Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #221
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkingGrue View Post
I've tried searching the Exult site for the info, but couldn't find it (maybe my search-fu is rusty), so I'll ask here. What, if any, changes were made to Exult that alter the story, dialogue or quests over the original U7?
None that I could find. But they should have a list of all changes in the game over there. I recall seeing one, at one time.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 18-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #222
Ranthalion75
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Skype™ to Ranthalion75

This is one of my all-time favorites. I completed this one in 10 days I believe. It was the only game I played until it was finished. :-)
Ranthalion75 is offline                         Send a private message to Ranthalion75
Old 24-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #223
RocknRolla1-2
Forum hobbit

Are there any modern-day games with good stories like this series? Ultima 7, simply the best. I remember that when this game came out it had it's funny bugs. For example you could pull the roofs off of houses lol! There is also a treasure trove type room in trinsic? If you know where to find it. (should I tell where?)
RocknRolla1-2 is offline                         Send a private message to RocknRolla1-2
Old 24-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #224
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

I remember one of the more prominent bugs (which may even be discussed somewhere in this thread, although I'm not going through all 23 pages to find out) was a disappearing dead body. Said corpse was rather important in advancing the main plot, too.
Old 18-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #225
Suicide Boy

I really want to get into this game, but the fact that the party (and the Avatar himself, IIRC) is controlled by the computer in combat always puts me off. Sure, you can pick up damn near anything, cast a bunch of spells, explore the huge world, upgrade your gear, and mix potions (I think), but in my view, adequate combat control that makes you feel like you're an active participant is a crucial part of the RPG gaming experience.

Coupled with the fact that you can't even control character development (i.e., stats and skills) in this game, I still can't summon up the will to play it, even though people say it's amazing. I missed it back in the 1990s; when I first tried it a year or so ago, I thought it was totally awesome....

Until the first combat, that is. I was appalled. I turned the game off after that and haven't been back to it since.

Wasteland, Fallout, Morrowind, X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Jagged Alliance (i.e., turn-based micromanagement [except for Morrowind] and plenty of character customization) are all games I love. Ultima VII is just the complete opposite of all of that, featuring uncontrollable real-time action with no real say in character development.

Last edited by Suicide Boy; 18-10-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Suicide Boy is offline                         Send a private message to Suicide Boy
Old 19-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #226
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Boy View Post
I really want to get into this game, but the fact that the party (and the Avatar himself, IIRC) is controlled by the computer in combat always puts me off. Sure, you can pick up damn near anything, cast a bunch of spells, explore the huge world, upgrade your gear, and mix potions (I think), but in my view, adequate combat control that makes you feel like you're an active participant is a crucial part of the RPG gaming experience.
Exactly what I thought when I first reviewed the title. It was Garriott, stubborn as ever, who wanted this in. He said it made playing "easier." Personally, I think that level of detailed control was removed because the combat AI was so bad. It would have been extremely easy to beat it if you controlled everybody.

Arcanum tried the same thing, and it worked--surprise!--just about as well.

Quote:
Coupled with the fact that you can't even control character development (i.e., stats and skills) in this game,
Huh? You control development whenever you level up, if I recall correctly. There were never many stats to choose from in the game, but you can choose one of three to increase. Unless I've forgotten how one went, which is always possible.

Last edited by Borodin; 22-10-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 20-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #227
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
Exactly what I thought when I first reviewed the title. It was Garriott, stubborn as ever, who wanted this in. He said it made playing "easier." Personally, I think that level of control was removed it was because the combat AI was so bad. It would have been extremely easy to beat it if you controlled everybody.
I don't think it had as much to do with the AI as it did with the shift from turn-based to real-time play. Making your party members computer-controlled does make gameplay easier when everything is happening in real time. Personally, going real-time took a lot of enjoyment out of the game for me. Ultima VI is still my favorite of the series, mainly for that very reason.
Old 22-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #228
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Pie Jones View Post
I don't think it had as much to do with the AI as it did with the shift from turn-based to real-time play. Making your party members computer-controlled does make gameplay easier when everything is happening in real time. Personally, going real-time took a lot of enjoyment out of the game for me. Ultima VI is still my favorite of the series, mainly for that very reason.
I think we're speaking past one another, here. What Garriott did was implement realtime without precise commands, which is bad even if you can pause matters. I have absolutely no problem with a realtime-and-pause combat scheme; it works incredibly well in such titles as the BG series and PS:T. Turn-based, as in Fallout 1 and 2, works well, too. Garriott's implementation was at fault.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #229
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I have never really liked Ultima, but then again I have never played 7. I am going to give it a go to see if it's as good as people say.

Hopefully it all goes well. :thumbs:
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 22-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #230
score100

I really like this game so far, but I oculdn't find a really good guide to the whole game yet. The manual is like 90% background information, but hardly anything about how the game works!

There's just way too much what I'd call "hidden data". I have no idea for example which armor is the best for my character, which weapon does more damage than others etc...its merely guessing.

"Huh? You control development whenever you level up, if I recall correctly. There were never many stats to choose from in the game, but you can choose one of three to increase. Unless I've forgotten how one went, which is always possible."

Apart from that there's nowhere shown that you get exp at all, you also won't hear anything about you're character going a level up. Haven't seen anything for stats increasing yet.

Or is this all because I'm playing in Exult??