Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
kolikeos

it has been asked here more than a few times, but in none of the posts regarding this subject did i find a solution to my problem. i have downloaded (it seems that it is no longer available for download) 'ufo enemy unknown' but can't play it no matter what i do. i am running windows 98 (and that's about all i know about my comp). i tried running the windows versoin of the game (using both the sun icon and the alien icon) but all i get is a balck screen and a few background sounds. the dos version runs but so fast it is impossible to play. i tied running the dos version using dosbox (tried to run all the exe and bat files) but that only resulted in a black window with words on the title bar changing really fast. other people seem to have encounterd those problems before but i did not get any helpful info from thier posts. please help. thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I use win98se myself, and with that I don't need dosbox. I create a 'rescue boot disk' in windows, modify it to include mouse and sound drivers, then boot the computer with this disk, entering dos.

As for drivers, I use Mickey (free) for mouse and Sound Blaster 16 drivers for dos (I got the cds).

From there I would, in this case, run the game through Moslo.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #3

QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jul 1 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]240897[/snapback]
Quote:
I use win98se myself, and with that I don't need dosbox. I create a 'rescue boot disk' in windows, modify it to include mouse and sound drivers, then boot the computer with this disk, entering dos.

As for drivers, I use Mickey (free) for mouse and Sound Blaster 16 drivers for dos (I got the cds).

From there I would, in this case, run the game through Moslo.

Hope it helps.
[/b]
eh... hehe... no. i have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Thing is, dosbox is mainly for win XP machines, because xp is not based on dos. Win98 is.

To create a boot disk, go to 'control panel', then 'add/remove' programs'. There you can create a win98 boot disk. This disk will allow you to start the machine in dos.

Mickey is a mouse driver found at the Internet. It's free to download. Download it and place it, for easy access, in C: (that is, not in some folder) on your hard disk drive.

On the boot disk, there is a file named autoexec.bat. That and config.sys are the two files that allow you to taylor your dos. Anyway, you got to edit autoexec.bat (in windows or dos) and add the line (in this case) c:\mickey

Now autoexec.bat tells the machine to auto-execute (run when starting the computer) the file Mickey found at location c:

Moslo is a program that slows down your dos computer. It is easy to use. It is also free to download.

For sound, that depends on your sound card. But basically, the card's dos drivers (as opposed to windows drivers) have to be adressed to in the autoexec and config files.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #5

a bit complex for me... i didn't even succeed in making the boot disc, although this seems to be because of some bug...

Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
kolikeos

i have been toying with this game for a few days now and at one time the windows version did work, but that was due to some bug in my comp that also caused the resolution to drop to something around 10x12 (making it impossible to do anything else). i have no idea what was the cause of this, but the game did work then (including sound and everything).
Old 02-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
kolikeos

thanks for trying to help. i found how to make it work. (found my salution at xcomufo.com). for anyone else with the same problem, what i did was run dxdiag.exe (from the start menu use run) go to 'more help' click 'override' select 'override value' and type 60. now the widows version works fine