Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

I was thinking about offering several sites links and stuff for the project (whew, project makes it sound so important )
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I've done some work on the CPU and RAM sections. Will be back after the weekend with some massive updates and a couple points to discuss.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Looks great & very informative. If you want, you can just submit what you like and I'll take care of putting it into the guide. The other option (seeing as how you're already organizer) would be that you create any sections you want. Feel free.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jan 4 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]273261[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Linux:
Don't know that much about Linux OS'es, so I can't tell you much about them.
* Damn Small Linux: Bootable CD or bootable floppy that starts the CD (in case your machine is not compatibile with some types of bootable CD's; can happen, had that myself). Can install on your hard drive or run off a ramdisk (portion of your RAM reserved by the program and turned into a virtual hard drive) if you have 128 MB or more. Not sure how much system resources it needs to operate with full GUI, the basic command line should work smoothly even on a 486.
[/b]
DSL is very undemanding and a 486 is more than enough processing power to allow the X-Windows GUI to work. I think DSL is a good idea as a backup OS, because even if you have a DOS-type bootloader written to the MBR on your hard-disk like I have with FreeDOS, you can still boot up in Linux with a DSL LiveCD. In the case of DSL, you can even set aside a tiny 50 Megabyte Linux partition on your hard-disk and then have the option of booting up with either a full-featured modern Linux (DSL) or DOS.
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #15
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazedloon @ Jan 6 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]273620[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
DSL is very undemanding and a 486 is more than enough processing power to allow the X-Windows GUI to work. I think DSL is a good idea as a backup OS, because even if you have a DOS-type bootloader written to the MBR on your hard-disk like I have with FreeDOS, you can still boot up in Linux with a DSL LiveCD. In the case of DSL, you can even set aside a tiny 50 Megabyte Linux partition on your hard-disk and then have the option of booting up with either a full-featured modern Linux (DSL) or DOS.
[/b]
First of all, if that is so, you just made my day. Second, what does MBR mean? And can I install DSL to my harddrive? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I have no idea.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #16
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

Yes Henning it is possible to install DSL to your hard-drive, and it comes with all the necessary drivers to run your hardware. The MBR is the Master Boot Record section of your harddisk, and DSL Linux comes with both GNU GRUB and LILO bootloaders (when you install to hard-disk you can choose which bootloader to write to the MBR to start up Linux). The nice thing about Linux is that you can mount non-Linux partitions (like your FAT16/32 partition), resize them, format them, and do file and directory operations on their contents.
crazedloon is offline                         Send a private message to crazedloon
Old 07-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #17
win98
In the loop on hardware.

It's good since where I live its the summer holidays meanig more time to work on it for me.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazedloon @ Jan 7 2007, 01:45 AM) [snapback]273634[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yes Henning it is possible to install DSL to your hard-drive, and it comes with all the necessary drivers to run your hardware. The MBR is the Master Boot Record section of your harddisk, and DSL Linux comes with both GNU GRUB and LILO bootloaders (when you install to hard-disk you can choose which bootloader to write to the MBR to start up Linux). The nice thing about Linux is that you can mount non-Linux partitions (like your FAT16/32 partition), resize them, format them, and do file and directory operations on their contents.
[/b]
Okay, I guess I'm going with dual-boot FreeDOS and DSL. Thanks for your help!

Also win98, thanks for joining up & I hope you have fun. This thing is already shaping up into something pretty nice.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
crazedloon
Forum hobbit

OK, but you will have problems if you install DSL to hard disk first. So first install FreeDOS, then use XFDISK (under FreeDOS binaries) to create your Linux partition, then (still in FreeDOS) install XOSL (Extended Operating Sys Loader). Then reboot with the DSL CD and install to hard disk with Lilo bootloader option.

If you do this, you will have a screen when you boot up the computer, with options for which OS you want to boot up with.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #20
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Don't remind me about those problems. I had tons of them with freedos and ubuntu once.
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98