Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-01-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I was playing with my IE security options because I wanted to see the java "forum rules" thing... While I still fail to be able to see it, I noticed something very interesting.

I disabled all the unauthentified scripts on my IE... And it became lightning fast! First noticable change; I have no ads on Abadonnia at all! This include this board.

Perhaps I've just hit the nail on something which I should have played with before...

Edit: after further tests is seems that it's the "Active Script" option which seems to take care of said scripts... Unfortunatly I seem to need that option to connect to my hotmail account... But it's still interesting to know.

Seems like I'll get ads back on my browser... Not that I disliked them or something. :P
Old 23-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

Actually, we don't want you to loose the ads. Since we can pay our hosting with it.

Did you guys know that , though we increased from 15k visitors to 65k (record) visitors a day. The revenue of people clicking on the ads is almost the same?

besides that issue, I like a lightning fast IE so keep us posted, just keep the ads

Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 23-01-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Maikel@Jan 23 2005, 09:20 AM
Actually, we don't want you to loose the ads. Since we can pay our hosting with it.

Did you guys know that , though we increased from 15k visitors to 65k (record) visitors a day. The revenue of people clicking on the ads is almost the same?

besides that issue, I like a lightning fast IE so keep us posted, just keep the ads
I think part of that is that the ads are always the same. I've seen most of them now.

Does it select them based on the keywords in the meta tags or does it scan the page somehow before selecting appropriate ads? Is it possible to expand the range of ads so that those who are here a lot would see more original ads?

Anyway, that's kind of

With the IE thing. I was using IE right up until Service Pack 2 made "security improvements" to it. I had exactly the same problem. It ran better if you disabled the active scripting thing, but then you get loads of sites that won't work. That was what drove me to change onto firefox. I quite liked IE up until that point!
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 23-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

Well, you don't have to see the ads, just click them twice a day and we'll survive

off-topic, sorry eagle
Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 23-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
xoopx
Hero Gamer

i have referrers turned off in firefox (least i think i do, i cant remember) wouldnt that stop the clicked ads being paid?

edit; nope turns out i havent turned it off. so i wont. it breaks a lot of sites with downloads.. they think you're leeching!
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 23-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The reason why my IE was lightning fast (especially on this board) is because it did not have to run all those scripts. The shoutbox is one such scripts, and I extremely often have performance issues with this board because of it. Sometimes I even have to wait around 20 seconds for nothing because of it and I end up hitting the stop button, displaying all the page fine but without the shoutbox...

As for ads, I know that's what is paying the site up but I guess you already know my opinion about it...

But I'll keep Active Scripting on anyways... Need to access Hotmail regularly...
Old 25-01-2005, 02:07 AM   #7
Caged
Game Wizzard

more interesting and worthwhile ads and trust me, the mice will click, but one also has to keep in mind that many are still under the impression, and rightfully so, that adware, spyware, and malware will fill your computer if you click any ads.

Now it is well known that the ads abandonia runs are clean and useful, but visitors may not be aware of that fact. So hwo about a nice big notice that points out that wonderful fact? Bet you'll see the hits go up, LOL
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 25-01-2005, 06:34 AM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Now it is well known that the ads abandonia runs are clean and useful,
No ad can be clean and usefull. That's completely going against the very definition of ads...
Old 25-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #9
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 25 2005, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Now it is well known that the ads abandonia runs are clean and useful,
No ad can be clean and usefull. That's completely going against the very definition of ads...
i think he means they arent as incredibly annoying and useless as pop-ups for x-10 cameras, or flashing, shaking CONGRABULATIONS!! YOU WONS 40 DOLLAR that give you an epileptic fit
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 25-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Maikel@Jan 23 2005, 04:20 AM

I think that only regulars are clicking them.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue