Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
i_leeder

Question Games checklist

Hi all,

Some time ago, I realised I was beginning to forget the earliest games I played as a child. This makes me sad! So I had a dream of compiling a list of games I had played. I could make notes against each game, either a reminder of which game it was, or specific memories of playing it, when/where I played it, etc.

This never happened.

Then I realised the internet is a big thing, maybe someone has made a tool to do this. However I haven't found one.

Then I realised, the best people to know about lists of old games, are the people who compile lists of old games! And so here I am.

So. Does anyone know of tool (probably online) that would allow me to create an account and "check" off games I had played? Possibly even making notes (memories) against them.

If not, does anyone have idea how such a thing could be incorporated into a site like Abandonia? I figure you've already got the user accounts, and a database of games. I just want to be able to "link" games to my account, maybe export them as CSV or HTML, same as a Winamp playlist

Thanks,
i_leeder
i_leeder is offline                         Send a private message to i_leeder
Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There's already a site that does this, it's called Backloggery. A similar functionality might make it to the next version of Abandonia, but there is precious little chance it can be implemented at all - much less work properly - with the current trainwreck of a CMS we have.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
i_leeder

Interesting site. Pretty good, but I really wanted it to be able to link to a database of games, not just me entering free-text. It would be nice to be able to see screenshots and descriptions (such as here). I might have to search them here, then add them to my profile on Backlogger with a hyperlink.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
i_leeder

After getting the name to one site, I've been able to use it find other similar sites:
Playfire - Looks to be too new, I want to be able to add old-school games.
MyVideoGameList - Same problem.
RFGeneration - Almost what I want. Has a database of games (same as here), allows me to add them to my account, but that tool is more focused on managing your collection, whether you have the manuals, who is buying/selling, etc, rather than about actually playing them.

I do like the Backloggery concept of unfinished, completed, mastered, achievements, etc. I just wish the games were pre-defined. I need the guys behind Backloggery and Abandonia to join forces That's my ideal tool.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

You can create a list on mobygames.com by rating them.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

More precisely: MobyGames allows registered users to create several "have lists" (personal or public, including notes & item condition), a "want list". This database is multi-platform (while Abandonia is PC-only) and also lists compilations/special editions (focusing on collectors).

Rating & reviewing is another story.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
i_leeder

Thanks, I'll check out MobyGames. And true, I am after multi-platform. Played a lot of C64 back in the day...