Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Tito
Alley Cat

Hi there. I'm always looking for new and interesting stuff to read, so I thougth I could open this thread to see what you guys have recently read. So the idea is to post the last book you have finished with a short comment on it (don't mind if it is subjetive or not). I know there is a bunch of readers over here, so don't dissapoint me! :bleh:
Anyway, lets start:

"The Vatican Cellar" (Les caves du Vatican) by André Gide. This book is quite a weird novel because it doesn't focus in plot development nor in action, but in the characters feelings, decisions and psychological reactions. Although it is well written I didn't quite enjoy it because in my opinion it has much of a raising and not an ending at all.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

I started working seven months ago and from then, I slowed down (nearly stopped) my reading rate due to the lack of spare time :wallbash:

At the moment I'm trying to finish "The Confessions" by Saint Augustine (is it spelled right?), which is very interesting, but only if you're into christian religion, elswhere is better find something else to read.

The last book i finished was "Heart of Darkness" by Conrad: that's absolutely worth to buy and keep forever among the masterpieces, cause it's written so well k: . Almost everyone could say you the same!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 AM   #3
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Heart Of Darkness is a brilliant, brilliant book!

"The horror, the horror..." gets me every time

I just finished Lady Chatterly's Lover by D. H. Lawrence and I absolutely loved it. It's one of the most beautiful pieces of writting I've ever read. It deals with ideals, love, sex and progress. The creepy thing is that even though it was written almost 100 years ago it is still very relevent today. I enjoyed it so much that I'm going to read Son's and Lovers next...
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I've just finished reading "War and Peace". It was a long read, but not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. It is an epic book and well worth a read. It places the stories of 'ordinary' people through their ups and downs, against the backdrop of the Napoleonic War. At times the book reads more like a (rather biased) historical account of the battles and strategies adopted by the sides.

Next up: Bleak House
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I just started to read Terry Pratchetts Wyrd. However, I seldom have time to read, so I probably have finished the book on summer.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stroggy @ Feb 12 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]278905[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Next up: Bleak House
[/b]
Ah, yes. Bleak House is fun - and I suppose it'll be of particular interest to a lawyer.:P

I last read Mundus et Infans, a 15th century(ish) play - not bad, but I've read better medieval plays. Unless you're into medieval drama I wouldn't really recommend it. If you want to give it a go, start with Mankind, Wisdom or The Castle of Perseverance (which is quite long, but a brilliant play). Whatever you do, though, don't start with Everyman. Everyman is not at all typical of medieval drama and will give you a wrong impression of what it's like; it's more fun than that - honest.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Himmler
Trollmaster General

Marin Preda - Cel mai iubit dintre pamanteni(the most beloved of all humans...or something like that :P) for school(final exams). it's a great book about the communist period here in romania.
and i also started reading Mircea Cartarescu - Nostalgia and Emil Cioran's "Pe culmile tacerii"(philosophic essays)
btw..i don't read much :P
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 12-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Luso
Game Wizzard

Smile

I already do not buy a book too much time! :wallbash:

drawn band like uncle scrooge :blink:

I go the bookstore, already come back :brain:
Luso is offline                         Send a private message to Luso
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. J. Raffles @ Feb 12 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]278950[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Whatever you do, though, don't start with Everyman. Everyman is not at all typical of medieval drama and will give you a wrong impression of what it's like; it's more fun than that - honest. [/b]
I had to read Elckerlijc (the play which either translated Everyman, or the play on which Everyman is based) last year and translate sections into modern Dutch, which is no easy task as 15th century Dutch is a mixture of Dutch, German and Latin.

As for Bleak House, I've always wanted to read Dickens, and Bleak House seemed like a book I could connect with. It's very easy to visualise the book as I live a block away from Gray's Inn and pretty much every other inn, Fleet street is a 15 minutes walk from my apartment and every little street in between has at least a few shops selling special gowns (wigs, too) and practitioners' books. Moreover, I live around the corner of the Charles Dickens Museum in Doughty lane which is also the only surviving London home of Dickens (from 1837 until 1839) (according to the website).

Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stroggy @ Feb 12 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]278972[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I had to read Elckerlijc (the play which either translated Everyman, or the play on which Everyman is based) last year and translate sections into modern Dutch, which is no easy task as 15th century Dutch is a mixture of Dutch, German and Latin.[/b]
Indeed. I tried to read another late medieval Dutch play earlier this term (Mariken van Nieumeghen, if that rings a bell) because apparently it differs quite a bit from the English version - even more so than Elckerlijc does from Everyman, and it would have been interesting for me because I was looking at dramatic issues. But I failed miserably, of course.

It's been a few years since I read Bleak House, but I remember it was one of my favourite Dickens novels. Not a very "typical" Dickens novel, if there is such a thing (for example he plays with narrative modes a bit, which he doesn't usually do), but nicely structured and overall a good read in my opinion.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles