Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-03-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Default LaFey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
- J.R.R Tolkien's War in Middle Earth - Got the copy protection codes and review is ready. However, for some reason I cant get the game run on dosbox.
Hallelujah!

As per http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=9601

I have the box shots, and everything scanned (manual and map). Feel free to PM me for this stuff when you are ready OR to at least acknowledge you received this.

Oh and btw - getting it to work in Dosbox isn't an issue at all - works like a charm - what sort of problem are you running into?
LaFey is offline                         Send a private message to LaFey
Old 15-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

Great, noted down, thanks!

Each uploader gets his own topic where we can look up stuff contributed by him, so I split your post.

EDIT: Wait, JMB just uploaded the same stuff I think:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...280#post356280

But if you have something else for the game please tell us.

Last edited by Japo; 15-03-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 15-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
EDIT: Wait, JMB just uploaded the same stuff I think:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...280#post356280

But if you have something else for the game please tell us.
I'll have to see what there is after the upload - but basically it ought to be nearly the same thing. If you want me to send the manual & map somewhere for comparison I'll be happy to do it.

Hey, the more the merrier - considering that this stuff was nowhere to be seen until (well, until this very day), having all the feelies in one place is great news.
Old 15-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Ah good - Battles of Napoleon and Waterloo got approval - great.

Going to start scanning ASAP.
Old 15-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

For boxshots (+disks) it doesn't matter if we have them already, as long as they are not the same (means: really the same, not the same edition).
Since you scanned the map and manual already, it would really be a waste to not even compare them with Pigggy's stuff.
PM sent.
Old 15-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

If the stuff for War in Middle Earth is already in digital format, so it doesn't mean more scanning effort, please upload it anyway, and we'll take a look.

Were you already told how to upload?

EDIT: Luchsen beat me
But it's JMB not Pigggy, you must have mistaken both aryan avatars

Last edited by Japo; 15-03-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 15-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Paco and Luchsen were kind enough to enlighten me on how to upload - in five minutes my WIME stuff is with you lot
Old 15-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

What are the odds of that? We posted our messages within five minutes of each other. lol This happened once before with Isles of Terra manual and both were added because was was a lo-res and one hi-res. As LeFey can attest the game map is large. I had to scan it in nine sections and then re-assemble it. Came out with an 8.15 MB jpg because I did not want to downsize it and lose detail. The manual is sometihng like 13 MB.

I don't want LeFeys or my work to go for naught but if his is better I'll understand. Hopefully both will work.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 15-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
What are the odds of that? We posted our messages within five minutes of each other. lol This happened once before with Isles of Terra manual and both were added because was was a lo-res and one hi-res. As LeFey can attest the game map is large. I had to scan it in nine sections and then re-assemble it. Came out with an 8.15 MB jpg because I did not want to downsize it and lose detail. The manual is sometihng like 13 MB.

I don't want LeFeys or my work to go for naught but if his is better I'll understand. Hopefully both will work.
Ah well - the more the merrier - has I said - and it may even be to everyone's credit as I'll explain:

You see, War in Middle Earth - came in two main flavours - 16 bits and 8 bits versions. The 8 bit version of the game is substantially different from the 16 bits version - and even though in my own modest opinion both are part of the history of gaming - the 8-bit version, given its scope might even be considered more revolutionary. But nothing else could be expected from the genius of Mike Singleton (by the way the PC remakes of Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge are highly recommended). The 16 bit version itself came in two versions: Big box and small box. The big box release is the PC release, the small box versions are for Amiga and Atari ST - and the smaller box size is exactly the same size has the 8 bit versions (Speecy and C64). Now, on the big box - we also have that insanely large folded map which JMB - to his immense credit did the mammoth task of scanning - and a slightly larger manual - larger both in terms of dimensions - since contents on both map and manual (despite some minor typos) are the exact same.

So - my box scans and disk scans are from the PC big-box release, my map is from the small box 16-bit release (Amiga), which was somewhat easy to scan, fitting in a single go in my A4 scanner bed - and the manual is from the 16-bit small box release too - the difference in manual dimensions is about 1 inch btw.

Hope to have helped. I, by the way, own both 16-bit large and small box releases of the game, and also an 8-bit version.
Old 15-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

LaFey's manual seems to lack pages 30 till 47, but it is prettier and smaller in filesize (would be under 10MB if complete).

Last edited by Luchsen; 15-03-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Luchsen is offline                         Send a private message to Luchsen