Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #21
Toxik
Game Wizzard

I think im another of those guys that cant get this running.
And yes i read the note.but the game crashes again even when i try it the second,third..xth time.
I tried it in windows,Dosbox,Usind d-fend frontend
in d-fend it crashes even when i set the "quit dosbox after game ends"option off,i tried loadfix...
Im somewhat desperate because i really want to play

(and OT question about Elite 2- I dont meet any ships other than pirates,and theyre like 5 in every solar system+plus they act very weird-sometimes,they dont attack,they fly thousands kms away,returning to me just the moment i compress time-its really bothering,so i would like to know if its normal)
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 22-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #22
Ashes

Check the notes on your map, many systems have quite good police, so you don't have to watch out for pirates, but if you attack a trader unprovoked, and it gets away... then you will have a bounty placed on your head by the police, and will be attacked. Also, the ai does wait for you to have the disadvantage of being under time compression, so that pattern is normal for trying to collect a bounty. Pirates would leave very far beyond the reach of your short-range radar, if that much.

Didn't mention it before, but I know that at least Elite Plus, Frontier Elite II, and Frontier: First Encounters, are not actual abandonware, they are instead freeware that is still acknowledged by their creators. (though it was FFE was made freeware less than a year ago) I don't know which other versions and ports are also still acknowledged, but of these three I am sure.

Old 22-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #23
Orichifunk

I can't get it working either. It just crashes after the intro. Anyone please help? A shame it doesn't work, since I REALLY want to play this.
Orichifunk is offline                         Send a private message to Orichifunk
Old 22-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #24
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

OK - I don't know what you guys are doing to play this... Use DOSBox and follow the instructions from the review!

Worked for the reviewer and it works for me (two different computers, one in real DOS, the other one in WinXp under DOSBox).

Quote:
Game needs EMS memory. When you type in “firstenc” a screen will show up. You press “y” here. Game will appear to have crashed. You simply type in “firstenc” once more and press “y” again. After that the game will start.
Are you sure you have enough memory? Maybe you should run the Loadfix (simply type loadfix and press enter right after starting DOSBox). D-Fend may not work at all.

The only other thing that may be wrong is the folder (I'm not sure, but I think it has to be the C:\firstenc (or something like that).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #25
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

Or, if one can't solve this problem, just keep the downloaded game from here on your computer and, in it's folder, copy the files located in this archive (only for Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP) After that open the file ffewin28.exe and enjoy ! k:
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 22-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #26
Toxik
Game Wizzard

Abi,you are a savior
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 22-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #27
Mongi

the reviewer graded this game a 3. He must be joking!

It's that kind of classics that actually allows one to speak of high art in computer games.

Really it's like giving first civ a 2.

Old 22-11-2005, 08:52 PM   #28
Delibator
Forum hobbit

I spent months playing this game everyday. Man...i even discover certain bugs that such as never deaccelated on an aproach to space terminal (planet or orbital). I simply put the time acc to the max, and the ship would go directly into docking (with auto pilot of course). That was the fastest and cheapest way to travel.

I bought all ships, did every kind of mission, (some missions are buggy) however i didn´t achieve the elite rank... 6000 kills????? That would take a full year playing every day...damn...

-Hey, to the people that say small ships are weak.
They are WEAK but sure are FAST. The downside is that becouse they only allow small lasers to be equiped, it would take about 10 minutes to beat an Imperial explorer.

Having said all of this, however i like small ships, my favorite ship of all times was one... the amazing Asp Explorer. This ship was good for everything...

Delibator is offline                         Send a private message to Delibator
Old 22-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #29
Delfino

I thinkl this game is probbably the best game in the history.

Well maybe it's not so attractive after you've played for 20 or more game years in Elite 2, but anyway it's great. And if you haven't played any Elite at all you may miss few years of your life with this one

Old 23-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #30
whatshisface
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via AIM to whatshisface Send a message via Yahoo to whatshisface

Hi.
I tried elite plus and absolutley HATED it! boxes, boxes, and more boxes! Is this game different or better than elite plus? Does it have less boxes? Should i get it?
whatshisface is offline                         Send a private message to whatshisface