Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
methuselah

Default ABANDONIA NOT "cURL" FRIENDLY

I recently discovered that "Abandonia" no longer allows segmented, session-to-session downloads, at least as far as "cURL" (my preferred download manager) is concerned. In the past, I was able to copy the download link location, paste it into the "cURL" command-line, and download for a pre-determined
interval, preserving each segment session-to-session. No longer! Now the "Abandonia" server tells me that I must "revalidate" for each session, and byte-range downloads are not supported. It is now "download all or nothing".

This new policy effectively "shuts the door" on me, and other dial-up users, who lack the download speed necessary for large downloads. Please bring back the "old way" of doing things and make it again possible for dial-up users to take downloads in smaller "chunks". Making "Abandonia" "cURL-friendly" could also further encourage the open-source-software community.

By the way, I discovered "cURL" when I began using Mandriva Linux. A Windows version is also available.

methuselah is offline                         Send a private message to methuselah
Old 27-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Encourage the open-source-software community?
Old 28-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Broadband is cheap.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 28-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by methuselah View Post
I recently discovered that "Abandonia" no longer allows segmented, session-to-session downloads, at least as far as "cURL" (my preferred download manager) is concerned. In the past, I was able to copy the download link location, paste it into the "cURL" command-line, and download for a pre-determined
interval, preserving each segment session-to-session. No longer! Now the "Abandonia" server tells me that I must "revalidate" for each session, and byte-range downloads are not supported. It is now "download all or nothing".

This new policy effectively "shuts the door" on me, and other dial-up users, who lack the download speed necessary for large downloads. Please bring back the "old way" of doing things and make it again possible for dial-up users to take downloads in smaller "chunks". Making "Abandonia" "cURL-friendly" could also further encourage the open-source-software community.

By the way, I discovered "cURL" when I began using Mandriva Linux. A Windows version is also available.

I believe Studentis have started patching up security problems among other things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're effectively saying is that the download URL becomes invalid after a while, right? I believe this was done to avoid other sites from directly linking to our downloads and stealing our bandwidth. If a link does not change, this is easy to do.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 28-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Mmmbut . I used to have a download manager that did something similar. You could pause downloads and resume them later. Speed optimiser, it was called. I got rid of it because i have broadband at work and didn't need it, and it kept opening when i didn't want it to. But i'm sure you can toggle that in options.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 28-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

As far as I understand, the download system was changed in recent weeks - exactly for the reason of stopping bandwidth thief sites.

Thanks for notifying us of the problem.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

You can add new URLs in your download manager.
Old 28-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
grumps
Forum hobbit

unless this has been fixed in the last few days, then adding a new link to download manager does not work. downloads have been labelled as non-resumable by my download manager. tried entering a new url after having some downloads stop, and it did not work. had to start dowload over again.
grumps is offline                         Send a private message to grumps
Old 29-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
methuselah

To further explain the merits of "cURL"; it not only allows downloads to be resumed (if supported by the server), but also allows session-to-session resumption of downloads, that is, one segment one day, another segment another day, etc. Most GUI download managers (I have one installed), do not allow session-to-session downloading.

Changes at "Abandonia" have thwarted the usage of "cURL". As far as I could see, the former way of doing things at "Abandonia" was adequate to stop bandwidth thieves. A string in the download link changed every time the download page was accessed, making it necessary to paste the changed download link into the "cURL" command-line every session. But "cURL" still worked -- download resumption was possible.

Now, "cURL" is useless. As with other GUI download managers, it is "download all or nothing." I think the "new way" of doing things at "Abandonia" is a definite regression.

And as far as broadband being "cheap", dial-up is even cheaper. How about 99 USD per year. What a deal! And I do not think it is smart marketing to try to force people to buy broadband access to make full use of a website.

methuselah is offline                         Send a private message to methuselah
Old 29-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by methuselah View Post
To further explain the merits of "cURL"; it not only allows downloads to be resumed (if supported by the server), but also allows session-to-session resumption of downloads, that is, one segment one day, another segment another day, etc. Most GUI download managers (I have one installed), do not allow session-to-session downloading.

Changes at "Abandonia" have thwarted the usage of "cURL". As far as I could see, the former way of doing things at "Abandonia" was adequate to stop bandwidth thieves. A string in the download link changed every time the download page was accessed, making it necessary to paste the changed download link into the "cURL" command-line every session. But "cURL" still worked -- download resumption was possible.

Now, "cURL" is useless. As with other GUI download managers, it is "download all or nothing." I think the "new way" of doing things at "Abandonia" is a definite regression.

And as far as broadband being "cheap", dial-up is even cheaper. How about 99 USD per year. What a deal! And I do not think it is smart marketing to try to force people to buy broadband access to make full use of a website.

I don't think it's smart to use dial-up in this day and age, but maybe that's just me.

Unless you tell me good reasons why should we make a concession and not you, I'll treat this as a joke.

Since dial-up users are so limited they:

-Block ads and never view them
-Never click on ads because it takes too much to load
-Rarely visit forums and usually don't contribute to the site

First: we're trying to survive, not to do marketing schemes. We're only promoting AB for the community and the old games.

Second: There are guys who make money using our bandwidth, and basically you want us to let them stealing from you and from AB, just so that you have a session-to-session download.