Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #51
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
I thought you have enough examples for this ...in Flash format?
Not only that, take Mount & Blade for example. Created by a Turkish couple, two people only who designed and programmed it all by themselves, it's as great as any other big corporate, more famous game, even if not with the top-notch graphics. But I think you can't have both super graphics and great fun in a game, one of the two is always a bit lower than the other, depending on what was the focus when making the game.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 21-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #52
Wicky
the little viking

You might consider having 2 Goethes working on a single book together... or how about 50 Shakespeares working on a single poem? But how many geniuses does it take to paint a Mona Lisa, huh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

Todays gaming is like 1 creative mind and 99 graphic programmers, and the creative mind has about 1/100 percent to say in the developement.

Thanks Scatty.

Last edited by Wicky; 21-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 22-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #53
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

One bad artist and about 100 super marketing geniuses?
Old 22-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #54
aben5550
Lurker

Well I'll tell you why I'm here, I'm here because I get bored playing these new games that look incredible, but only get you five of six hours of gameplay, and even then that gameplay has been done so many different ways that I get tired of it. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of good games out there today, but they just don't last as long as they used to.
aben5550 is offline                         Send a private message to aben5550
Old 22-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #55
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Wasn't it always like that, Wicky? One genius architect and 100 of bricklayers?

There are counter-examples, too. A genius filmmaker/director + composer + screenwriter...
Or a mural painted collectively by few artists.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 22-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #56
Wicky
the little viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Wasn't it always like that, Wicky? One genius architect and 100 of bricklayers?
If you promise to never, ever compare the laying of bricks with programming again (!!!!) then yeah: it was always like that.
Old 27-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #57
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

To play Baldur's gate of course.
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 27-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #58
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Here on the forum?
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 28-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #59
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Wow, did I just click on this thread or is it my imagination?! These are the most depressing posts I've read in a while on AB. You know what? I'm here because I'm your archnemesis - I enjoy both new and old games, and I really want to make you sufferrrr!

One thing I don't understand. You guys are serious when you compare a game like Civilization to Civilization IV for example? I personally played both of them. The first Civ is a sad piece of work by today's standards (boring, unrewarding etc), while Civ IV is everything that I wanted at the time I played it. Of course I now speak objectively - I can still easily get in the right mood and enjoy the first Civilization as well.

I also heard a myth here which says that devs nowadays give less attention to detail. Compare the walls of Doom to the walls of Doom 3, compare Half-Life's world to the one in Half-Life 2, Legend of Kyrandia to The Whispered World and Syberia, the random dungeons of Diablo to the finely crafted mythical world of Titan Quest etc etc. There is a tremendous amount of detail going on in today's games, not to mention they have an entire army of artists. Yes, even such games as Call of Duty: Black Ops have plenty of art in them. Who else would make the artwork, art concepts, models, level design, cutscenes, script writing etc?

In fact there's so much detail, it spawned an entire genre that makes you dig through crap minutiae - its name is Hidden Object games.

You guys also failed to notice that genres such as FPSs have long since attained perfection in terms of gameplay. You really want another raw Doom in 2011? How would a developer make its product stand out from the mass of generic FPSs, without shifting the focus on graphics (Crysis), atmosphere (Bioshock), presentation (Call of Duty franchise), gadgets (Crysis again, Singularity, Half-Life 2) or cross-genre-ing (Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Portal, Zeno Clash, Sanctum).

At the same time, the gaming industry has evolved considerably. Until mid-90s it was pretty niche. Now there are all kinds of gamers, from moms and grandpas to "hardcore" players that only played a single game in their entire life, and it has "craft" in its title. The industry went gargantuan, but you as the Old Guard kept your interests relatively the same, thus you have become niche. To find what you're looking for, you need to look harder, because no matter how many casual players there will be, there's always something to please you too. But are you? Many of you are fans of Panzer General, but how many of you do know of Panzer Corps? Many of you are fans of Jagged Alliance but how many of you heard of Team Assault: Baptism of Fire? It gets funnier, because they're both published by the same company, and relatively easy to find if you want to...

It's incredible that in this amazing ocean of both indie and mainstream titles you still can't find something that you'd like. I need to back up TC on this: you really do sound like deprecating geezers. I won't start listing all the worth-noting hardcore titles of 2011 as I usually would do, because it's your gaming life - you manage it.

As a conclusion I want to say something I've learned after playing quite a few games. When you start a new game, you need to have the right mindset. If you begin with "This game is new, therefore it is crap. I shall play it just to attest historically that all the latest games are crap." you already lost. You will never enjoy it the way you should be. And by the looks of this thread, this is exactly what happened here. Even worse - some of the major complainers have failed to even play the games they criticize so desperately...
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 28-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #60
Wicky
the little viking

Nothing wrong with your post, except that "Stalker" should have served as example for most atmospheric games, not .. Bioshock?

Signed. Would you like to have my seat as archnemesis? I'm old and (re)tired, I'm outta here!