxic even in small amounts. They want to make people who drink it sick, not dead or blind, as probably would happen in the case of methanol.
They do, and that's the point. If it's consumable, it's taxed and just adding a few things to make someone "a bit sick" defeats the purpose. Ethanol is denatured for use in things such as rubbing alcohol, alcohol-based sanitizers, many aerosol sprays, etc. Look up "denatured ethanol" and you'll see that methanol is a pretty common additive in the process.

It's a bit harsh, and a little off-track, but if you're a Darwinism bulls-eye if you attempt to drink a denatured ethanol rubbing alcohol product in a misguided attempt to get drunk.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 21-02-2006, 05:12 AM   #35
Aristharus
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to Aristharus

Quote:
Originally posted by plix+Feb 21 2006, 08:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plix @ Feb 21 2006, 08:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Aristharus@Feb 20 2006, 02:06 AM
I doubt they'd add methanol in it. That's a bit too toxic even in small amounts. They want to make people who drink it sick, not dead or blind, as probably would happen in the case of methanol.
They do, and that's the point. If it's consumable, it's taxed and just adding a few things to make someone "a bit sick" defeats the purpose. Ethanol is denatured for use in things such as rubbing alcohol, alcohol-based sanitizers, many aerosol sprays, etc. Look up "denatured ethanol" and you'll see that methanol is a pretty common additive in the process.

It's a bit harsh, and a little off-track, but if you're a Darwinism bulls-eye if you attempt to drink a denatured ethanol rubbing alcohol product in a misguided attempt to get drunk. [/b][/quote]
I do know the point of denaturated alcohol, but I myself hadn't heard of them putting methanol in it, though. Of course it may vary from county to country, I suppose. Maybe they don't do it here in Finland, or something.

But still, if they do, anywhere, it has to be a pretty small amount, as only the methanol's vapours are extremely toxic and can make one go blind or something. That's of course the most extreme case, I don't say accidentally smelling an alcohol based cleaning product would make you lose your sight, but surely there is be some smaller damage first.

But I do believe you. I'm at work now, and I'm too busy/lazy/etc. to look it up right now.
Old 21-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #36
a1s
Hero Gamer

just ask Wiki (now you will have to decide if you believe what bored people who get no compenstaion write)
Quote:
There are diverse industrial uses for ethanol, and therefore literally hundreds of recipes for denaturing ethanol. Typical additives are methanol, isopropanol, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, denatonium, and even aviation gasoline.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s