Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
mouse31e
Games Master

I'm starting to become concerned about how quickly games become classic games or are released in Budget ranges!

I, being a sports game fan, have spent most of the year wondering whether to buy Madden 2004. When I finally did it was in the EA Classics range. Now I don't mind cos I got it for less but it seems ridiculous that a game with the year 2004 in it's title can be released as a classic game before that year is even over! :blink:

There are numerous examples of this sort of thing. Why? How can a game that has only been on the shelves a few months be considered classic? :crazy:
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 11-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse31e@Dec 11 2004, 04:45 PM
I'm starting to become concerned about how quickly games become classic games or are released in Budget ranges!

I, being a sports game fan, have spent most of the year wondering whether to buy Madden 2004. When I finally did it was in the EA Classics range. Now I don't mind cos I got it for less but it seems ridiculous that a game with the year 2004 in it's title can be released as a classic game before that year is even over! :blink:

There are numerous examples of this sort of thing. Why? How can a game that has only been on the shelves a few months be considered classic? :crazy:
maybe by calssic they mean that it was bought x times <_<
Old 11-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

No it's a sales method. They aren't selling very many copies, so they label it as classic, so people now think "oh it's a classic, it's a must have". But of course this does not work.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 11-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
FreeFreddy

Especially if the game isn't that well made like many today...

Old 11-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Also at first they set up a high price, but if they are unable to sell enough copies they have to lower the price somehow. It looks better if you say it's a classic - so you get a discout. I mean saying - it's half prise because we wanna get rid off it isn't the best known selling technique.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 12-12-2004, 01:36 AM   #6
Classic Pig

Ok so the question is this - why release the rubbish they often do in the first place? :blink:

But having seen the previous posts maybe it is time for them to take them from full price to abandoned straight away :Brain: ... (we can but dream!)
Old 12-12-2004, 05:55 AM   #7
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Because when releasing a game you can't be sure how well it will do. If they think it has a chance of getting a good amount of sales they will release it.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 12-12-2004, 09:13 AM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I think the major companies have contracts with smaller ones and they have to produce a certain number of games... It's like that with movies (mostly b-rated pictures).
The real question is - why are they making games at all! Are they just trying to make a buck or are they trying to give quality entertainment to the masses (like Sid Meier).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 12-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #9
FreeFreddy

Today more to make money. Exceptions are, like usually, available.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
bohor
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Dec 12 2004, 09:13 AM
....(like Sid Meier).
...and Peter Molyneux, Brian Fargo...
we cannot forget them!!! :ranting:
bohor is offline                         Send a private message to bohor