Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #21
Danny252
I have a custom title!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Playbahnosh @ Jun 21 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]238608[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh, and don't forget to watch this INDUSTRIAL SAFETY VIDEO about the hazards of your workplace k:
[/b]
Who needs to know German. In the end, we all know Klaus is a bumbling buffon who dies, and kills 2 (?) workmates in the process, removes another's hands, and impales 2 more.
Old 24-06-2006, 05:47 AM   #22
rlbell
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny252 @ Jun 23 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]239221[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Playbahnosh @ Jun 21 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]238608[/snapback]
Quote:
Oh, and don't forget to watch this INDUSTRIAL SAFETY VIDEO about the hazards of your workplace k:
[/b]
Who needs to know German. In the end, we all know Klaus is a bumbling buffon who dies, and kills 2 (?) workmates in the process, removes another's hands, and impales 2 more.
[/b][/quote]

For those of you who have not had forklift training, Klaus' mistakes are failing to watch where he is going, not beeping his horn at intersections, failing to look for loose objects before lifting, failing to secure the load, and driving with his forks too high above the floor. The rule of thumb is to only lift the load anough to keep it from scraping along the floor.

The would-be mechanic that loses his hands is the hapless architect of his own misfortune. He should have put the key in his pocket. Klaus should not have lifted the man on the skid, but the fellow unwise to have asked to be lifted in that fashion.

The jobsite is also implicable in the various tragedies. The layout of the faciity does not do enough to seperate workers and forklifts. I saw no stop signs. Not only were there no designated walkways, but too much work was done in traffic areas.

I am now in Calgary and got off the first application. It would have been more, but I got lost. I showed up and filled out the application and wrote the aptitute test. One of the numerical questions gave me pause, as 0.188 is only approximately 3/16. I was vaguely disappointed that nobody really talked to me while I was there, but there is still hope for a follow up.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 28-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #23
rlbell
Game freak

So my brother tells me that he has a friend at National Fast Freight, a freight handling company that works in supply chain management. The company groups shipments into large trucks for economies of scale and only ships single orders in single trucks for the minimum possible distance.

It turns out that his friend actually runs their Calgary operations, and may be the president of the company. So I was not interviewed, they did not check my references, and I did not have to apply. I showed up, filled out the new employee paperwork, and punched myself in. My first shift ran for a little over ten and a half hours, as they were glad to have the newbie, the very effective newbie, stick around longer than eight hours. I was invited to stay until midnight, but I was getting tired and left after the paperwork for the current trailer was completed. It was a good call, as I now realise that I had made a minor clerical error, so I must have been more tired than I realised.

I had a loose tongued moment when one of my coworkers commented on how quickly I had mastered the paperwork. Without thinking, the phrase that I was afraid of saying rolled off my tongue--"Because I'm not an idiot.", as it could be taken as a sign of extreme arrogance. I apologised, as the statement could be taken to imply that anyone who did not master the paperwork during their first shift was an idiot, but my coworker filled the silence with a story of a new hire that was an idiot who was an idiot and caused some skids to be delivered to the wrong place and forcing the company to send a truck to fetch it. So I guess my comment was not taken badly.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell