Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #151
xcom freak
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by KillerBee256@Feb 15 2005, 11:44 PM
I came to learn of this game from the web comic sluggy freelance, it's great but I have a problem the game crashes every time I'm about to start a mission, I have Win98
I had that problem too on XP but i really forgot how i fixed it
sorry no help here!!!
xcom freak is offline                         Send a private message to xcom freak
Old 16-02-2005, 02:48 AM   #152
jareth_chong

You guys should know that not everyone would enjoy X-COM. I have just posted a message on the Jagged Alliance forum:

Quote:
Originally posted by jareth_chong@Feb 15 2005, 03:50 AM
I have just started playing Jagged Alliance. I had missed out the Jagged Alliance series because of X-COM, a game I truly despise. Some ten years ago, when people and reviews described Jagged Alliance as a "game that is like X-COM", I immediately decided that I was not going to try Jagged Alliance.

I bought X-COM when it first came to the US because of all the rave reviews and praises. I played it, and I really really hated it. Its gameplay involved too much number crunching, and its unintuitive interface was overcrowded with too many buttons. I played it for a couple days and gave up on it.

A few years later, after I had upgraded my computer, I tried playing X-COM again. There was still too much micromanagement of statistics and numbers. The X-COM soldiers lacked any sort of personality or individuality--they are just vanilla plain. In fact, the whole game just does not have any unique "personality" or "flavor". X-COM was really just a "spreadsheet" gameplay. I still did not like the game at all.

Then, a few more years later again, at the turn of the millenium, I bought another new computer and gave X-COM the third and one last chance. I ended up hating it even more because its graphics and sound was already badly outdated by then, plus I had never liked its gameplay in the first place.

I had known Jagged Alliance, like X-COM, also had fund management, map overviews, personnel management, and many seemingly similar elements. I had always imagined the two games offered very much the same sort of gameplay. So I had never bothered giving Jagged Alliance a try.

A couple weeks ago, I was looking online for the old classic Ultima (VI-VII) and Quest for Glory series to download when I came across Jagged Alliance and Deadly Games. The games were free, so I decided to give them a try. Wow! Jagged Alliance is so not like X-COM at all. I really enjoy Jagged Alliance although it is over ten years old.

Unfortunately, the free "abandonware" versions of Jagged Alliance and Deadly Games do not have speech. So I ended up buying used copies of Jagged Alliance and Deadly Games because I wanted to play the games with full sound and voiceovers. I am going to start playing Jagged Alliance 2 after I am done with the first two games.

Now that I know X-COM had made me missed out Jagged Alliance for ten years, I hated X-COM even more. X-COM was truly a burden for Jagged Alliance. I have read that many X-COM fans have never tried Jagged Alliance because the two games came out at around the same time, and Jagged Alliance was generally regarded as a X-COM "clone". X-COM had overshadowed Jagged Alliance. On the other hand, people who hated X-COM (like myself) would have never tried Jagged Alliance because, well, if we already hated X-COM, why would we even bother with some game that was "just like X-COM"?

Anyway, that is just what I have to say on this matter.
i am myself, i am me...
but not for long, my flesh are rotten...
and all i remember will be forgotten
jareth_chong is offline                         Send a private message to jareth_chong
Old 16-02-2005, 03:17 AM   #153
TwoHedWlf

Send a message via AIM to TwoHedWlf Send a message via MSN to TwoHedWlf

Of course we realize there will be people that like X-com and the few dumbasses like that guy that don't.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #154
another_guest

"people who hated X-COM (like myself) would have never tried Jagged Alliance because, well, if we already hated X-COM, why would we even bother with some game that was "just like X-COM"?"

Sometimes, for things involving taste or opinion, it doesn't hurt to think for yourself :bye:

Old 16-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #155
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you don't like a game then just don't play it. I am personally completely against your opinion of the game and I do find Jagged Alliance to be like X-Com. The only real difference is the theme and you don't need to do research in Jagged Alliance.

As for the graphics I don't consider them outdated right now for X-Com. I like isometric graphic games and I never had a problem with graphics being "pixelated". In fact if I have a choice I often turn down auto-aliasing on my graphic card because I find it to "blurr" the graphics way too much. I like sharp graphics.
Old 16-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #156
>sKy<

To anyone, like me, who has problems beginning missions, download the f0dder patch from the link that Jman posted, and launch X-Com from the "geoscape.exe" icon. Works like a charm.
>sKy< is offline                         Send a private message to >sKy<
Old 18-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #157
Lancelot

in english? ok .-)

i played UFO a while an i noticed, that i cant transfer item from one base to another. i can klick the button "transfer", it shows me the cost, i accept and then iam on the first screen where i only can escape when i press "exit" (dont know the english word, exit, break up, something like this... the right button).

BUT then the games closed and all is away.

so i never can send units or items to other bases and now ich just found out, that the avenger takes elerium 115 as fuel and my storage of nearly 400 is down to 9 :-)

is there a patch to fix the problem with the transfer between bases?

Old 19-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #158
another_guest

That's plain weird :blink:
Are you sure there's enough space in the base you're transferring to? Not that the game hangs up if there isn't enough room, but I can't think of another reason.
Also, have you checked that the file transfer.dat (or transfers.dat) is NOT read-only? The game uses this file for transfers between bases, so it should be able to change that file.

Old 19-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #159
Lancelot

i ve found out, that when i play it in english all works... only the german version has this mistake. funny :-(
so ich play in english, when i ve samething to transfer...

Old 20-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #160
Rayearth
Lurker

Send a message via MSN to Rayearth

Hello I am new in this forum, abandonia is the best page of classic games i visited. thanks.

i research the blaster launcher is a powerfull weapon destroy all, i hate the ethereals and the crysalids. bye

i really bad in english sorry
- Before the Coruscating Apollyon
Rayearth is offline                         Send a private message to Rayearth